Lately i have noticed that my right hand feels "stiffer" than my left hand. Ive compared the two in basic finger movement and my left hand is so much more agile while me right hand has a stiff, slow feeling. basically what i would like to know is this one of those work at it and it will get better things or could it be something else?
By the way i am not new to bass. Ive been playing for about a year and a half.
Maybe it's because your left hand does the fretting which requires you to be agile, while your right hand is stiff due to playing not requiring too much movement. Just a guess.

EDIT: Oops. Thought you were wondering what it was. Is it harming your playing ability? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.
Last edited by InvaderTSN at Jan 24, 2009,
At a year and a half you're still just a pup on any instrument.

Is this "condition" impeding your ability to play? You haven't mentioned any adverse affects to the 'stiffness' you're describing, so it's difficult to offer any advice.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Well too be honest i havent noticed a problem in my playing. Its more or less just something i noticed while twiddling my fingers around. this is what was leading me to belive that my playing might be..."held back" for lack of better words. From what i understand i just need to practice my speed and build up my hand strenght. I was just reading that stiffness was a sign of artheritis and i was worried. Thank you very much. Sorry if it was a stupid question.
the muscles in your forearm that are responsible for moving your fingers around, especially when moving quickly and extremely accurately at speeds extremely high relative to average hand use, have developed to be more agile, accurate, and strong and have more stamina because your left hand is the only one that gets that kind of "exercise". its not your right hand becoming stiffer, its your left hand becoming looser. its a good thing.
Read this: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/correct_practice/finding_the_incredible_lightness.html

It's talking about guitar, but the principle relates to bass as well.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
are you sure you're not just cold?

that happens to me.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Ha, you could be right to cause sometimes i get a little chill in my finger bones now and then.