So here's the deal.

My goal for 2009 is to completely renovate and upgrade my guitar setup, as you can tell by my signature, isn't the most jaw dropping. (Which is why you may see me posting many threads asking questions on many different things - sorry.)

Basically, I need a distortion pedal to push through a Blackheart Little Giant, with the matching 112 cab. (planned amp... one of the first purchases going to be made in the renovation) Price isn't too much of an issue, but keep it reasonable. It needs to be versatile in the sense of going from playing Avenged Sevenfold, or Every Time I die, to Boston and AC/DC.
Boss Os-2. its a distortion and an overdrive pedal all in one. i use it with my blackheart amp and it drives it quite nicely. i really like it, you should check it out.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

I would recommend an overdrive rather than a distortion to boost the Blackheart. I have a TS-9 and it is perfect for boosting my Rebel. I have it on pretty much all of the time, and it does a GREAT job.
Quote by GNRjungle87
I would recommend an overdrive rather than a distortion to boost the Blackheart. I have a TS-9 and it is perfect for boosting my Rebel. I have it on pretty much all of the time, and it does a GREAT job.

I was also thinking that, as most distortion pedals seem too digital, but I also thought my amp had something to do with it. (Once owned a Boss Metalcore pedal, returned it the next day lmao.)
if price isnt an issue you could buy two. i say that because you seem to want classic rock sound and metal sound which are usually seperate entities. youd probably be better off getting one for each, like a tube screamer/ tube screamer clone (i recommend the BBE green screamer) for moderate distortion and a metal specific distortion (i recommend an electroharmonics metal muff) and have the best of both worlds. trying to get one to do it all will usually make a sacrifice at one end of the spectrum or be "just OK" all around.
PS: try it before you buy it if at all possible.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
if price isnt an issue you could buy two. i say that because you seem to want classic rock sound and metal sound which are usually seperate entities. youd probably be better off getting one for each, like a tube screamer/ tube screamer clone (i recommend the BBE green screamer) for moderate distortion and a metal specific distortion (i recommend an electroharmonics metal muff) and have the best of both worlds. trying to get one to do it all will usually make a sacrifice at one end of the spectrum or be "just OK" all around.

Agreed. Maybe a Tubescreamer and an AC Booster if you're willing to spend a little bit more. That combo to me is just AMAZING!
Quote by MichaelOfCanton

That is also an option i've considered.
Quote by heminder
MXR 10-Band EQ

+1 a 6-10 band EQ is the first necessity for the tone nut that likes his amp overall. didnt even think of that at the time. check out the danelectro fish'n'chips seven band if you cant spend a lot and dont mind dealing with a little noise at very high gain or volume settings - theyre not great but they dont suck and its 1/3 the price of the MXR for 95% of the shaping ability. the MXR is the gold standard though and id recommend it if you can reasonably afford it.
EQs are amazing and very underrated...
cut and boost specific frequency into overdrive or hush...
you can shape any sound you want...
it's great for a solo boost if you're on stage...

i own both the Fish & Chips and the MXR 10-Band and they're both very good...
the Danelectro is a bargain for what it can do...
though it compresses slightly (even on bypass) and not quite as transparent as the MXR...

the Boss GE-7 to me is just a repackaged Fish & Chips...
:P
Last edited by heminder at Jan 24, 2009,
More then likely going to go with the MXR, going to see if my guitar center has one to sample. Also, with the Metal Muff, i've been reading reviews, and it seems alot of heavy metal people are reviewing it, therefore only giving that perspective. Some do mention that it can perform any type of distortion well though.

Again, probably something i'm just gonna need to try out.
I tried the Metal Muff and I loved it. By the way that's a nice wah pedal you have there.=p
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss SD-1
Quote by Zappanator
I tried the Metal Muff and I loved it. By the way that's a nice wah pedal you have there.=p

You too :P

I looked at videos of it, and it seems like it has too much distortion for me. I used to love it.. but i'm starting to like the warmer, more solid tones.