hey guys iv decided i should probably think of searchin for a new amp since im using a 15w fender practice amp..
the only thing is it needs to be QUIET!!, i live in a student house with 5 other students and i cant be annoying them , id like it to have a good tone though.. i dunno if this is pushing it good tone but quiet but any help will be appreciated
and tube=loud
so it wouldnt work for you
info please
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Tubes are almost always loud, man. Get a solid state practice amp - if you're just putzing around in your dorm with it, it's good enough.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
sorry, g-400 w/emgs,
i play classic rock, grunge, metal, progressive rock, my main interest though is slash's solos, pink floyd solos, and metallica solos. i thought id play mroe metal thats why i baught the emgs but i have more fun with what i already said.. while metallica is metal its not metal compared to todays standards

is there not 1w or 5w quieter tube amps?
Quote by JimmyBanks6
sorry, g-400 w/emgs,
i play classic rock, grunge, metal, progressive rock, my main interest though is slash's solos, pink floyd solos, and metallica solos. i thought id play mroe metal thats why i baught the emgs but i have more fun with what i already said.. while metallica is metal its not metal compared to todays standards

is there not 1w or 5w quieter tube amps?

Metal is metal, man.

Get a Cube 15. Problem solved.

I've heard good things about the low watt Vypyrs from Peavey as well.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
hey man, forget the tube part. and for great tone, try out the spider III series, preferably a 15w. Perfect distortion, killer cleans, and beautiful echoes all for $99.99
nah but rly...forget the tube part, and maybe a smaller crate or vox valvetronix?
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.
even the lowest wattage tube amp for cheap i could think of, the epi valve jr combo, will get very loud. you may wanna look at some good cheap solid states like a microcube or 20x or a peavey vypyr...

I learned the hard way, I was in a similar situation as you and I bought an 18 watt crate v18 for $149 a while back. But I have to keep on volume 3 or less to keep from getting kicked out...way too much power

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
NOOOOO NOOO DO NOT GET A SPIDER III. WHATEVER YOU DO. DO. NOT. BUY. ONE.

terrible tone on every channel, "insane" setting blows, reverb sucks, mine died in under a year without really cranking it very often.

EDIT : haha sorry man I thought you were being serious at first. now I read that you were joking my bad for the double post

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Last edited by REV3LATI0N at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by REV3LATI0N
even the lowest wattage tube amp for cheap i could think of, the epi valve jr combo, will get very loud. you may wanna look at some good cheap solid states like a microcube or 20x or a peavey vypyr...

I learned the hard way, I was in a similar situation as you and I bought an 18 watt crate v18 for $149 a while back. But I have to keep on volume 3 or less to keep from getting kicked out...way too much power

Plus keep in mind that even if you can keep the volume on the tube amp low enough, the tone doesn't really come out of the tubes until they're hot and at a decent volume.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by REV3LATI0N
NOOOOO NOOO DO NOT GET A SPIDER III. WHATEVER YOU DO. DO. NOT. BUY. ONE.

terrible tone on every channel, "insane" setting blows, reverb sucks, mine died in under a year without really cranking it very often.

lulz, I wasn't being serious dude...i hate spiders..i have one and i beat the crap out of mine..
Quote by Jackolas

Active pickups? With a SS modeling amp?......No.

Get a low wattage tube amp and a power attenuator to keep the volume in check.Actives are meant to be used with tube amps and will sound poor through a SS modeling amp.You can get a decent hand made attenuator on Ebay for like 40 USD and they make plenty of low wattage tube amps for under 300 USD.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by strat0blaster
Plus keep in mind that even if you can keep the volume on the tube amp low enough, the tone doesn't really come out of the tubes until they're hot and at a decent volume.

Yeah Ive been messing with the idea of getting a weber attenuator cuz I know Im not hearing what the tubes were meant sound like when Im sitting at volume 3

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Quote by REV3LATI0N
Yeah Ive been messing with the idea of getting a weber attenuator cuz I know Im not hearing what the tubes were meant sound like when Im sitting at volume 3

I feel that - I bought a Peavey XXX 150 watter, then had to move into an apartment. Imagine the "oh sh*t" moment I had.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
get an orange tiny terror, i've seen them for 150 dollars, i dont know if they're tubes but, they are amazing and this is coming form a guy who can only test them, i don't have a job so i can't buy one. its tiny as well, or a raven or peavy vyper 20 and 15 watts respectivly
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by strat0blaster
I feel that - I bought a Peavey XXX 150 watter, then had to move into an apartment. Imagine the "oh sh*t" moment I had.

I had the same thing happen with my JSX, when you see 120 all tube watts it doesn't seem like much,but when you HEAR 120 watts it's deafening.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

ok seriously...if u dont have a price limit, go for a blackheart ministack..okay, sorry i tried to post a joke about the o so very famous spider III series and it failed epically. but rly go for the blackheart stack. i think its like 5 watts but is very amazing
Quote by Jackolas

Quote by strat0blaster

haha damn, you could do some serious damage with that

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Quote by dreams broken
ok seriously...if u dont have a price limit, go for a blackheart ministack..okay, sorry i tried to post a joke about the o so very famous spider III series and it failed epically. but rly go for the blackheart stack. i think its like 5 watts but is very amazing

Or the 15 watt handsome devil that they make.IIRC it has a switch that turns it from 15 to 7 watts and enough controls to squeeze a good amount of tones out of it.You can always throw a pedal in the mix if it isn't heavy enough for you.

Quote by The_Last_J
Any amp + a THD Hot Plate

The hot plate is really expensive and from my experiences sucks up your tone.You can find hand made attenuators that do just as well or better than the hot plate for a fraction of the price.

look at weber attenuators. much much cheaper. there are some good videos on youtube with demos of a weber attenuator used with an epi valve jr combo (a 5 watt combo tube amp)

http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

If you go the tube amp route, you would want an attenuator so you can let your tubes heat up and get that tube sound. It takes the extra heat from cranking the tube amps out of the signal and releases it as heat so you get a dirty sound at lower volumes (from what I understand)

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Last edited by REV3LATI0N at Jan 24, 2009,
You might also want to look at the Eliot Tone Dial.It's what I use for my JSX and it works great,it's also hand made and costs less than 50 usd.

Here's a link to some reviews for it:

Tone Dial

I have a Boss GT-10. It's nice because I can headphone it when I want to play late at night. It also sounds very good if set-up correctly. I hook mine up to computer speakers and it still sounds amazing. Can't wait to get the JC120.
Vox VT15? If your budget is low, you might wanna consider them.. Anyway, sound level can be adjusted without spoiling tone and there's a setting which made my guitar sound(almost) like slash's.

And if you wanna hear every detail of your tone, you can always plug in some headphones..
Tube amp + attenuator/volume box = win
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by dreams broken

I have that amp.

Blackheart Little Giant. It's a 5/3w switchable tube "halfstack" (head on a 1x12 cab). Sounds great and all, but it gets pretty frackin loud.

What you can do (and what I should probably do) is get that, and a Weber MiniMass attenuator. Keeps the volumes down and still gives you that crazy-awesome Marshall-y tube crunch.

You like AC/DC? Sounds close to perfect on this bad boy. I haven't tried Slash's tone yet. Well, lack of interest is probably why....

Oh, and I would have taken this to GB&C. There is much knowledge to be had over there.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I'm almost with Natrone. Bump it up to a Handsome Devil model as the attenuator is going to suck the treble out of the amp and the extra presence knob on the HD will help bring it back.

Now if I want to play dead silent with the exception of the strings, I plug into my little vypyr and use headphones.
Quote by Sin City Sid
I'm almost with Natrone. Bump it up to a Handsome Devil model as the attenuator is going to suck the treble out of the amp and the extra presence knob on the HD will help bring it back.

Now if I want to play dead silent with the exception of the strings, I plug into my little vypyr and use headphones.

That sounds almost exactly like what I do, except I have a crappy Frontman 15G

I think I might get a Vypyr sometime as a practice amp just so I can play electric stuff late at night.

Oh, and I recommended the Little Giant because I have it, and I feel more comfortable recommending something I own or have played extensively than something I've never even seen before.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
That sounds almost exactly like what I do, except I have a crappy Frontman 15G

I think I might get a Vypyr sometime as a practice amp just so I can play electric stuff late at night.

100 bucks new, ya can't go wrong.
Quote by strat0blaster

Insta Eviction

Lol could you imagine moving in, walking past the superintendent with a 4 12 cab. And of course a big smile on your face
Last edited by XJudX at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by XJudX
Insta Eviction

Lol could you imagine moving in, walking past the superintendent with a 4 12 cab. And of course a big smile on your face

LoL I remember my first app. , Moving day I come in with a marshall 4x12 cab and a peavey 4x12 cab a couple heads and a couple sscombos with a 1/2 dozen guitars. I had a tama kit lol the neighbors looked scared haha TY for reminding me hahahha.