Can anyone tell me any bands, or individual players of funk bass that I should know of, and might teach me a few things? I know the Chili's are pretty good for it, but I want some of the original styles that Flea learned from, along with others. It's in my opinion that Funk Bass is probably the best kinda Bass out there. Thanks in advance.
The Meters are great. Also look up P-Funk. Curtis Mayfield had a killer bass player (it might have even been him).
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Graham Central Station, any solo Larry Graham, Sly and the Family Stone, maybe try out some Frank Zappa some of his songs were dripping with funk

even jackson 5 is well worth it
Bootsy Collins.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Honestly TS, the Chili's are probably the worst funk based band to learn funk from

On top of the artists mentioned above, LISTEN TO ****ING TOWER OF POWER!! Flea isnt even a hair on Rocco Prestia's arse.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Parliamentary, George Clinton, James Brown, Sly and the family Stone
i enjoy head
Kinda hoping these bands aren't TOO fast. lol I'm not exactly a SUPER fast bassist yet. Learning the Chili's music has helped out, even though I know it's not very good in terms of learning funk based things. Listening to the original funk is how it's done though. I learn as much as I can from every bassist I know of. Flea has at least helped up my speed. lol Just Like Jaco helped with Harmonics and speed, and Victor Wooten helped me be a little more creative (But I'm still not good. lol)
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
Honestly TS, the Chili's are probably the worst funk based band to learn funk from

On top of the artists mentioned above, LISTEN TO ****ING TOWER OF POWER!! Flea isnt even a hair on Rocco Prestia's arse.

so true.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The Bamboos, Betty Davis, Louis Johnson (his work on Michael Jackson's Off the Wall album is great), The New Mastersounds, Pleasure (their song Glide is wonderful), Soopasoul, The Staples Singers, The Commodores...

Just get your toes in the water.
The Meters, Parliament, Infectious Groove, Jaco Pastorius ( listen to come on come over or ocus pocus), Marvin Gaye, and Stevie Wonder.

Id also check out Galactic, its a new orleans funk/jazz band with really good insturmentals.

and

The Dirty Dozen Brass Band, the baritone sax = sexy funky basslines
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by AfroRockerMike
Kinda hoping these bands aren't TOO fast. lol I'm not exactly a SUPER fast bassist yet.

Funk isn't all about speed. Funk is about feel, about moving yourself and your audience. Sure, you could do that by playing a billion notes in three seconds - but you could also do it by playing a completely minimalist line. Groove, baby.

Galactic is a great suggestion, as is the Dirty Dozen Brass Band. I've always thought the tuba was playing lines a slap basser would.

More suggestions - The Sound Stylistics, Osaka Monaurial, The Quantic Soul Orchestra.
Actually Rocco Prestia made this month's Bass Player mag. First one I've enjoyed in a while.

Everyone has mentioned most of the obvious, but here's a few more.

Check out Ohio Players and early Commodores as well. Brick House is a nice easy finger funk song. If you can find some Redding's, they are wonderful as well.
Check out Dyke and The Blazers, especially the songs Funky Walk and Funky Broadway.

Very funky, as you can probably tell from the song titles
On the bass forum there is a lot of flea bashing mate, but there's nothing wrong with learning from him as a beginner as I did the same and I still like some of his work, although I know theres better than him out there.

All the suggestions that have been posted are good, so go check some out dude and you'll funking away in no time
Quote by Big Mac n Fries
On the bass forum there is a lot of flea bashing mate, but there's nothing wrong with learning from him as a beginner as I did the same and I still like some of his work, although I know theres better than him out there.

All the suggestions that have been posted are good, so go check some out dude and you'll funking away in no time

Its to counteract alot of the undeserved attention he gets. People who dont have much taste in music generally view him as the end-all-be-all of bass playing, when hes only really decent as a player, and has sh!t for technique. I mean, hes been known to injure himself fairly frequently slapping.

But yes, i guess you could consider him "Funk for beginngers", i just dont think the TS is really going to learn that much about the genre from a "funk influenced" band (and other than their first few records theyve been scaling back on funk). It would be like learning metal from listening to 3 Days Grace.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
Its to counteract alot of the undeserved attention he gets. People who dont have much taste in music generally view him as the end-all-be-all of bass playing, when hes only really decent as a player, and has sh!t for technique. I mean, hes been known to injure himself fairly frequently slapping.

But yes, i guess you could consider him "Funk for beginngers", i just dont think the TS is really going to learn that much about the genre from a "funk influenced" band (and other than their first few records theyve been scaling back on funk). It would be like learning metal from listening to 3 Days Grace.

I completley know where you're coming from, I've had so many of my mates say I'm a great player but when I play slap bass they just compare me to Flea, which as you can imagine is very annoying.

I just don't think he deserves as much stick as he gets. Although you are very right about his technique, it is pretty poor.
Quote by Big Mac n Fries
I completley know where you're coming from, I've had so many of my mates say I'm a great player but when I play slap bass they just compare me to Flea, which as you can imagine is very annoying.

I just don't think he deserves as much stick as he gets. Although you are very right about his technique, it is pretty poor.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/thefitz/blog/first/

2nd blog from the top, all you need to know about Flea
Quote by thefitz
Along with the bands stated try looking into Average White Band, Chic, Kool & The Gang, Isaac Hayes, Fishbone. And a lot of earlier west coast has a lot of laid back funky basslines ome of them are worth checking out.
Quote by 6stringbasshred
Jamiroquai, Tower Of Power and Some Bill Withers

Bill Withers gets often over looked. Most people know "Ain't no Sunshine" but damn, "Use me" is one funky-ass song.
Galactic, the brothers johnson, p-funk all stars, bootsy collins (also w/ james brown), and in some cases for bass, Phish.
Quote by anarkee
Bill Withers gets often over looked. Most people know "Ain't no Sunshine" but damn, "Use me" is one funky-ass song.

Thats what made me think, damn, that is funky!
There's a compilation album out there, called millenium Funk.

Take a look at the tracklisting(http://www.amazon.com/Millennium-Party-Funk-Various-Artists/dp/B000007RQ9)

It's a good overview of a lot of different artists.

Oh, and as mentioned, Francis Rocco Prestia is incredible.

There's a Rocco tab book thats pretty fun to mess around with, only 16 songs, but I like his music, so it's worth it to me.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.