Hey Guys,

I found this old Yamaha 12 string guitar (FG-512). And it needs new tuners. They have the classical style where if you replace one, you replace em all.

They havent made this guitar since 1981. Do I have much hope of finding replacement tuners?

Thanks
Eden
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
It is just a pole with a hole. But the spacing of these poles varies from guitar to guitar. So If I bought just a standard row, the poles might be spaced larger or smaller than my yamaha.
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
Thanks for your help guys. I've fixed the broken peg (For the 4th time).
So have you eventually found appropriate tuners?

I've got the same guitar and think about replacing them, too.
Quote by MrMelody
So have you eventually found appropriate tuners?

I've got the same guitar and think about replacing them, too.
Well, they say, "history is the best teacher". So, I can't help admiring your bold endeavor to reach back through time and space in search of knowledge.

OTOH, this thread is from 2009, and this member member hasn't made a post since May, 2011. So, you're likely beating a dead horse asking him questions,

Your Yamaha, (AFAIK), has a paddle head stock. So, you would need 6 right hand and 6 left hand, "mini tuners". Note, "mini tuner", NOT standard size tuners. Minis are the only type that will work on "6 in line" head stocks. A 12 string paddle head stock is, for all intents and purposes a right and a left hand 6 in line head stocks, fused together.

BUT, the easiest way to fashion a set for your 12 string, is to order 2 (two) 3 X 3 mini sets.

(6 in line sets in the opposite hand are much harder to come by).

Here are two possibilities which should work with minimal alteration, (brace yourself for the prices to come): http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Solid_Peghead_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/Schaller_M-6_Mini_3and3_Guitar_Machines.html

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Solid_Peghead_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/Gotoh_Mini_510_3and3_Tuners_with_Metal_Knobs.html

The easiest way to verify the size of the peg holes in your guitar, (I suppose), would be to get a set of metric drill bits, and see what size just fits the holes.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 18, 2016,