Page 1 of 2
Hi there!!!! Some of you may know that i have started doing some theory in the past 2 - 3 weeks. I want to see how far ive come! I know im still far from knowing everything if thats even possible, but i was wondering if anyones generous enough to test me on anything there is about music theory. Hopefully if i see something i dont know, ill look into it and know it at the end of the day, adding +1 point to my guitar/music mastery!

Please try not to answer the questions given to me... thanks!!!! <---- IGNORE ME

Edit: O and u can post more than 1 question at a time if u want )

<3,<3

EditEDIT: SINCE THERES lots of QuesTioNS AND HALF OF THEM IS OUT OF MY LEAGUE, U GUYS CAN ANSWER THEMM )
Last edited by dmirtygorachyov at Jan 24, 2009,
^I'm glad i know some theory,
anyway, to the point:
http://www.funtrivia.com/flashquiz/index.cfm?qid=176772
what are the notes to Am Pentatonic and G#Locrian?
(easier) what is the sequence to the major scale?
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
Quote by CHOCOmoney
what is the interval between C and F#

i know im not TS but is it the note between the 2 of those?
Quote by tastes_of_ink
What is a plagal mode?

what is that? and i thought i knew some theory
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Last edited by F8iscruel at Jan 24, 2009,
Me too! I just started Music Theory AP at my high school this semester. Ok here's a few questions:

1) How many sharps are in the key of A?
2) What interval(s) is sharpened in the harmonic minor scale?
3) What is a related time signature to 2/4 meter?
4) What is the relative major to Bm?
5) What is the difference between the Ionian mode and the Major scale?
Ibanez RGT42DX
-D'Addario .09-.42
Washburn X10
-Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottem
Cort 5 String Bass

Kustom Arrow 160FX
Electro-Harmonix-Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Digitech-Grunge

alright so is TS gonna answer any of these? or is he just looking up the answers?lol.
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
Quote by r3conmarine90
Me too! I just started Music Theory AP at my high school this semester. Ok here's a few questions:

1) How many sharps are in the key of A?
3) What is a related time signature to 2/4 meter?
4) What is the relative major to Bm?

oh please TS can i try answering these. i want to test my self teaching that i got from UG
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by RHCP987123
^I'm glad i know some theory,
anyway, to the point:
http://www.funtrivia.com/flashquiz/index.cfm?qid=176772
what are the notes to Am Pentatonic and G#Locrian?
(easier) what is the sequence to the major scale?

A minor pentatonic = A C D E G (A)

G#Locrian isss = G# A B C# D E F# G#

Note taht i had my guita with me when asnwering these questions, is that cheating?
Quote by tastes_of_ink
What is a plagal mode?

Thats out of my league lol, but it would be nice if you could tell us what they are
The plagal mode is a type of Gregorian mode (used in church/monk chanting) where the tonic is the fourth note in the scale.

Mode's are considered quite an integral part of classical musical theory knowledge, there are plenty of resources where you can learn about this, most school text books will cover them to some extent.
what is the difference between Fb and G# major if im thinking correctly
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
what is the difference between Fb and G# major if im thinking correctly

I think you mean F# Major and Gb Major.

Anyway TS, what is the most common usage of the raised seventh in the harmonic minor scale?
sig goes here
Quote by r3conmarine90

1) How many sharps are in the key of A? 3 Sharppss!
3) What is a related time signature to 2/4 meter? Have no idea, havent started looking into time signatures yet lol.
4) What is the relative major to Bm? DMAJORRRR!!!

1.3 Sharppss!
2.I think its the 7th degree isit? the minor 7th? i cant remember my melodic and harmmonic yet
3. Have no idea, havent started looking into time signatures yet lol.
4.DMAJORRRR!!!
5. ones a mode, ones a scale
Quote by Skater901

Anyway TS, what is the most common usage of the raised seventh in the harmonic minor scale?

yah your right i was trying to remember the Circle of 5ths, im not so good at it.
Quote by dmirtygorachyov

3. Have no idea, havent started looking into time signatures yet lol.

i believe that it is 8/4ths time i love power tab
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by Skater901

Toget that arabian kind of sound, im not sure but i hear it in Alladin allot
Quote by dmirtygorachyov
Toget that arabian kind of sound, im not sure but i hear it in Alladin allot

Well that wasn't what I was thinking of, although you could be correct. The answer I was looking for was to create a V - i progression.
sig goes here
Analyze this. Tell me what chord appears in each measure.

Quote by Skater901
Well that wasn't what I was thinking of, although you could be correct. The answer I was looking for was to create a V - i progression.

Meh. It's to get the leading tone of a minor scale, which makes a V - i progression.

EDIT
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Last edited by SilverDark at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by SilverDark
Meh. It's to get the leading tone of a minor scale, which happens through a V - i progression.

Well it depends which way you want to look at it. Is it the V - i progression which results in the minor scale having a leading tone, or is it raising the leading tone in the minor scale which enables you to have a V - i progression?
sig goes here
Quote by Skater901
Well it depends which way you want to look at it. Is it the V - i progression which results in the minor scale having a leading tone, or is it raising the leading tone in the minor scale which enables you to have a V - i progression?

Raising leading tone makes V - i progression.

A minor: A B C D E F G A

A minor chord(the i): A C E
E minor chord(the v): E G B

A harmonic minor: A B C D E F G# A

A minor chord(the i): A C E
E major chord(the V): E G# B

oop, looked at previous post, lol.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Last edited by SilverDark at Jan 25, 2009,
Lolz. Glad we're both clear on that SilverDark.

TS: list all the standard modes and their scale degrees.
sig goes here
Mode's are considered quite an integral part of classical musical theory knowledge

What? Modes are virtually absent from classical music. I'd be hard pressed to name a single modal composition in the classical period.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
What? Modes are virtually absent from classical music. I'd be hard pressed to name a single modal composition in the classical period.

And how many classical pieces do you know exactly? Besides, I think what he meant is that it was the early composers that worked out the modes. In fact I believe it was the early church that worked them out, hence they're known as the church modes.
sig goes here
Alright...

Tonal theory-

Seeing a IV chord in a minor key is indicative of which commonly used modes or scales?

If you saw this written in figured bass notation (use your imagination), what note would you play in the bass voice? Ignore the dots.
.. 4
G 2

And some jazz harmony--

If I played a naturally occuring Maj7#11 chord in the key of C major...

Can you show me two different ways, using conventional resolutions, to get back to CMaj7 without using a G chord of any sort?

(Your modes will help you answer this one)
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
And how many classical pieces do you know exactly?

Many. More than that, I'm familiar with classical conventions.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Many. More than that, I'm familiar with classical conventions.

cool man, we must just come from different classical roots then, as alot of the music I come across (playing French Horn & Trumpet in symphony orchestras and Baroque groups) includes modal phrases to create a 'hook' just like pop songs throwing in a mandatory key change.
^An interval is the distance between two notes. Only one note is used, therefore there is no distance, therefore there is no interval, therefore you are a tasty troll.
This is like one of those trick questions in physics.
Quote by Archeo Avis
This

When the leading tone convention was invented, modes started dieing. Modes have been superseded by major/minor tonality with accidentals.

Now for a question:

Jazz improvising stuff:
What is the second 'mode' of the melodic minor scale and what chord could I improvise with it? I'm expecting the proper name, with the thinking that melodic minor is an alteration of the major scale (not the minor scale).

Name a scale or mode I'd use over a G#aug7 chord.

Harmony stuff:
What is the proper tritone sub of F7?

What chord would Ab°7 resolve to?

What is the name of the cadence of the above movement?

Counterpoint stuff:
Name one rule from first species counterpoint.

Name all 4 consonances.

Melody stuff:
Which tones must appear on stressed beats? As in ______ tones must be used on stressed beats.

I doubt T/S could answer all of these. I just wanted to show that T/S has alot more to learn and should study moar instead of making "Test me" threads. Anyone can answer those questions.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Jan 25, 2009,
Dorian b2
G#whole tone
B7 (Could be written Cb7 if you're modulating to Bb)
Bbb Major
leading tone imperfect authentic
Avoid parallel 5ths
M3/m6, m3/M6, P5, octave/unison
don't know
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
^Fucking smartass
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
I doubt T/S could answer all of these. I just wanted to show that T/S has alot more to learn and should study moar instead of making "Test me" threads. Anyone can answer those questions.

Being tested isn't studying?
I can't wait to tell my teacher!!!

Let him have his fun. I know for me it's a great review going over these questions.

(By the way, "moar" is spelled "more". Maybe you should study your spelling? )
Jesus loves you.
Quote by demonofthenight
^Fucking smartass

I do what I can. Are you in music school or do you just have too much free time?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Quote by SilverDark

Meh. It's to get the leading tone of a minor scale, which makes a V - i progression.

EDIT

I don't see any chords...

Quote by demonofthenight

Melody stuff:
Which tones must appear on stressed beats? As in ______ tones must be used on stressed beats.

What about syncopation?
Quote by demonofthenight
^An interval is the distance between two notes. Only one note is used, therefore there is no distance, therefore there is no interval, therefore you are a tasty troll.

Aha! Thats where ur wrong! according to wikipedia, the interval is a perfcect UnisoN! are u trying to tell us that ur smarter than wikipedia and wikipedia is wrong and everyones life is a lie and obama is not black????

ps, ive stopped answering questiosn for now because im still a slow thinker music theory wise,so ill keep practicing maybe in the next 3 months ill revive this thread to test myself again, thanks!!
Quote by dmirtygorachyov
Aha! Thats where ur wrong! according to wikipedia, the interval is a perfcect UnisoN! are u trying to tell us that ur smarter than wikipedia and wikipedia is wrong and everyones life is a lie and obama is not black????

ps, ive stopped answering questiosn for now because im still a slow thinker music theory wise,so ill keep practicing maybe in the next 3 months ill revive this thread to test myself again, thanks!!

O WAIT, I TAKE THAT BACK LOL, U R As SMART s wikipedia, I Misread ur thingy, SOrrreeeeee
Quote by SilverDark
Analyze this. Tell me what chord appears in each measure
EDIT

Invention 4? or 5?
Melody stuff:

There is no correct answer to this. A better question would be "According to <blank> convention, which notes tones would generally appear on stressed beats?"
^Because any theory is easier than jazz theory? imo, classical theory is so much harder than jazz theory.
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
I do what I can. Are you in music school or do you just have too much free time?
No music school for me
Quote by gonzaw
What about syncopation?
Congratulations, we have another smartarse
Okay, if there was to be a note on the first beat, what sort of tone would it be?
Quote by dmirtygorachyov
O WAIT, I TAKE THAT BACK LOL, U R As SMART s wikipedia, I Misread ur thingy, SOrrreeeeee
Haha, I'm as smart as wikipedia. I should sig that.
Quote by SilverDark
1. Dm
2. Tricky, C#dim? Logic says it's an A7 though
3. Dm, it's too easy when there's two voices
4. C#dim, meaning the 2 was probably C#dim too
btw, did you write this yourself? Tritones on stressed beats seems, odd
5. Dm
6. C#dim
7. Dm
8. Gm
9. C#dim
10. Dm

See there are chords in there. You just need to look harder. They're hiding.

Seriously, they're called "implied chords."
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Jan 26, 2009,
Page 1 of 2