Okay, my friend has an Ibanez S series and while we were jamming he was tuning his high e down and it snapped.

We were both just wondering, um....

HOW THE HELL DO YOU BREAK A STRING TUNING DOWN?!
Probably just a worn string.
Ihor

<current gear>
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Boss NS-2, TU-2, MT-2, DS-1, SD-1
haha thats why floyd roses are a pain. they break strings even when only given half a chance.
Any change in tension can be enough to snap a string, especially if it's been on the guitar for a while
all i can think of why is this:

you were de-tuning, the string gets looser...possibly a burr of some sort on the action causing the string to not properly loosen in the right spots, so the part from the neck->action would be getting looser, but the part from action->string ends would still be tight. he looked at it just the right way and it rebounded and snapped.

sounds like nonsense, but its phisiks
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
yeah, it kinda just happens. It's a real bummer though, it almost feels worse than when the high e breaks as you're stringing it up, it's like " I just bought this whole new pack of strings because the high e broke on the last set. " but you sometimes have to expect it to happen, tuning down though, you just don't see it coming.
Last edited by david_highland at Jan 25, 2009,
i once broke a b string playing an open low E note, **** happens just gotta live with it.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Was your friend's S user the lo trs or the ZR? If so, detuning your E string causes his springs to pull harder. Thus, making the high e string, at some point, got pulled.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by aradine
i once broke a b string playing an open low E note, **** happens just gotta live with it.

Exact same thing happened to me once. I was like But that was back then when I used strings from Target.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I remember breaking an A string while I was playing I Don't Know. It huwted my thumb
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
sharp bridge of nut... you just need to lubricate them (with carbon from a pencil for example)
my wierdest was a string breaking while it was sitting on the guitar stand lol
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I have only broken one string in all my guitar playing career (a year and a half) I had only been playing for about a week and I used the cheap tuner that came with my target guitar (my mom bought it she told me I would be able to pick one out but bought one without telling me) and It kept telling my my high E was flat so I kept tightening it and it obviously broke. Needless to say I never used that tuner again and promptly bought a new one.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor