I've noticed lately that I can really easily think of some cool sounding solos. Like, I'll be playing a chord song, and on a pause I'll get a riff, fill, or solo in my head that would fit perfectly in the song.

But after that, I can never figure out how to play what I'm hearing in my mind. I know that this will come with practice, but anyone else who has this problem, share your pain.

And if anyone had this problem and got past it, how'd you do it? I'd love to get some pointers.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Just record yourself playing notes slowly if you can and then try to identify them when playing it back. Otherwise, get someone to play the note when you're not looking and try to identify it. It took me some time before I was able to do it any good.

EDIT: Also, don't use tabs, learn stuff by ear. It helped me an insane amount when I decided that the method I listed above wasn't going to get me there in 2 weeks.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jan 25, 2009,
Thanks!

Anyone else? This has really been driving me crazy that I can't do it.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I find it useful to have a tape recorder or something near by. Then I can record the chord progression and then play over it, or just record yourself humming the riff/solo and then try to tab it out.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Natrone
I've noticed lately that I can really easily think of some cool sounding solos. Like, I'll be playing a chord song, and on a pause I'll get a riff, fill, or solo in my head that would fit perfectly in the song.

But after that, I can never figure out how to play what I'm hearing in my mind. I know that this will come with practice, but anyone else who has this problem, share your pain.

And if anyone had this problem and got past it, how'd you do it? I'd love to get some pointers.

That's just it, practice - it takes time to get good at matching up the sounds in your head to the sounds that come from the guitar.

Learning some basic theory would help immensely too - if you improve your understanding of the structure of music and how it works then you'll be better equipped to recognise the patterns in what you hear in your head.

Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Troy Stetina's fretboard master aims to build a connection between your ear and the guitar...
Can't reccomend it more
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I'm good at improvisation but I'm also very good at forgetting them :p
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R