Well....I have gym in about a week and the first unit we do is swimming, but since I learned how to swim in August because I never needed to know before, i'm a little sketchy. My brother told me that you have to swim normally, backstroke, dive and swim underwater, and tread water. I know how to swim normally and tread water, but I don't know much else, so I have a few questions...

1. Do you need to be able to float on your back normally to be able to backstroke?
2. When swimming underwater, how do you hold your breath without holding your nose, do you have to slowly breath out or something?
3. When diving, do you just kinda jump in headfirst?

Any help would be appreciated.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Go see U2, then you can say you contributed money to Bono's giant Irish tower built out of the blood, tears, and the hopes of African children.
Wait, isn't the class to teach you how to do such things?
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
For gym? I REALLY don't think that you'll have to know how to swim that well (if at all) to pass the class.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
They usually show you a video and demonstrate the stroke.

1... Yes, just tilt head back so water is past the ears and take a deeeeeeep breath.
2.You just stop breathing, and breathe out with your mouth gradually.
3. IDK, I never liked it, I just cannon ball it.
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
1. Do you need to be able to float on your back normally to be able to backstroke?

Yes. Or at least it would greatly, greatly help.

2. When swimming underwater, how do you hold your breath without holding your nose, do you have to slowly breath out or something?

Nope, just don't breathe.

No, it's actually kind of hard. Or at least it was for me. I never mastered it.

I took swimming lessons really young just because I live in Florida and we had a pool at the time, but I remember having difficulty floating. I know this might sound absurd and childish, but it really helps to have someone kind of support you while you're getting the hang of it; kind of just to put their arms under you and you actually end up floating naturally.

EDIT: If that even makes sense, lol.
"Love is the only thing that we can carry with us when we go, and it makes the end so easy." -Louisa May Alcott
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Wait, isn't the class to teach you how to do such things?

They quickly show you on the first day, but then they basically just push you in.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Go see U2, then you can say you contributed money to Bono's giant Irish tower built out of the blood, tears, and the hopes of African children.
Sorry, I would help, but I didn't take gym at your school...
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
By diving are you guys going off the blocks? And a couple really important things for backstroke is to keep your head back and your toes pointed.
Quote by Morgant
By diving are you guys going off the blocks? And a couple really important things for backstroke is to keep your head back and your toes pointed.

the blocks?
Quote by RU Experienced?
I had a swim class once a week in my elementary school. now that i think about it, it was kind of fucked up, because the old man who taught it changed with us.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by \m/_Chair_\m/
Well....I have gym in about a week and the first unit we do is swimming, but since I learned how to swim in August because I never needed to know before, i'm a little sketchy. My brother told me that you have to swim normally, backstroke, dive and swim underwater, and tread water. I know how to swim normally and tread water, but I don't know much else, so I have a few questions...

Someone get this kid some water wings!
I could make fun of you but instead I'll help you out since I'm in a friendly mood. Breathing underwater, or holding your breath rather is simple, if you can clog up your nasal passage own your own as if your talking like you have a cold, then the water won't seep in and obviously close your mouth too. If you move forward or have just dived head first into the water it is a lot easier too because you are aerodynamic and therefore cutting through the water. If you don't have a lot of fat on you like myself it is difficult to float but if you are only doing backstrokes then the arm movements will keep you steady and on your back. Not to mention I believe you're aloud to kick your feet when doing backstrokes as well so its even easier. When diving yeah you basically go in head first but you're gonna wanna put your hands out in front to avoid a head injury. Just act as if you were a fish and it all comes naturally. Explore and embrace the water rather than being overpowered by it and you can move around more comfortably.
For diving you do jump in head first but when starting out you usually begin by squating which isn't very scary so don't worry about it.
Blocks are those raised platforms that are pretty much made for diving. Or are you just off on the side?
Quote by andrew12398
For gym? I REALLY don't think that you'll have to know how to swim that well (if at all) to pass the class.

This. As long as it's not obvious that you're not trying, you should be fine.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
i like to swim
Quote by BladeSlinger
I'm about 5' 4" and have slightly furry feet.....I'm not going in a ****ing volcano though...

I love the Foo's!

GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!
About the swimming underwater part: just dont hold your nose. When i go under i usualy just let water get in. Yes, its anoying, but nothing to horrible, and having both hands free underwater is sooooo much more fun than only having one, because you can do all sorts of spins and stuff. If you really dont want water in your nose just blow trough it a LITTLE, right after you go under, so water wont be able to get in. Then the air in your nostrils will prevent the water from entering. Just remember not to roll on your back, than the air goes out and the water goes in.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by backswmr360
i like to swim

...thanks for sharing. me too.

Also, Foo's FAN!!!!!

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Just hold your breath',some people prefer to blow out of their mouth's.

Backstroke is essentially swum with your back on ( Or Close to) The top of the water, floating is essential, after all, you need to be able to float on your stomach for freestyle.

Diving was seemingly impossible for me when i started, after a few day's practice i could perform a dive.

Stick at it

How to swim breaststroke: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=T2YN3irK1N8

How to swim butterfly: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=hLn218BD-lQ

How to swim freestyle:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=IYuSMumlUk4

How to swim backstroke: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ukN7dCnd4lM
a little lost.....
I hate water

I always dreamt I would die of drowning
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
i'm in the same boat as you. Swimming sucks. I wish they didn't make it a requirement
There is no possible way you can learn to swim from the internet

EDIT:
Quote by x_I_AM_ME_x
i'm in the same boat as you. Swimming sucks. I wish they didn't make it a requirement

what?? swimming is probably the only thing you can learn in school that could actually save your life at some point.
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Last edited by Random88 at Jan 25, 2009,
I can't believe some of you guys didn't get lessons when you were little.. pretty much everyone did where I live..(and I live in the north of england, were there are no beaches and home poolz.

anyway:
1. I don't know how to describe it, but yes you do need to float.. it comes natural after you've mastered it.
2. Just keep your mouth shut, take breaths in when your head is above water, then under water hold your breath.
3. yeah, hands first though. I'm sure they'd teach you that part.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by \m/_Chair_\m/

Judging by the bolded part, it sounds like you don't like getting water up your nose. Neither do I. What I learned in my swimming lessons is to hum when swimming under water. Simply hun underwater and you will slowly expel air through your nose, which means no water up your nose!
Only drawback is when you swim beside people, they might be like "WtF?!"
Quote by \m/_Chair_\m/

I is lifeguard

1. Not really. I learned to backstroke before I could float on my back, the momentum helps a lot. If you want to be able to float you have to relax your muscles.

2. Just don't breath in. Water shouldn't go in. If it does either try breathing out or alternatively buy nose clips.

3. Yep. It's very counter-intuitive and I used to have lots of problems with it. Start by learning to dive sitting at the edge of the pool, then kneeling, then eventually standing.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
holding your breath is quite obvious how to do.
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by KennySG
holding your breath is quite obvious how to do.

seriously i dont understand why people cant do that
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I is lifeguard

1. Not really. I learned to backstroke before I could float on my back, the momentum helps a lot. If you want to be able to float you have to relax your muscles.

2. Just don't breath in. Water shouldn't go in. If it does either try breathing out or alternatively buy nose clips.

3. Yep. It's very counter-intuitive and I used to have lots of problems with it. Start by learning to dive sitting at the edge of the pool, then kneeling, then eventually standing.

We should start a club

In all honesty, there's no way you can learn just by what people tell you...half of it comes from people showing you how to do it, half of it comes from you trying it and letting people help you with technique. Think of it as when you first started learning to play guitar.

But seriously, I can't imagine life if I didn't learn to swim young. I took lessons when I was 4 and went through til the summer before I turned 17 and became a certified lifeguard. This past summer is the ONLY summer I didn't spend most of my days swimming, I was so disappointed when I realized that.
Quote by dudius
We should start a club

In all honesty, there's no way you can learn just by what people tell you...half of it comes from people showing you how to do it, half of it comes from you trying it and letting people help you with technique. Think of it as when you first started learning to play guitar.

But seriously, I can't imagine life if I didn't learn to swim young. I took lessons when I was 4 and went through til the summer before I turned 17 and became a certified lifeguard. This past summer is the ONLY summer I didn't spend most of my days swimming, I was so disappointed when I realized that.

I didn't learn till I was 11, before that I was terrified of the water.
Then I discovered that it was the only sport I'm really really good at.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Dude, in my gym class, they taught us all the basic easy stuff for the first half of the class, then let us goof off and jump off the diving boards for the last half of every class. It was super easy and fun, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, man. It's pretty chill.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
You gotta learn how to swim up that pink corridor to reach the ultimate goal. survival of the fittest my friend!
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
I'm a terrible swimmer. I can't float but I can do backstroke. Just make sure your chest is up and your head is back. Try not to look back at your feet or the rest of you, even though you'll want to at first.

You don't need to hold your nose underwater. You don't even need to breathe out. Try holding your breathe right now, in front of your computer. It's pretty esy, right? Well, that's exactly what you do underwater. No water will go in, unless you laugh or something like that. If you have to go upside-down for any reason, I highly recommend holding your nose, but other than that, you shouldn't need to.

As for diving, the classic belly-flop works for me.
XIAOXI