ok im swapping out the pickups i have atm
and i just want to know what a good pickup is for punk and alternative(2 humbuckers)
i want something very versatile because i tend to play whatever
also is it possible to get black nickel covers for pickups?
It's mostly preference. You might find a pickup that you like the tone of but others wont.
im gunna need more info than that i generally like the sound of most seymour duncan pickups but i just want a recommendation
You're REALLY going to have to give a bit more detail on what you want that than. There are a bunch of pickups that can really "do anything"
i want a generally punk sound (almost anything punk but a good rise against sound)
and i also want the pickup to be versatile because i dont stick to a single sound
Yeah... not real sure what the best pups for you are BUT, The pickups in the RR3 pro series (Seynour Duncans B: TB4, N: Jazz SH2N) are pretty versatile, i reckon the't would Cover it quite well IMO
Quote by kennel
i want a generally punk sound (almost anything punk but a good rise against sound)
and i also want the pickup to be versatile because i dont stick to a single sound

Well i'll point you back to my first post which fits the description you're talking about.
Dear god I'm facepalming so hard right now.

Right, before anyone can suggest anything which will be even remotely helpful, you need to cover a few things:
  • What amp do you have?
  • What guitar do you have?
  • What pedals do you use (if any)?
  • What is your budget and where do you live?
  • What is wrong with your current tone and in what way do you want to improve it (e.g. do you want more bass, more treble, less bass, less treble, just more responsive, etc)?
  • Rather than just saying it is for 'punk' (which can cover a huge range of tones), try to give more specific examples of the kind of tone you would like to end up with.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
SD SH-6. I play "State of the Union" by Rise Against and it screams with those pickups. I get alot of crunch out of them and I play mostly punk. :p
in answer to mr flibble

1. peavey bandit 112 (dont tell me to upgrade i just got this)
2. ltd ec-500
3. dont use much but i have a zoon gtx thingo
4. nothing above 200 US for a single pickup , australia
5. im not much of a metal man so EMGs arent for me and i want to be able to make a good clean tone(EMGs sound to artifical)
6. rise against , offspring (the main ones) i also want to be able to put out good chilli pepper sounds
But why do you want to change pickups?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well, the EMGs shouldn't sound 'artificial'. It's the fact that you're putting them through a transistor/SS amp which makes them sound bad. EMGs are not bad pickups really, it's just that you'd have to put them through a valve amp to get the best out of them.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
yea but they have a horrible clean tone no matter what

i played them thru a mesa stack at a friends house and still sounded horrible
Tru, EMG's don't sound all that great through solid states.

If you want something versatile then something like the Dimarzio Norton in the bridge with a Breed in the neck or maybe the Duncan Custom 5 bridge, 59 neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I will chuck in a few on my coins and advise you take a look at Swineshead Pickups, and their Warthog model. I can recommend this for you gritty punk tone, will a slightly heavier edge, very versatile.

Don't have a lot of time, so not going to go too in depth. Just find some sound samples.

- Rich
Quote by Dookie_1988
I will chuck in a few on my coins and advise you take a look at Swineshead Pickups, and their Warthog model. I can recommend this for you gritty punk tone, will a slightly heavier edge, very versatile.
I'll second this. Very nice mid/high output pickup.

For a neck pickup... actually I'm going to go with Swineshead again, simply because if you were to bother ordering one Swineshead, you might as well go and get a second too. a Runaway sounds like it'd be a good pick for you.

Failing that, something in the range of a Seymour Duncan Jazz Model for the neck.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Lil Macker
Well, the EMGs shouldn't sound 'artificial'. It's the fact that you're putting them through a transistor/SS amp which makes them sound bad. EMGs are not bad pickups really, it's just that you'd have to put them through a valve amp to get the best out of them.

Uh... no, EMGs sound artificial through pretty much any amp. I don't see what makes a high output passive pickups any better than EMGs through a solid state amp. Care to explain?
I have the runaway/warhog combo in my LP, very smooth neck, allows for Gary Moore and knopfleresque tones when dialled in right. If you want a bit more guts, then two warthogs is just great.

..Also available in wood

- Rich
Quote by al112987
Uh... no, EMGs sound artificial through pretty much any amp. I don't see what makes a high output passive pickups any better than EMGs through a solid state amp. Care to explain?

This is just as EMGs, although some low mid and bass heavy, still are quite flat. This mixed with an SS amp that is also quite flat and predictable is just, well, boring.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure one could get a nice sound to their taste, I just know it'd never be to my taste...

Also I'm fed up of getting through 9v PP3s like there's no tomorrow... :p

- Rich