Apparently guitar center is having a big clearance sale on all of their unbought christmas crap, and i was planning to head down there tomorrow with my drummer. I'm looking into getting an acoustic electric. I would prefer a dreadnought with a cutout. I know it sounds stupid, but i also just want it to look nice, like have a sunburst or different color to it than plain wood. That's what i would prefer, but i'm ok with getting a plain guitar. I'm willing to spend 250-400$ I've been looking at the Ibanez AEL20E and the Fender t-bucket online so far. Thanks for any suggestions and,

YES I SEARCHBARED IT
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
Quote by jimivancobain
I'm willing to spend 250-400$ I've been looking at the Ibanez AEL20E and the Fender t-bucket online so far.

No and no. I've never played an Ibanez acoustic that I relatively enjoyed, and Fenders don't have very good electronics. Trust me, a member of my praise band has one. It doesn't sound nice.

And why do you want electronics?

Your best option is probably to buy a "pure acoustic" and an aftermarket electronics system.

Oh, and most people who get a cutaway never use the frets that it leaves unrestricted. Just sayin'
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
No and no. I've never played an Ibanez acoustic that I relatively enjoyed, and Fenders don't have very good electronics. Trust me, a member of my praise band has one. It doesn't sound nice.

And why do you want electronics?

Your best option is probably to buy a "pure acoustic" and an aftermarket electronics system.

Oh, and most people who get a cutaway never use the frets that it leaves unrestricted. Just sayin'

well, there's your problem. christianfags can't make ANY instrument sound good unless it's:

A. been dipped in water touched by an old man
B. worth thousands of dollars
C. has a cross somewhere on it.

Ibanez acoustics sound WONDERFUL and feel just as good. fender electronics are awesome but not for instruments in your price range.
Quote by assparade69
well, there's your problem. christianfags can't make ANY instrument sound good unless it's:

Ibanez acoustics sound WONDERFUL and feel just as good. fender electronics are awesome but not for instruments in your price range.

Ohhhhhh.....you do NOT want to go there with me! Do you have any idea how many of your favorite artists are probably Christian? Dude....I'm usually pretty laid back and relaxed, but what you just said is so wrong that I don't even know where to start showing you you're wrong!

Do you even know what you're talking about? With a username like yours, I have a hard time taking you seriously.

Of course, I'm gonna guess that you're also some metalhead, so tone is a relative term to you.

Please, TS, take my advice:

Look into Takamine, Seagull, Yamaha, Epiphone, and if you'll be playing it primarily plugged in, Ovation. I can't really give you specific models and such, but these are the best makers in this price range.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by assparade69

This is no place for bashing christians, it's a place for acoustic discussion, so unless you're going to form a decent opinion regarding acoustics without shamelessly proving your own stupidity then kindly leave.

TS, generally Fender and Ibanez acoustics are looked down upon, especially in these forums. I can understand why as well, don't limit yourself to them, look up the brands that Natrone suggested, and in addition read the reviews on some of the guitars in the stickied 'under $300 thread' while you can afford a little more than them you really wouldn't be making a bad decision with any of them. That being said if you play a Fender or an Ibanez that you really love, don't let others opinions of them stop you from buying one, though be wary that they may be a waste of your time.
Quote by Natrone

I have to disagree with you. But maybe I'm just disillusioned into thinking that the majority of acoustic guitarists (at least on UG) play more than just chords and ****. Yeah, I probably am. But still, a cutaway is definitely necessary for a lot of us players. I wouldn't get far trying to play gypsy jazz without a cutaway, it's just not done.

But almost all electro-acoustics have a cutaway anyway so you can't do much about it.
thanks for the suggestions, and i'm happy to have sparked a petty arguement here
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
DUDE!

Do I win a cookie?:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alvarez-RD20SC-Regent-Series-Dreadnought-AcousticElectric-Cutaway?sku=518729

Sounds like that guitar has everything you wanted, with a little more.

Alvarez makes very good guitars, and that's solid-top with a dreadnought body and the cool finishes you wanted. Trust me, get that guitar. It's known to be very, very good for the price.
^Great suggestion dude!

And....umm....I might actually get one of those..........

I need an A/E
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by assparade69

Warning for you.

This thread now ceases to be about religion or anything other than acoustic-electric guitars for $250-$400.

As for the actual topic, some pretty good advice in this thread. Fender and Ibanez are known for making fantastic electric guitars and for selling subpar acoustic guitars to people who don't know any better. This isn't to say that all Fender and Ibanez acoustics are crappy. Some of them are great, but you typically find better options from some other manufacturers. Some good brands to look at have been mentioned, but I'll reiterate that Takamine, Seagull, and Alvarez are particularly good in this price range.

Now typically speaking, you aren't going to find a fancy looking guitar in this price range that isn't a piece of junk basically. You can find some guitars that have sunburst finishes though. You will not find anything with a flame/quilted maple top or a Hawaiin koa top that isn't pretty much crap though. A good guitar with these kinds of wood will run you well over $1000.

Also, there is nothing wrong with wanting a cutaway and a pickup and preamp installed on your guitar. The Alvarez RD20SC that somebody already recommended is a great guitar in your price range that fits all of your wants. If you want to stay near the bottom of your price range, say $250-$300, then buying a pickup and guitar separately is probably a good option.

That Alvarez is about the only guitar I can think of for under $400 that is acoustic-electric, has a cutaway, and is available in other finishes. If you could bump your price range up to $450, or even $500 then you would open up a ton of great options.
I have that guitar in pure acoustic. I like it and all, but I would spend the extra...I think $50 on the one with a solid top. The EG340S
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
^-- Ditto, but the one with the solid top is beyond his $400 price range. That is one of the guitars I was talking about opening up his options to if he could bump his price range.
My church actually just got a cheap laminate Ibanez for free. It actually has everything that commonly goes wrong with Ibanez acoustic guitars.
- the electronics don't work
- there's horrendous fret buzz all over the fretboard.
- the laminate top is at least 2x thicker than any other guitar i've laid my hands on. It was really weird and the sound was quite muffled.
I would suggest against Ibanez.

For around $400 I would definitely suggest Norman and Art & Lutherie. They're Canadian made so you know they're quality guitars. I have a Cedar top Art & Lutherie. For $400, she was quite a joy to own, although I'm trying to sell her off now to get a MIM telecaster + blackheart handsome devil amp(since i already got a better acoustic).
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I love (and own) Ovations, but they're a love 'em/hate 'em brand.

You really can't do better in your price range than one of Godin's offerings from one of their acoustic specialized subsidiaries: Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Norman, Art & Lutherie, and Lapatrie.

http://www.godinguitars.com/

I also like the Yamahas in that range. I own one only because Seagull couldn't fill my order for 6 months (this was some years ago- they were having some temporary difficulties that have since passed), so I got an in-stock Yamaha instead. I don't regret it- the guitar is quite nice...but the Seagull was prettier.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by captivate
My church actually just got a cheap laminate Ibanez for free. It actually has everything that commonly goes wrong with Ibanez acoustic guitars.
- the electronics don't work
- there's horrendous fret buzz all over the fretboard.
- the laminate top is at least 2x thicker than any other guitar i've laid my hands on. It was really weird and the sound was quite muffled.
I would suggest against Ibanez.

For around $400 I would definitely suggest Norman and Art & Lutherie. They're Canadian made so you know they're quality guitars. I have a Cedar top Art & Lutherie. For $400, she was quite a joy to own, although I'm trying to sell her off now to get a MIM telecaster + blackheart handsome devil amp(since i already got a better acoustic).

I always forget about the Canadian guitars! I haven't played any Norman guitars, but those Art & Lutherie guitars are pretty sweet! You should sell this guy yours, cap.
LOL. I should! Not only is my guitar in Sunrise Burst, but my asking price is about $250-$275 CAD, AND it has a cutaway & Godin Q1 electronics. The action's a little high, but the guitar in good working order. Lots of scratches and 1 big dent(cedar scratches easily), but absolutely nothing wrong with it structurally. PM me if you you're interested, haha.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
A Music-Go-Round near me carries exemplars from all of Godin's acoustic companies- I can't find a thing wrong with any of them.

(The Seagulls are the prettiest, though. )
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Acoustic_Drew
DUDE!

Do I win a cookie?:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alvarez-RD20SC-Regent-Series-Dreadnought-AcousticElectric-Cutaway?sku=518729

Sounds like that guitar has everything you wanted, with a little more.

Alvarez makes very good guitars, and that's solid-top with a dreadnought body and the cool finishes you wanted. Trust me, get that guitar. It's known to be very, very good for the price.

No you win SEVEN COOKIES

also, this
Quote by michaelscofield
Get mine! http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-G-Series-341SC-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar?sku=516295 I love it, sounds great and pretty sure it has what you're looking for.

Look at seagull, Takamine, Alvarez...

and if you REALLY want an ibanez make sure you test it all over the fret board and plug it in, if it sounds fuzzy or terrible don't let the people at GC LIE TO YOU!!! THEY MAY TRY! the problem is CRAP factory in china somewhere, not anything else...

Fender can be OK, but listen to it plugged in compared to other's in your price range

of course i found a martin there for $440 that seamed martin quality...

if you can find a Martin, Taylor, or Breedlove acoustic electric in your price range, go for it.... You don't even need to try it out..

if you're an electric player try out some ovations... they sound best if you're going to be plugged in or recording alot.
I think I read somewhere that Fender and Ibanez are actually made in the same factory overseas.