Since being here for a while now, it seems obvious UG absolutely hates these amps.. But I've looked them and and compared them to others, and it's not that much different from the price range

So MG's and spiders are supposed to have "sh!t" sound, but isn't it kinda obvious as most of the low-end amps? I don't have either of these, nor am I promoting them, but I'm just curious..
i think its just the way they are marketed. mgs are like the squires of marshalls, and spiders do just kinda sound bad. the problem is that gc pushes em like hotcakes. i talked to a guy there when i was looking for amps and he suggested the spider, thats when i decided to buy local lol
We think that there are much better sounding amps in the price range, WHICH THERE ARE.

The Peavy Vypyr and Roland Cube are two right off the bat.

their price range is huge..

sure there isn't much that compares to the 10 watt marshall MG, but they also make 100 watt versions of it, even halfstack versions

i think people will agree that they can be decent PRACTICE amps for bedrooms and nothing more than that, so like the 10 or 15 watt version can be acceptable in that situation but when people start spending a few hundred dollars on an amplifier, they should NOT get an MG or spider III. Good amps start around 300 dollars for a cheap tube amp, so there's no reason to spend that much money on a crappy amp.
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Roland Cube 15X. Same price as the popular Spider III 15W, much better. Peavey Rage 258. $10 more, infinitely better. Both less than a comparable MG.

As we move up into 30-watts(any point after this and IMO your buying a tube amp and liking it), we have a $175 Cube 20X. Same price of $200 as a 30-watt Spider, Peavey Envoy 110. As for the MG, at the same price you can get a same wattage Roland Cube 30 for the same price or a same wattage Vox VT30 for a well-worth-it$20 more.

There's always much better.

Plus the fact these things ever had 30-plus watt versions built is absolute crap.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
i think alot of it is because with other lowend practice amps, they come in a pack
so yo udon't have a choice, but once you decide to move on to your next amp it should be noticably better, MG's and spiders arent much better than the Frontmans and whatnot that come with your first Guitar
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
MGs break within 6 months usually. They sound alright but you'll be buying a new one every few months. Spiders just sound terrible, there are much better cleans on different modeling amps around that price range like the vypyr and the distortion sounds terrible.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Actually, to the guy that made a comment about Frontmans, they make decent clean practice amps.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Actually, to the guy that made a comment about Frontmans, they make decent clean practice amps.

As someone who went to tubes from one, agreed, althougha ny gain whatsoever eats it's tone alive.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
As someone who went to tubes from one, agreed, althougha ny gain whatsoever eats it's tone alive.

Notice the the specification of CLEAN practice amp
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
They do make ok practice amps but they're not great at all, the Spider IMO is worse. The Frontman mentioned does have a decent clean but like said, it's gain channel is just horrible.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
We think that there are much better sounding amps in the price range, WHICH THERE ARE.

The Peavy Vypyr and Roland Cube are two right off the bat.

yep.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Because most of UG are total dipshits who spout whatever bollocks the most respected users happen to believe. The MGs aren't bad at all IMO, especially compared to some others in that price range (Roland Cube ).
MGs= The tone isn't as bad as most UGers will have you believe (although it's not Zakk Wylde's CRUSHING OVERDRIVE!!) but they break easily.

Spiders= They have pretty digital tones even for a modeling amp.

Personally I like the Frontman as a practice amp; it takes pedals better than modelers and at least has a decent clean channel.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
i tried an MG for a longer amount of time yesterday.
i'm off the crazy flaming bandwagon, though there are better amps for the price.
midsize mg combos are alright. it's just that the tiny ones ACTUALLY suck, and the huge ones are wayy overpriced.
either way, i'd take a valvetronix or vypyr over it. but it was quite decent.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Ill agree MG's are decent for practicing, but seriously, the Roland Cubes are better.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
i have an MG.
it sounds generally ok with my LP..can get nice enough cleans.
heres the secret for a nice distortion.
i use my jackson (im guessing anything with hot p/ups will work) gain set around 3/4.
bass cranked
contour around 6
treble around 6...i find the contour and treble should stay relative to each other..if u bring one up, bring the other with it to keep it from sounding harsh, and vice versa..
turn the "tube" switch off. makes it sound brittle
AND. use the line out kiddies. i record direct into my digital unit like this. its all in the line-out..u dont get that ****ty speaker sound. the line-out is the answer IMO..

as for spiders(ex bandmate had one) . talk about worst cleans ive ever heard.EVER.honestly 10 watt fender SS blow those cleans out of the water IMO.

gain, sounds soooo compressed. if u wanna alternate pick like "banananananananannan" it'll work, cuz theres so much compression and it all sounds lumped together...just beware when u get playin through a different amp, the compression your used to wont be there..

theres my 2 cents.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Distortions on MG's IMO are horrible. Cleans are ok though
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
There's no such thing as a terrible amp, IMO. Every amp has a use.

Like I've said before, I use my MG for jazz cleans or really nasty fuzzy tone, like for a garage band or Black Keys/White Stripes-ish stuff.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??