I have been playing guitar for about a year now, im self taught but im better then most people who have been playing twice as long as i have. The only thing is i basically don't know anything,such as names of scales,chords, etc. Can anyone help me, or at least tell me where to get a good start?
i agree cuz ive only been playing six months and thats how i feel. so yea i joined a band so id go with wat DerekC99 said
Dude, its pretty simple. Read some stuff on scales and chords. I've been playing for a little over a year and I've been nailing some of the basics by myself. I plan on taking some lessons later on but not until I hit a roadblock to where I can't learn anything by myself.

There's so many different formats via UG, DVD's and hell even YouTube to learn some stuff. And starting a band would be a huge boost to. Putting your own stuff together will help you learn also.

So I suggest pick up an instructional DVD and book before you go dropping some coin on lessons. Unless someone you know does it for free.
Just search stuff up on the Internet. Im in the same boat, but there is some great stuff on UG and the internet, especially the Ultimate guide to guitar by Zeguitarist. THat helped allot. Just use Google. But I also no that it can get confusing, so if you have any kind of music teacher at your school such as a band directior, choir directior, or anyone who plays an instument like piano or something, just ask them. If they truly do have a love for music they would take the time to tell you, and music theory is pretty much the same for bost instuments, even vocals. Whatever you do, dont give up, and dont let people put you down because your self taught.
Quote by buttermilkxxx
dont let people put you down because your self taught.

Couldn't agree anymore than that. I've met some people who thought that of me and never heard me play. I learned how to play Crazy Train, front to back including the solo by my damn self and I play it clean.

The way I learn how to play on my own is like a puzzle. I put everything together piece by peace. Granted it takes me a little longer than most but in the end its worth it.
Quote by buttermilkxxx
Just search stuff up on the Internet. Im in the same boat, but there is some great stuff on UG and the internet, especially the Ultimate guide to guitar by Zeguitarist. THat helped allot. Just use Google. But I also no that it can get confusing, so if you have any kind of music teacher at your school such as a band directior, choir directior, or anyone who plays an instument like piano or something, just ask them. If they truly do have a love for music they would take the time to tell you, and music theory is pretty much the same for bost instuments, even vocals. Whatever you do, dont give up, and dont let people put you down because your self taught.

Thanks man.
and the band director at my school just plays drums and he dislikes me because i hate what a currently play in school band (baritone) and he would never help me with that kind of stuff lol.but ill be sure to look up that lesson.
dude i was playing for four years, and in the last year ive just began learning theory. I picked up really quick however. You learn bits here and bits there and then eventually you just have an apifany and it all comes together.
Peace be thy journey
Nothing wrong with being self taught - but you can teach yourself theory too. Trial and error is all well and good but why waste time stabbing around in the dark figuring out random bits of something that was documented and set out for us 500 years ago?

Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section...just remember that theory is not about technique, it's about helping you understand music and communicating your ideas to other musicians.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
A few lessons from a decent guitar teacher can be extremely helpful, I taught myself for years before I got any lessons and even though I could already play I got heaps out of them. They can help give you a grounding in the basics like what you're looking for and also help iron out small problems with technique and bad habits that you can pick up without knowing. I don't know your circumstances so it might not be an option for you at this stage but maybe keep it in the back of your mind and if you do have the opportunity some day then I'd take it.