I just picked up a Jackson DX10D and actually plan to get another one very soon since I love the look of them so much. It's a basswood guitar with Duncan Designed HB-103 pickups which are modeled after the Duncan Distortion.

The only experience I have with pickups is with plain, no-name stock pickups. I just sold my Jackson JS20 and believe it or not, I think the stock no-name humbucker in the JS20 sounded better than this DD HB-103. Before I even got this new Jackson I knew I wanted to put some real SD pickups in it, but I just wasn't sure which type. For now, I'll probably just replace the bridge pickup. Based on what I play I was thinking the Duncan Distortion but now I'm having second thoughts. I know that you can't really compare DD's with read SD pickups, but the audio samples on the SD site of the Distortion pickups do have a similar wall of sound quality to them and doesn't really have much punch or "quack".

So then I was thinking about a JB. Again based solely on the audio samples from the SD site it has that clear, punchy sound I'm after. But then again, it kind-of seems to have too much treble. So after going back and forth at least a few dozen times listening to every single one of the available SD passive humbuckers, I'm now thinking the full shred. I'm mostly into playing rhythm and middle of the neck riffs, and am by no means into shredding, but this pickup seems to have a clear middle to it but without the squeal of the JB. Some other standouts to me were the Duncan Custom and the Custom Custom, but the Full Shred seems like it might be the best of the three.

I I like to play a lot of hair metal and I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but I really dig a quack, or honk sound to my guitar tone. By that I mean something like the main riff to Warrant's Cherry Pie, or the riffs pretty much all through Skid Row's first album. My old JS20 was great at getting this type of tone. I don't know if a lot of these bands were using HSS guitars and using the single coils to accomplish that sort of sound, but FWIW I literally never used the single coils of my JS20, and was able to get a good quack from the bridge humbucker.

So do you think the Full Shred is a good option? Or should I go with something else? The EMG's and DiMarzio's I've heard aren't for me, so any alternative reccomendations should point to a Seymour Duncan variety.

Thanks a lot.
not too sure how "quacky" an alnico pickup would get, i'd probably go for either the jb or distortion if it's "quack " your after. i've always associated the full shred as being a neck pup for some reason.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
If you want a pickup with that kind of enhanced midrange response then Dimarzio's Joe Satriani models, the FRED and Mo Joe, would be perfect for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
If you want a pickup with that kind of enhanced midrange response then Dimarzio's Joe Satriani models, the FRED and Mo Joe, would be perfect for you.

+1
ಠ_ಠ
WOW. Thanks for the info. I've always known who Satriani is but never really bothered to listen to any of his stuff. I sniffed around the Internet and the tone that the Fred produced is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. That pickup absolutely sings and has awesome harmonics. Plus it nails excatly that quack/honk (or "wah" sound as I heard it reffered to somewhere else).

Picked up a Fred on eBay just now and should have it delivered and up and running in a few days. I'll let you know my full opinion then, but I really appreciate the advice.

It seems like everyone is always saying "Duncan or EMG", "Duncan or EMG". I know for sure that I don't like the EMG sound, but I suppose the reason I said in my opening post was that I didn't want a DiMarzio was simply because everyone is always saying "Duncan or EMG". Maybe on some subconcious level I thought DiMarzio's were third rate pickups. But based on what I've heard so far, I think I found my pickup.

Thanks again.
Last edited by Rick540 at Jan 26, 2009,
Is this the kind of vocal 'honk' you're looking for?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=349730&content=songinfo&songID=6572910

Those have an almost horn-like lead tone, Idk if you're ever heard the Allman Brother's "Live at Fillmore East" album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHhKnc0XZrs

Check around 0:53; listen to Duane's lead tone.

Or did you want this kind of slightly nasal sound?

Either way, I don't want to say that the FRED is not what you're looking for, it might work great for you, but the first pickup I posted, the WCR Fillmore is always the first pickup that comes to my mind when people say they want a "quack" or "honk".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61iW4ci_gAQ&feature=channel_page

There is one of my videos with the Fillmore, I mostly use the middle position, but I think at 0:42, 2:11, 3:58, are some good examples I think of the kind of characteristic tone the pickup has. I guess some might describe it as a "quack" or "honk."

Also, I will have to make a note, we might be talking about different types of a "honk" sort of sound, some people hear things differently, but for the most part, the kind of tone I'm talking about is generally a les paul quality.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 26, 2009,
Good point - thinking about it "quacking" is something I'd associate more with a P90 sound, and to a lesser degree something like a Pearly Gates, as opposed to the "honk" of a mid-heavy alnico 5 pickup.

I think the FRED is a good fit here though, based on the bands that were listed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 26, 2009,
I agree that the the FRED works for the type of music he wants to play but from my experience (which is very little, outside of playing a few JS models and listening to some Satch tunes) the mids are present but are compressed sounding, and they just don't sound "open," which are what imo give's a pickup a vocal quality, though a lot of people take descriptions like that to mean different things. But I don't disagree that it doesn't work for the styles he's looking for. The kind of tone in "Cherry Pie" is really more how the amp is eq'ed than the pickups I think.