Page 1 of 2
I know some of you out there do this... It's fun. Giving your instrument a name gives it character. So, this thread has been created so you can share not only the name of your bass, but the reasoning behind the name (if there is any).

I'll start off.

I have a black, Squier Jazz Bass that I have just recently dubbed "Kristina." I chose this name because it's Indonesian, and my bass happens to be manufactured in Indonesia. The name basically means "Christian Woman." This appealed to me because firstly, I wanted my bass to have a female name, and secondly, because I am a Christian and like playing alot of Christian music. (anything from Casting Crowns to Flyleaf) So there's my reasoning. Your turn.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Do I want to know the reasoning behind that?
-Edgar Degas
my fender american deluxe strat's name is ...Layla......because my biggest influence is eric clapton...simple...but nice... plus it answers the question..

"what do you do when you are lonely?" ..... i play.. my strat...lol
I named my cat searchbar.

I sadly have no instruments though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Searchbar? That may be the single greatest pet name ever... except for meat-wad... meat-wad is still a better pet name...
-Edgar Degas
Funny, I've been naming my bass guitars too, and I thought I needed help or something.

I've got a black Vantage (Forgot the model name) 4-string named Helena and a natural ATK300 named Teresa.

Helena is a random name, and Teresa is from the Claymore series.
Quote by the humanity
I named my cat searchbar.

I sadly have no instruments though.

Man you love to call people out for lack of search bar usage eh let it be, this is more of a "shoot the sh!t" thread than an info thread, so no harm done.

My bass was already named when i got it! It even had the name signed on the headstock...it says "Marcus Miller"

Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
I figured I would get in trouble if I dug up an old name thread and revived it. o-o
-Edgar Degas
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
Man you love to call people out for lack of search bar usage eh let it be, this is more of a "shoot the sh!t" thread than an info thread, so no harm done.

My bass was already named when i got it! It even had the name signed on the headstock...it says "Marcus Miller"

ya know, Marcus Miller used to play guitar. he was great at it. he named his slide searchbar.

you seen it on youtube?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
ya know, Marcus Miller used to play guitar. he was great at it. he named his slide searchbar.

you seen it on youtube?

I think your mistaken, his hat is named searchbar (b.t.w, i want that damn hat!!!), the slide is named "gotoFAQnoob". His bass is named Jennifer Aniston
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
I think your mistaken, his hat is named searchbar (b.t.w, i want that damn hat!!!), the slide is named "gotoFAQnoob". His bass is named Jennifer Aniston

if you don't shut up, I may have to (searchbar) off your (searchbar)(searchbar). I am for real.

anyway, reported...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
if you don't shut up, I may have to (searchbar) off your (searchbar)(searchbar). I am for real.

anyway, reported...

Oh, i thought you were kidding...
Quote by thefitz
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
Oh, i thought you were kidding...

nope.

*reported*
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Leave the guy alone man...if he'd brought back a dead thread you'd all be getting on to him for necroposting.

I haven't named any of mine. I'd like to, but I lack creativeness in naming things. For example, the only thing I can think of for my fiver is "old blue", because its blue. Where's the fun in that?
Nope, no sig here.
I haven't seen one of these threads in here for a while, so I'm letting it slide.

My Peavey is called Heidi, because I like the name, and my Warwick will be christened Nicola, after Nicola from Girls Aloud, since the swirly bubinga has red sides (red hair) and a paler middle (pale face). Kinda like Nicola
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I haven't had an excuse to go on about my new Warwick for a while, so I'm letting it slide.

I don't name stuff.
I name them in light of my stupid friends that don't know brands.

Silvertone - Colossus, I was playing a lot of Shadow Of The Colossus
Epiphone EB-0 - Lucifer
Blue Rogue - P bass, because it had a P! Pillows sticker on it
What can be broken must be broken
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I haven't seen one of these threads in here for a while, so I'm letting it slide.

My Peavey is called Heidi, because I like the name, and my Warwick will be christened Nicola, after Nicola from Girls Aloud, since the swirly bubinga has red sides (red hair) and a paler middle (pale face). Kinda like Nicola

My older sister is called Nicola...

STOP PLAYING MY SISTER!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Didn't she take that photo of you? If so, I'll stop playing your sister, and worship her instead

Hah. She did actually.

*sigh*, when will my celebrity status among 5 people end
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
i call my squier VM jazz "stinky" because thats what i call my dog and i like my bass almost as much as my dog.

i call my cort curbow 4 "kitty" because i wanted to give it a girls name and one of my favourite artists is bruce springsteen who has a song called Kitty's Back.
My dark blue Squier bass is named Nótt, the old norse personification of Night.
I don't name my basses, I don't see the point, other than to ID them. I play 3 different ones in 3 different tunings, so I just refer to them based on either the make they are, or the tuning.
I named my p-bass that I built "Lucky Strike". Mainly because L.S./M.F.T. (Lucky Strike/Makes Fine Tunes). There was my obligatory smokers joke. But seriously, I did name by bass "Lucky Strike".
GAS List:
Nothing
My Peavey fretless is "Silverman the Jew", because it was circumfretted. >_>
My Washburn Taurus is "Haley", named after a friend.
My acoustic Epiphone El Capitan is named "Java" because it's coffee colored, necter of the Gods.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Umm, mine is named Ibanez sr505, Ive never played a Kristina, TS, do they play well?
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Fender Jazz: "Chester", after the height at which I wear him
Musicman Stingray: "Sarah", random name given by my girlfriend
Warwick F1: "Oscar" another random name
Warwick Flashback: "Sebastian", after the crab
Warwick Thumb BO: "Koko", after the gorilla?
Warwick Thumb NT: "Jessica", name given by the previous owner in honor of Jessica Biel's hotness
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by PluckU
Umm, mine is named Ibanez sr505, Ive never played a Kristina, TS, do they play well?

Are you talking to me? If so, why does everyone keep calling me TS?... The "D" is one key over >_>

She plays nice. Real nice.
-Edgar Degas
Quote by mountaindew88
Fender Jazz: "Chester", after the height at which I wear him
Musicman Stingray: "Sarah", random name given by my girlfriend
Warwick F1: "Oscar" another random name
Warwick Flashback: "Sebastian", after the crab
Warwick Thumb BO: "Koko", after the gorilla?
Warwick Thumb NT: "Jessica", name given by the previous owner in honor of Jessica Biel's hotness

damn dude! thats a lot of 'wicks! Do you rent them out or something?
Quote by thefitz
I want to play a Warwick so bad, but the only ones at my guitar center are active, and those SOBs won't put a freakin battery in them. I'm honestly about to start carrying a 9v battery with me whenever I go there.
-Edgar Degas
^ That sucks dude. They sound amazing too. I've gotten the chance to play a bunch cause my teacher is a fanboy and plays them (as far as I know) exclusively. As far as playability, though, the only way you'll be truly comfortable playing one is if you are a 6 foot tall body builder with massive hands and a very wide guitar strap. Otherwise, be prepared for some pain, because those great exotic tonewoods they use way a ton, and they have huge necks.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
damn dude! thats a lot of 'wicks! Do you rent them out or something?

Nope. Home security. Twelve to fourteen pounds of African hardwoods swung with vigor will deter any would-be thief or predator.
Quote by kugelspot
As far as playability, though, the only way you'll be truly comfortable playing one is if you are a 6 foot tall body builder with massive hands and a very wide guitar strap.

Not quite... they are heavy to pick up, but balance more than well enough to be comfortable to play. The scale length is 34", just like most basses. I use standard cheapo Ernie Ball straps on all four of my Wicks and have no comfort issues at all, even playing them for extended periods. I'm 6'2", 175lbs, and exercise frequently, so I guess I might have less of a problem than other folks.
Otherwise, be prepared for some pain, because those great exotic tonewoods they use way a ton, and they have huge necks.

The woods are extremely dense and heavy, but again, the basses do balance very well due to the ergonomic designs. The 4-string necks are extremely slim and comfortable. I can see why many folks wouldn't dig the 5- and 6-string basses, but if you're primarily a 4-string player, you shouldn't have any problem at all.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Jan 25, 2009,
I named my Strat "Bill" back in the day, and never thought of a name better. I don't have 2 of the same type of bass, so I needn't bother with it really.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I havn't named my basses but I might have to call my ibanez dale, in honour of dale wintons permatan
I used to name my guitars, when I was in jr. high and early high school.

My epi fat strat is named "Audri", after the girl I was dating, the Epi bass is named "the redhead" after her, as well.
My Ibanez is named "Rosie" my Purple fender is named "liz" after the girl that I dated, her favorite color was purple. we dated for a long time. My Sigma is named "sig" after a friend of mine who LOVED my sigma 12-string. My black and gold Fender is named "Shannon," after a girl I knew who the bass reminded me off.

I haven't named my tele, Les Paul and Blueridge all fail to have names, as... I just don't care to do that anymore.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by mountaindew88
Not quite... they are heavy to pick up, but balance more than well enough to be comfortable to play. The scale length is 34", just like most basses. I use standard cheapo Ernie Ball straps on all four of my Wicks and have no comfort issues at all, even playing them for extended periods. I'm 6'2", 175lbs, and exercise frequently, so I guess I might have less of a problem than other folks.

The woods are extremely dense and heavy, but again, the basses do balance very well due to the ergonomic designs. The 4-string necks are extremely slim and comfortable. I can see why many folks wouldn't dig the 5- and 6-string basses, but if you're primarily a 4-string player, you shouldn't have any problem at all.

I didn't mean they had balance problems. They just weigh a ton and have huge necks. Then again, I'm 5'9", 150lbs (a couple pounds overweight), don't get as much exercise as I probably should, and prefer smaller necks.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Page 1 of 2