Poll: well?
Poll Options
View poll results: well?
It annoys me, as well
209 62%
No, I like all of the little Subgenres. Technical Math Grindcore FTW!
78 23%
Manowar are Power-Naked-Muscleguy-Metal!
50 15%
Voters: 337.
Page 1 of 5
Maybe I'm getting too old, and missed something, but I just read two people arguing about Manowar, one was arguing that they were "True Metal", the other was saying they were "Power Metal".

Now, is it just me or all this talk about subgenres getting a little out of hand? I mean, first of all, nowadays there are so many different little sub genres that next to no one has heard about, but come across the wrong person and say something like "oh, Nile is a pretty cool death metal band" they'll come right at you and say "You idiot, Nile isn't death metal! It's extreme-egyptian-execution metal!" or "they're not metal, they're math-doom-piggysqueal-core!"

second of all, and this was basically implied in the first, if two of these people come together, they will argue for hours about which band is in exactly which subgenre.

I mean, come oooon. If you were to ask the members of the band they would probably say "Metal", but every time a band incorporates something new into their music, people have to create an entire subgenre out of it, even if you only label said band.
Jethro Tull were never "Flute-Folk-Rock", neither was motörhead called "grind-rock" just because Lemmy sounds like he's boiling a bucket of nails in his throat when he sings.

so I ask you, do you like being able to perfectly categorize bands into miniscule sub-sub-genres, or does this piss anyone else off?
I guess it would get annoying...
Gamertag: KuroNeko117 - ADD ME ^_^

ILikeC OLOURS

Don't drink drive you'll spill your drink
i agree. genre classification is retarded in most cases.
I have no opinion on this matter.
I think that takes it too far. I don't use the term "true metal" to describe specific sub-genres. Hell, I rarely ever use it, but when I do, it's to describe metal that you can tell is metal with SUBSTANCE, if that makes sense.
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
I know what you mean, but who really cares? If two guys want to argue about sub-genres, and who belongs where, I say let 'em have at it.
You have to have some kind of sub-genre classification. You could label any band from Brain Drill to Sunn0))) to Poison to Darkthrone under the genre "heavy metal." If you're making recommendations to someone or looking for other similar bands you need a more narrowed down classification than "metal."
Haha..
I can imagine a conversation with a hardcore Nile fan..
"So what genres of metal do you like?"
"I like extreme-egyptian-execution metal"
"You mean Nile"
"..................... yes"

Sub-sub genres are pointles if it's for one band..
It's just like describing a band..
Except for Pirate Metal
I hate it. Stupid youtube comments like "this isn't metal, it's metalcore!" drive me spare. It's slightly different, it doesn't need a totally different genre. Hardcore does, but not other stuff.
It pisses me off cause all the little "core" faggots get pissed off at me because i call their music screamo
Quote by InvaderTSN
I just use general terms like death or black. Only exception is when I call Alestorm pirate metal rather than power/folk.

i'd consider them pirate metal

imo, i think sub genres are an essential part of the metal world. because of the vast ammounts of 'metal' bands, they will forever be trying to stray from the pack, to create a new sound, if that means making a new subgenre along the way, then so be it
It annoys me too when someone asks me what metal I like and and say something and they're all like, "that's not metal, that's German-industrial-melodic-scream-penis-core!!"
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Hanson are musical legends.

You watch your god damn mouth when talking about them.

Quote by TheQuailman

I mean, look at me. Can't even get an erection unless I strangle a goat.

It's Time To Be Immortal Cause Heros Never Die!
gaycore wrestle metal FTW!

I hate it aswell. I'm just now learning the diffrence between Hardcore and Metalcore.
Hardcore is like "I hate you bitch RRRRAAAAAWWWRRRR!" and metalcore is like "This sucks. RAWWWWWRRRRR"
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Lots O' FX
Why do you hate America?
Last edited by 2 15/16 at Jan 25, 2009,
Yeah, I never got it. I still use pretty general terms, like rock, blues, jazz, bubble gum pop bull****...and if the music happens to be heavier than usual, I just say it's pretty heavy. If you're talking music with any one now'a days it seems like you can't even bring genre into the matter, no one knows what the hell any one is talking about.
Quote by beau05

imo, i think sub genres are an essential part of the metal world. because of the vast ammounts of 'metal' bands, they will forever be trying to stray from the pack, to create a new sound, if that means making a new subgenre along the way, then so be it

I don't think it matters all too much because in 20 years those bands and their sub genre will be completely forgotten by 99.9% of the population.

You know, kind of like Fat Mattress.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Quote by SpelChek
You have to have some kind of sub-genre classification. You could label any band from Brain Drill to Sunn0))) to Poison to Darkthrone under the genre "heavy metal." If you're making recommendations to someone or looking for other similar bands you need a more narrowed down classification than "metal."

he makes a good point, i mean if someone likes something like Pelican you can't really tell them Dethklok or High on Fire. way too contrasting they're good for that but genres cause to many arguements. i mean if a band sounds different on each song how do classify them (mathcore i think might apply though). it can get very confusing to. i even had an argument with one of my teachers because she said ted nugent was death metal which i disagreed with
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Hey /b/

How about you guys shut up? Most of you don't post in the metal forum. Genres are there to characterise the music so people know what style they play before they listen to them.

"hey listen to these guys"
"oh, what style do they play?"
"symphonic brutal death metal with technical melodies and melodic acoustic interludes"

That gives me a brilliantly good idea of what it sounds like. And hey guys, stop making fucking metal threads in /b/. The metal forum is here for a reason, so are the /b/ rules. Kindly suck yourselves off.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I hate it. Stupid youtube comments like "this isn't metal, it's metalcore!" drive me spare. It's slightly different, it doesn't need a totally different genre. Hardcore does, but not other stuff.

Not entirely true, metalcore sounds a lot different than let's say, Iron Maiden. So some subcategories are needed, but it has been getting out of hand over the last 10 years...

Our leadguitarist is turning it the other way around, he just calls everything rock. He uses the word grunt-rock to describe death metal and grindcore and so on...
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Quote by Internal Chaos
Hey /b/

How about you guys shut up? Most of you don't post in the metal forum. Genres are there to characterise the music so people know what style they play before they listen to them.

"symphonic brutal death metal with technical melodies and melodic acoustic interludes"

That gives me a brilliantly good idea of what it sounds like. And hey guys, stop making fucking metal threads in /b/. The metal forum is here for a reason, so are the /b/ rules. Kindly suck yourselves off.

+1
Quote by Internal Chaos
Hey /b/

i was going to post something like that, on UG they help with trafficing and keeping the forums from getting over crowded with bands who don't technically belong in that forum. and it helps people find the bands they already like and know the genres of a lot faster. but outside of UG it doesn't do much help imo
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by F8iscruel
he makes a good point, i mean if someone likes something like Pelican you can't really tell them Dethklok or High on Fire. way too contrasting they're good for that but genres cause to many arguements. i mean if a band sounds different on each song how do classify them (mathcore i think might apply though). it can get very confusing to. i even had an argument with one of my teachers because she said ted nugent was death metal which i disagreed with

Yeah but those are two totally different things if you were to say opeth and amon amarth were in the same genre i would agree whether thats true or not but the Nuge is absolutely not in any sense of the word death metal...
P.s slap your teacher for me.
Last edited by dethead666 at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by Internal Chaos
Hey /b/

EDIT: but seriously, outside of the metal forum on UG no one will know what the hell you're talking about, so it doesn't really make sense.
"technical melodies"? "Brutal death metal"? that isn't exactly self explanitory.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jan 25, 2009,
It annoys the hell out of me, but I hate when people refer to, let's take Atreyu for example, as hardcore or even death metal. It's obvious that they are not either. It's a double sided situation for me.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Quote by CoreysMonster

EDIT: but seriously, outside of the metal forum on UG no one will know what the hell you're talking about, so it doesn't really make sense.
"technical melodies"? "Brutal death metal"? that isn't exactly self explanitory.

This is why you go INTO the metal forum to discuss that.
The word "gaytarded" perfectly sums up my opinion of metal subdividing.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Nafon
This is why you go INTO the metal forum to discuss that.

no, no, I'm talking about comments like on youtube, and you have a video of Meshuggah, and say "Wow, Meshuggah are an awesome metal band", you automatically get 15 people telling me that they're not "Metal", they're "math-metal" or whatever.
For insiders they may make sense, but for most people they're not.
stop being elitists.
Quote by CoreysMonster
no, no, I'm talking about comments like on youtube, and you have a video of Meshuggah, and say "Wow, Meshuggah are an awesome metal band", you automatically get 15 people telling me that they're not "Metal", they're "math-metal" or whatever.
For insiders they may make sense, but for most people they're not.
stop being elitists.

Mmm point taken.
I pretty much agree with everything you said. For sub genres of metal I pretty much only use Thrash, Death, Power, Progressive and that's about it. The stuff like "New Wave of American Heavy Metal" just gets silly. And those "core" genres are so bull****. It's heavy, it's metal. I think some guy in another thread said if there's a breakdown in a song it's a "core".
Last edited by drunkinkoala at Jan 25, 2009,
Having sub-genres is okay to an extent, but they get so out of hand these days. Fighting over what genre a band is is stupid. But some sub-genres are handy for getting an idea of what a band will sound like.
Quote by CoreysMonster

-Yes, people outside of the metal forum will know what you're talking about. Subgenres are not a UG exclusive thing that were made up solely by UG members for UG members.
-Terms like brutal death metal and things like that are self-explanatory. If you listen to metal, you know what brutal death metal sounds like.
-Subgenres are there for a reason. They classify the music. If someone said to me, "Hey, I like Metallica. What are some other metal bands I would like?" and I told them, "Oh, Devourment is metal, go listen to them," they'd probably come back to me and freak out because those bands sound nothing alike. But if someone told me they liked death metal, that gives me a more specific term to work with, and I could recommend them bands that play death metal.
-There are no subgenres like "extreme-egyptian-execution metal" or "math-doom-piggysqueal-core."
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Yes. I completely agree with you. IMO there should only be 2 types of Metal...You have your Metal and then you have your gay Metal.

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
Quote by Rock_Rebel
Having sub-genres is okay to an extent, but they get so out of hand these days. Fighting over what genre a band is is stupid. But some sub-genres are handy for getting an idea of what a band will sound like.

I agree.

I find those subgenres necessary when I'm looking for a certain sound, but I hate it when people bitch and whine about a band being "not tr00 death metal".
Quote by LedDaveZeppelin
Yes. I completely agree with you. IMO there should only be 2 types of Metal...You have your Metal and then you have your gay Metal.

+100 Me and my bud were talking about that a week ago.
Quote by metal4life592

-There are no subgenres like "extreme-egyptian-execution metal" or "math-doom-piggysqueal-core."

I'm very well aware of that.

I mean if you're amongst people who know what you're talking about, it's okay, but seriously, arguing with people about exactly what subgenre a band belongs in? it's just stupid.
Quote by CoreysMonster
*shock*

that was totally unexpected

Were you expecting an elitist answer like "Well you should know the genre by now"

Hahaha
You're quite right, Corey, but I like sub genres. It weens out the pussy music from the good music. Like, it creates a boundary so people don't go, "You like metal? That must mean you walk around with trench coats and slipknot shirts and hang out at hot topic". I try to be as general as possible, but even some bands promote it. Moonsorrow has said themselves, they don't want to be titled as Viking Metal because of their black metal influences, but instead "Epic Heathen Metal". I'm fine with sub genres though. But those examples were comical. I and most people would say Nile is just progressive death metal. It also helps show combinations of different musical stylings. It's progressive metal and death metal. Add the two and you get progressive death metal. Saying they're Egyptian whatever wouldn't really be combining genres, just specifically defining them. So, sub genres help, but there's a certain limit where that subgenre tree branch ends.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I'm very well aware of that.

I mean if you're amongst people who know what you're talking about, it's okay, but seriously, arguing with people about exactly what subgenre a band belongs in? it's just stupid.

I can agree with that. I've seen plenty of arguments on here over whether a band is metal or metalcore or whatever, and it gets a little out of hand sometimes. I just wanted to clear up why subgenres are used, because so many people seem to think that classifying everything under "metal" and nothing else is the only way it should be done.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Quote by Nafon
Were you expecting an elitist answer like "Well you should know the genre by now"

Hahaha

yup, I was!
Page 1 of 5