Hello fellow songwriters, I am looking for a little advice from of the more experienced writers here.

I haven't dipped into songwriting much as I seem to spend most of my time working with my guitar but I think I'm ready now. I'm a strong writer. Mostly fiction stories and academic papers but I have problems making my ideas concise and powerful. I feel like I lack a lot of literary tools and I can't find what I need anywhere!

Where do you guys suggest I start? I was thinking that I need to read a lot more classic literature. I need to practice writing more but I'm lost without some guidelines that I can't seem to find.
In my opinion, I write my guitar line first. THEN depending on how it sounds, slow, somber, fast, heavy, angry ect. put your words to that.

For example, Slayer; you can't expect music like theirs to have lyrics about fuzzy bunnies.

I write my songs about something that happens in my life usually, take one idea and elaborate upon it. Span it into other events that have happened or might happen so on and so forth.

It's really fun to write songs man, and if its mindless gibbering on about something, don't worry, System Of a Down does it like Vicinity of Obscenety (sp?)

Hope it goes well
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
Quote by Lasyk

It's really fun to write songs man, and if its mindless gibbering on about something, don't worry, System Of a Down does it like Vicinity of Obscenety (sp?)

Hope it goes well

System of a down actually have alot of meaning behind there songs if you take the time and listen closely.

But i find the best way to right a song a write down lots of words you see that have potential to be a lyric. Look at AC/DC's The Jack. the lyrics in that songs are done so clever that wouldnt guess that the songs about STDs lol
well man, i try to form a story with the music ive written. like the other due said, write the guitar music first. but the whole time keep an image in your head of you what you want to convery with your song. after that, the lyrics just highlight the parts you really want to stand out. idk it helps me add some feeling to my songs, hope it helped
Don't any of you use literary devices? Do you write something catchy that you 'feel'? I can do that easily but I feel like if I learned more literary techniques then I could improve.
Quote by Kaos_00
Don't any of you use literary devices? Do you write something catchy that you 'feel'? I can do that easily but I feel like if I learned more literary techniques then I could improve.

If you use clean vocals, you should definitely go in the poetic direction.

As such, you should write a poem, and then write the music to fit it.
Try both approaches. You don't really have to use either exclusively. There's no fixed rules on that, so go with which ever your whim leds you to.