Ok so lately I've been noticing some pain in my picking arm. It's kinda concentrated around the side of the elbow joint, but then it spreads throughout my arm.

I don't really notice it much when I'm playing (I'm trying to improve on that and actually notice), but after I stop, I really feel that my arm is tensed and so is my jaw for some reason.

So what I wanted to ask you guys is that is this something that I need to sort out by -

a) Changing how I hold the guitar/pick?

b) Practising slowly and making sure there's no pain (doing that already)

c) Just do some stretches with the arm, 'cause maybe it's just cramped.

I don't really know how to explain it any more, so yeah. And any help would be appreciated.
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Quote by spider666
Ok so lately I've been noticing some pain in my picking arm. It's kinda concentrated around the side of the elbow joint, but then it spreads throughout my arm.

I don't really notice it much when I'm playing (I'm trying to improve on that and actually notice), but after I stop, I really feel that my arm is tensed and so is my jaw for some reason.

So what I wanted to ask you guys is that is this something that I need to sort out by -

a) Changing how I hold the guitar/pick?

b) Practising slowly and making sure there's no pain (doing that already)

c) Just do some stretches with the arm, 'cause maybe it's just cramped.

I don't really know how to explain it any more, so yeah. And any help would be appreciated.

Naturally, I'm no physical therapist, but if it occurs mostly when sitting,, then it's because your muscles are cramped. Even with my guitar as high as possible I don't get any cramps when standing and playing for instance Master of Puppets, but sitting down I get almost the exact same thing you have (only I do notice it while playing). Sometimes it comes up even when I'm playing slowly, quite a bitch.

So yeah,, if you're playing fast/or not, and you're sitting down while getting the cramps, it's because you're actually cramped up and force yourself into a bad posture for guitar playing. I've got the same problems.

Also, try playing out of your wrist more so than out of your arm. That helps too.
My arm also used to be tensed up (and my jaw as well) when I tried to do everything as fast as possible with hardly any help of the good ol' wrist. 'twas Biceps all the way XD
Last edited by KoRnOnA6String at Jan 25, 2009,
the answer is probably all of the above :P.

You must warm up BEFORE you start playing (Even John Petrucci does that : http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=e9tCQftFIAs).

There might be something wrong with your hold of the pick (most likely you are pushing your thumb way in: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NOMn3P9AE)

Try to build up speed rather than forcing yourself to up to speed. Id you practice building speed the correct way (meteronome and whatnot) you will be able to see your speed's progress without the excessive arm fatigue.

I also really recommed John Petrucci's Rock Discipline, it is a good overall practice guide for warming up and practicing techniques.

Good luck
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
Last edited by crimson moon at Jan 25, 2009,
Thanks for the replies guys, and I do actually have JP's Rock Dicipline. I just have to get to watching it fully

But yes, I agree that while sitting down, our body is in a cramped position, so that might be the reason. But yes, I'm trying to loosen up my muscles and so far the pain has gone mostly from my arm and hibernated to my jaw.

But I'm working on it.
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win