I have been trying new ways of holding my pick; i usually hold my pick with my thumb pushed into my hand (for lack of a better explanation :P )
so i tried holding it with my thumb poking out, like how paul gilbert holds his. (so the way i usually hold it, my thumb faces the other way)
does anyone disagree with this technique?
i know its hay harder to sweep like this, but i also know that you can grip the string better
can you guys list some pros and cons of both ways?
MUCH appreciated
-|-\/\/()/\/_V/\/\()|_|(
=============)
I actually find it easier to sweep with my thumb "poking out" :P. I do it the paul gilbert way now but before I did, my hand used to be in pain alot because the thumb is pushed into the hands.

Kind of how Paul Gilbert explains it here
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
Last edited by crimson moon at Jan 25, 2009,
Okay, I hold my pick the same way you say Paul Gilbert holds it, because that's what I find comfortable.
If you look into different players, you'll see that they all hold their picks a different way, because they've found what is comfortable for them.
So if holding your pick with your thumb facing inwards is comfortable (I'm not exactly sure what you mean...) then do it that way. Just muck around with different pick positions, then when you find one comfortable, hone the **** out of it so you can pick cleanly and efficiently.
Also, I find that I tend to automatically change my style of picking when I do sweeping style stuff, but don't get too caught up about sweeping, it only impresses noobs.
they are both comfortable, i just know one will end up being better so im asking advice. i know lots of people prefer pauls way, but he doesnt sweep much at all
-|-\/\/()/\/_V/\/\()|_|(
=============)
Quote by anonymous564
they are both comfortable, i just know one will end up being better so im asking advice. i know lots of people prefer pauls way, but he doesnt sweep much at all

Then change you pick grip for that sweeping bit .

Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
Quote by anonymous564

No, he tends to alternate/economy pick a lot of his stuff.
But that's not saying he doesn't completely alternate pick everything.
I saw an interview where he said something like "I'm really sick of people just sweeping, It's pretty stupid. Which is why whenever I do I try to put 'emotion' into it!"
And check out Racer X, (Paul's better band) there's a fair amount of sweeping stuff in their catalogue.
thats what i was thinkin, but when i asked someone, they said it will **** me over in the long run
im in quite the predicament :P:
-|-\/\/()/\/_V/\/\()|_|(
=============)
Quote by anonymous564
thats what i was thinkin, but when i asked someone, they said it will **** me over in the long run

No, changing pick positions definitely does not **** you over in the long run!
It's doing something uncomfortable that will really mess you up.
I'm talking about RSI, it really sucks. Majorly, I couldn't play for 6 months because it just hurt too much from doing exactly what you're trying to do.
Seriously, do yourself a favour and listen to me, you don't want RSI, just find a position for normal picking, and a different position for sweep picking, and practice changing pick holding positions.
Quote by anonymous564

Ah well I dunno if those are the exact words used, but... I still stand by what I said that optimally there should be no need to switch your grip on the pick for different techniques. And if all you're doing is changing the amount of thumb bend then by all means, that is a quite natural and smooth thing to do and PG recommends changing the pick angle for different approaches. But I'm talking like dramatic pick change, something that would not allow you to transition between different sections of a song.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by fixationdarknes
Ah well I dunno if those are the exact words used, but... I still stand by what I said that optimally there should be no need to switch your grip on the pick for different techniques. And if all you're doing is changing the amount of thumb bend then by all means, that is a quite natural and smooth thing to do and PG recommends changing the pick angle for different approaches. But I'm talking like dramatic pick change, something that would not allow you to transition between different sections of a song.

Thanks man. that is exactly what I meant. Just vary the degree of bend of the thumb to suit the technique you are trying to perform.

I didn't mean to tell the TS that he should change the whole way to perform just one technique then switch back to normal. I think that would be very inefficient.

Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
Last edited by crimson moon at Jan 25, 2009,
Or you could hold it normally.

Dozens of famous guitarists or vocalists do things differently that never get noticed.

Serj Tankian and the way he holds his microphone.

Or Brian May and his pick.
A week ago, I played with my thumb in.

The past week I've been trying to play with my thumb out, and now that I can do it as well as with my thumb in, I haven't noticed that much of a difference.

I do find it easier to sweep-pick with my thumb in, though.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE