As in HAARP. Any suggestions as to getting a sound similar to Matt Bellamy's?

Ta
***Short Sig***
check out guitargeek.com there's a rig on there for him, its an old one, but a good place to start
most of matt bellamys rigs computerised now, ala map of the problematique. only fx i know he uses are an electro harmonix big muff, Zvex fuzz factory and a digitech whammy (invincible & new born solo's). and not to mention the mattocasters
he uses custom guitars made by a shop in devon called mansons, a telecaster style. mostly uses p90 pickups, marshall amps i think?
Be prepared to spend a sh*tload of money is all I can say.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Fuzz Factory
Digitech Whammy
MXR Phase 90
(theres more but no off the top of my head)

Diezel VH4 amplifier heads.
Marshall mode 4 cabinets.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
fuzz factory defintely! he has them built into half his guitars, a whammy is pretty important for a few solos and all, he also has a phase 90 built into several of his guitars like you hear in stockholm syndrome, his guitars tend to have humbuckers like the bare knuckles nailbomb in the bridge and P90 in the neck.
hes used all sorts of amplifiers in the past, I''m pretty sure hes used a Mesa road King in the past, and I think hes using a Diezel VH4 with marshall cabs i believe.
Diezel VH4 + Mode Four cabs
Phase 90
Whammy
Fuzz Factory

Thats all you need

A Budget Rig could be a Marshall DSL, he used one when he was recording their first album 'Showbiz'.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
What exactly is HAARP?

A controversial american science experiment in alaska, read up on it.

And for TS... his tone comes from his Deizel VH4 and an old marshall, with along with his manson guitars which have a korg kaossilator built in with some, and other crazy effects also built in....and of course his fuzz factory.

All of that is going to be massivly expensive, so perhaps the fuzz factory would be the best value way to reach his tone.
Well some boutique gear and a Kaoss Pad in your guitar helps...

But mostly yeah, you can get close with just a really intense fuzz.

And I agree, the HAARP album is fantastic. I watch the dvd almost every time I run on the treadmill.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by The 7.18
most of matt bellamys rigs computerised now, ala map of the problematique. only fx i know he uses are an electro harmonix big muff, Zvex fuzz factory and a digitech whammy (invincible & new born solo's). and not to mention the mattocasters

this pretty much.

he doesnt use the fuzz factory as much as youd think.
but yea for songs that use it, its unmistakable. with just the big muff and a decent high gain amp you can get a similar enough sound i think.

check some muse forums. they know whats up.

PS:if you think his rig is crazy, look at the bassist's....
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Last edited by Greenwood991 at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by Greenwood991
this pretty much.

he doesnt use the fuzz factory as much as youd think.
but yea for songs that use it, its unmistakable. with just the big muff and a decent high gain amp you can get a similar enough sound i think.

check some muse forums. they know whats up.

PS:if you think his rig is crazy, look at the bassist's....

The bassists GUITAR rig kicks my rigs ass. HOW IS THAT FAIR! He's not even the guitarist!
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
yeah try the boss octave dildo simulator
My Gear:
Black Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2 12
Boss DD-3
Boss MD-2
Boss TU-2
Boss Ge-7
Digitech Synth/Wah
Jekyl and Hyde Ultimate Overvrive (the old school one)