Page 1 of 2
Since the late 60's, there's been a conflict between rock bands who value heavy loud music, and the other who values social rebellion as a theme.
The Stooges and Velvet Underground were the protopunks who tried to oppose the rising popularity of heavy metal predecessors like Cream, Jimi hendrix, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple.

When the uneducated metalheads talk of punk, they say "it's ****ing ****!"
When punks, emos, goths, and skaters comment on metal they usually say "I don't like it, it's too loud."

Personally I'm on neither side, though I may lean more on the Heavy Metal.
As a Zeppelin fan I just can't fully accept the music of the rebels who rely on the heart rather than technical ability.
Honestly though most modern punk bands, or the so-called pop punks, are dull.

On the other hand Metal is very technically, especially those by Megadeth.
I can hardly call it music, but those like Opeth and Led Zeppelin make magnificant metal that borrows heavily from other genres.

Which side are YOU on?
you cant generalise everybody like that ya 'tard
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
You've put quite a bit of thought into this. It's a shame I can't return the favour...
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
the jonas brothers are sooo
█▄█ █▀█ ▀█▀
█▀█ █▄█ ♥█
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘ PEACE! LOVE! JONAS!
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Quote by (vince)
Good music. No matter on what side it's on.

me too. I'm on the side of good music. There is crap punk and crap metal and there is good punk and good metal.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Folk music will crush both genres through proper application of the beard.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
The pheasant has no agenda.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
metal ftw! just cause i dont like punk much

Quote by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course
Quote by pbiggie
me too. I'm on the side of good music. There is crap punk and crap metal and there is good punk and good metal.

+1
Quote by radomu
Since the late 60's, there's been a conflict between rock bands who value heavy loud music, and the other who values social rebellion as a theme.
The Stooges and Velvet Underground were the protopunks who tried to oppose the rising popularity of heavy metal predecessors like Cream, Jimi hendrix, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple.

When punks, emos, goths, and skaters comment on metal they usually say "I don't like it, it's too loud."

As a Zeppelin fan I just can't fully accept the music of the rebels who rely on the heart rather than technical ability.

I can hardly call it music, but those like Opeth and Led Zeppelin make magnificant metal that borrows heavily from other genres.

Which side are YOU on?

excuz me wtf was dat
Quote by radomu

So it's a war of uneducated people?
Quote by radomu

Which side are YOU on?

What?

And you're generalizing metal and punk listeners. Thrash metal borrowed heavily off hardcore punk so...yes.
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.
While a lot of punk music isn't very good, some bands have a good lyrical message.

So, I'm not on any side, really.
Quote by dubstar92
Sparks92 is made of win

Member #26 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.
PM stepco12345 to join!

Last edited by Sparks92 : Tomorrow at 13:37 AM.
so...?
Quote by blue_strat
This is Germany we're talking about.

Germany

Quote by stoner179
Thanks alot. When i read the first sentence, i dont know why, but i laughed in the middle of my first class at tech school. You sir have made me look like a fool for the first and last time
ts, you just took a massive sh!t all over your keyboard when your wrote that post,

full of crap
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
I'm a punk but I got a lot of Metal in my collection, mainly Thrash through.

I like interesting riffs and solos (being a guitarist and all) but I despise songs that have minutes of mindless shredding in.
I have been heavily into punk music for many years, and have yet to be informed of this war...

Should I buy a gun?
Quote by sargasm
I have been heavily into punk music for many years, and have yet to be informed of this war...

Should I buy a gun?

If you're a punk, you run.
Metalheads have shotguns, you can't beat them
why i like metal: it's good music, lots of skill and great riffs.

why i like punk: it's good music, doesn't need skill and great riffs.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
I like a bit of both...but I listen to more metal bands than punk bands. Proper punk bands, anyway.

Frankly, I know this is heresy, but I prefer "pop-punks" to real punks. These days, the division is blurred. Are Street Dogs real punk? What about Set Your Goals? Or the Swingin' Utters? Or Dropkick Murphies? It's hard to tell.

Also, I think the major divison these days isn't punk vs. metal, it's all rock subgenres vs. all hip-hop subgenres.
I didnt hear of any "metal vs punk war"? We have been good friends with each other from the start, from what i can see.

If anything, in the southeast asian region, the war was black against death in the early 90s.
i like them both because they got rid of hippies and **** music

Quote by Minkaro
Yeah...I'm a metal fan. Could we not just have a heated game of Scrabble?

you sunk my scrabble ship!
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by raysoh8
I didnt hear of any "metal vs punk war"? We have been good friends with each other from the start, from what i can see.

If anything, in the southeast asian region, the war was black against death in the early 90s.

There was a bit of conflict in the 80's, when punks were all like "METAL IZ DED LOL" and then Iron Maiden and Judas Priest rose to fame, and metal fans were all like "PUNX R GAY".

These days, however, not even the most severe metal elitists will complain if you listen to Megadeth and Black Flag.
im on both... i honestly listen to all sorts of metal to screamo and punk rock
Member Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.

I Play the Bagpipes.

they actually are a pleasant instrument.
Quote by radomu

Which side are YOU on?

i dont know any punk listeners that dont listen to metal because its too loud
IS anybody else picturing a group of greasy metalheads behind a fortification shouting 'THE PUNKS ARE COMING!!! MAN THE HARPOONS!!! LEEERROOOYYYY JEENNNKIINSSSSS!'
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
O rly?

look at cliffs shirt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0rs0QxFWSA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK3iFdBcVqU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJDcVj3FTZ4

but i kinda know what you mean, i like both genres and when i go onto the punk forum im instantly called "an ignorant metalhead" no matter what i say. and whenever i meantion punk around metalheads a lot of times their like
"meh, punk is boring"
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
I prefer punk simply because metal is too much like a competition. Who can be the fastest? Who can be the heaviest? Who can be the most brutal? Who can be the most technical? What band is the most ****ed up and evil? Who can be the most epic? etc. etc.

Whereas punk concentrates on just writing good songs rather than being "the most" (with a few notable exceptions)
Quote by DanRev
I prefer punk simply because metal is too much like a competition. Who can be the fastest? Who can be the heaviest? Who can be the most brutal? Who can be the most technical? What band is the most ****ed up and evil? Who can be the most epic? etc. etc.

Whereas punk concentrates on just writing good songs rather than being "the most" (with a few notable exceptions)

and punk is not? who can be the most punk? who can not sell out and somehow put enough food on the table to keep them alive? who can be the most original yet "keep it simple" with 3-5 chords per song?

both genres have their own ridiculous competitions
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Page 1 of 2