Hi,

Ive been playing guitar for.. well this would be my fourth year this year, im heavily into metal, and ive been searching rigorously for guitar exercises to work on, i have john petruccis rock discipline, i have rustey cooleys shred manifesto, but for some reason or another, when i attempt to practise this stuff, it doesnt work because i have no structure, and to be quite honest, im terrible at time maintenance and i was hoping that the people at UG would be able to help me come up with stuff that will help me out,

I have one long.. long... LONNNGGG.. long term goal... and thats to be the best in the world, i know it sounds like a long shot, but when i practise i keep this in mind and i am able to maintain serious focus, my problem is i have no idea on how to organise my information!

Please help me i have ran out of options, i have just finished school, i only just got into JMC academy in sydney and i have a lot of time on my hands, please help,

Thankyou in advance.
Last edited by Georgetoheat at Jan 25, 2009,
Email me.
Metal!!!/COLOR]<br><br>
Gear:
LTD M-200FM
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50.
Ibanez SZ720FM
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Boss GE-7
Zoom II Effects Pedal
Why do you play guitar? What aspect of guitar do you want to be the best at?
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
i love to make incredible music, i love to make these heroic sounding melodies and i love writing new riffs, i love performing live and i love bands like dragonforce, trivium insomnium also artists like paul gilbert and the kinda bands which have intense guitar work, i love how intricate the guitar can be.
i wanna be the best player in the world, like, i wanna be able to rip out arpeggios and etc, but i dont just wanna be a machine, i wanna give them purpose, i want to make meaningul music and i want to be the best at it, i want to have great technique so as to be able to play anything that pops into my head, and alot of stuff that pops into my head im incapable of doing, so i have to record my voice which sounds rather amusing lol.

im sorry if this was rather long, but i dunno how to explain it, i just have this attraction to guitar, i cant put it down lol
Quote by Georgetoheat
i love to make incredible music, i love to make these heroic sounding melodies and i love writing new riffs, i love performing live and i love bands like dragonforce, trivium insomnium also artists like paul gilbert and the kinda bands which have intense guitar work, i love how intricate the guitar can be.
Exercises and videos from guitarists like Rusty Cooley and being "heavily into metal" won't help. You need to be heavily into music, not metal.

If you're serious about writing music, you need to be dedicated. Learn as much theory as possible, study/analyse as many songs as possible, read some classical melody writing books, read classical/jazz harmony writing books, learn counterpoint.
Quote by Georgetoheat
i wanna be the best player in the world, like, i wanna be able to rip out arpeggios and etc, but i dont just wanna be a machine, i wanna give them purpose, i want to make meaningul music and i want to be the best at it, i want to have great technique so as to be able to play anything that pops into my head, and alot of stuff that pops into my head im incapable of doing, so i have to record my voice which sounds rather amusing lol.

im sorry if this was rather long, but i dunno how to explain it, i just have this attraction to guitar, i cant put it down lol
"Ripping out arpeggios" is not meaningfull music. Writing meaningfull music means taking alot of care with what you're writing. Exercises might make you play faster or more accuratly (I wouldn't know, I avoid exercises and I'm quite happy with my skill), but they're not going to help you write meaningfully.

And great technique is like this: Worthless unless you have great writing skills. That's great that you can shred at 26nps, but can you make your guitar cry? About the "greatest guitar player" thing, don't even try it. There are millions of guys out there that can shred out arpeggios faster than your eyes can track their fingers, but guess how many out there can write a good song? Barely any.
So who's a better guitarist, the guy that can play ridiculously fast or the guy that can write ridiculously well?
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
The more the better.

I guess you need to be happy with what you write. Guys like Bach rewrote writing conventions. But alot of punk guys are happy slamming out powerchords and screaming over the top of it all.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.