Hi we got a huge problem , we got a band... But our drum is to loud.
We are just playing on 400 watt amps but the drum just keep on getting over the music...

Any ideas to get it less loud or something? =pp
Ask the drummer to play slightly softer?

It's not ****ing rocket science, you want me to wipe your arse as well?

Seriously any drummer worth anything can change his dynamics.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
Quote by Joe4/4/1992
have you got dampeners/practice pads on the drums?

u wuldnt use them, cos then the drums dont sound like drums...trust me

Quote by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course
Turn up the amps? I mean, 400 watt amps, is your drummer playing with a shotgun or something?
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

This.
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
What kind of room are you in? Is there anything to absorb the sound? If not, hang curtains or egg cartons or some crap on the walls to stop the sound bouncing around so much. Get brush sticks or whatever they're called and tell your drummer to play softer. other than that, idk. put him outside or something.
Last edited by ~Moby Dick~ at Jan 25, 2009,
I read that as 'drug problem' TS.

I suggest maybe turning the amps up slightly louder?
Tell him to use lighter sticks, sounds strange but bigh fat sticks make big that sounds.

And even though he'll complain and say he can't just tell him to try and play more gently

Also if your in a room with alot of recerb put up some auralex foam or failing that old rugs to dampen it abit. Maybie even build a perspex shield to put infront of the drumkit
tell him to play softer and if he disagrees threaten to replace his disposable ass with a drum machine.

drummers arent human and should be treated as such...
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Quote by Mike 'em all

fair enough, but if the noise of the drums is too overpowering i just thought they might've helped, the drummer from my old band had thin sheets of rubber over his drums just for noise reduction when we were practicing cos back in those days we had really ****ty amps lol
Shoot your drummer.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Drum Forum.

Oh wait.

Seriously, if your drummer is playing over a 400 watt amp, he's just playing way too ****ing loud.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Considering I manage to be heard perfectly clearly over my drummer with a 60 watt amp I'd find a drummer who doesn't go through a set of skins a practise.
Alternatively ask him to play quieter - its really not that difficult.
Wtf how big are his ****ing drums if you need a 400watt amp.
███████
███████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████

we had a problem in my band kinda like this, we just folded napkins and taped them to his drums XD and we through a pillow in his bass drum.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

+ 1
Turn the amps up (its 400 watts ffs)
Get the drummer to play softer
Quote by mental_zer0

The fear of the clock became too obvious. got expelled.

Quote by jmilli2
Spread rumours that she is a jew. Then all you need to do is sit back and wait for the secret police to make her 'disappear'.

lol?
It's 400 watts and you can't hear it over acoustic drums?

Either you're drummer is the incredible hulk, or you forgot to turn your amp on.
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
Get someone else to play the drums using your old drummers severed arms. It won't help your situation, but it would be damn cool.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by FunkasPuck
tell him to play softer and if he disagrees threaten to replace his disposable ass with a drum machine.

drummers arent human and should be treated as such...

agreed
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

This, plus, you have to make sure the drummer is back a bit. We setup a spot for our drummer, which we have deemed "his faggy little emo corner". We stand about 5-12 feet away.
Quote by Mike 'em all

Then get a new drummer. I've heard they come in 12-packs nowadays....
Quote by herby190
This, plus, you have to make sure the drummer is back a bit. We setup a spot for our drummer, which we have deemed "his faggy little emo corner". We stand about 5-12 feet away.

My band did that to our old drummer. But we called it his silly mexican holding pen.
Quote by JakdOnCrack
My band did that to our old drummer. But we called it his silly mexican holding pen.

......... .......was your drummer mexican, or are you just a genius?
Quote by andychalmers102
It's 400 watts and you can't hear it over acoustic drums?

Either you're drummer is the incredible hulk, or you forgot to turn your amp on.

This. Why the hell would you make your drummer play softer when you have ****ing 400 watts?
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Move your amps off the floor and learn to EQ properly. Turn your gain down and mids up.

Everyone saying the drummer needs to play quieter can GTFO.

EDIT: What are these mysterious 400 watt amps anyway?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by timi_hendrix
Everyone saying the drummer needs to play quieter can GTFO.

why?

the solution to an overpowering sound isn't always to turn the other things up. that's how you end up deaf.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by JakdOnCrack

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
why?

the solution to an overpowering sound isn't always to turn the other things up. that's how you end up deaf.

+1 turning up the "400w" amps probably wont sound as good as the drummer playing softer.

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
why?

It never occurs to people that you need to hit the drums hard to play some things. You go and tap a crash cymbal with a stick, then hit it harder and tell me it doesn't sound better. People are always on about pure volume being important in guitar tone, it's the same for drums to an extent. There's also the argument that you can't necessarily play some things as well when you have to hit them really softly.

I highly doubt his drummer if hitting unnaturally hard, it's extremely difficult to drown out an amp completely just by smacking the drums.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
If's he's a good drummer he should know how loud he should be playing. You should fire him, because it seems to me that he's in fact NOT a good drummer.
Long story short, new, better drummer= less problem
Quote by JewMasatFlex
astepabove for president?

Wanna buy a duck?
as a drummer (or a musician who also plays the drums as the case may be - don't worry, drummers haven't learned to use computers) I'd say either these mysterious '400w' amps are 40w amps, or your drummer is playing far too loud. I play drums for my band, and we practive with 60w and 100w amps, usually turned down to less than 1/4 volume and I think I play fairly loud.

get him to stuff his drums with scrunched up newspaper, it doesn't impede the sound as much as padding the outside, and tends to give a clearer sound as well.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.