so my band plays some heavy, some not so heavy stuff and at the moment were getting a few ideas for covers together for a gig at a pub soon. we've got purple haze down, and probably gonna do an acoustic version of creep and best of you by foo fighters. the set will be about half an hour long and we'll play about 3 of our originals which are heavy-ish.

so my question is this, with an acoustic cover of creep already, and best of you which is pretty soft i guess, would an acoustic version of smells like teen spirit totally ruin the feel of the set or would it actually be awesome? i don't want to kill the song and we don't particularly want to be recognises as a 'soft' band but it could be cool even so?
Please, for the love of God, don't cover Smells Like Teen Spirit. At all.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....

This.

Whatever you do, don't play it.

Nirvana could barely do it.
it will only work if you put a lot of time into making a really good arangement, if you just play it like it normally is with acoustic guitars it will suck
Quote by Black Star

haha, so are you just not a nirvana fan or is there actually a good reason? i mean, as the #1 song of the 90s i assumed that firstly people would recognise it at a gig (which is obviously kind of important), secondly, that it could be cool because aside from anything else its a GREAT song, and thirdly, that is one song that people dance to man, no question

so, what is it too cliché? its a pub gig dude!

alright so sticking with the nirvana theme, a song that people still know really well? heart shaped box? come as you are?
id prefer them honestly, but theres no point playing a cover that no one knows
^I'm actually very much a Nirvana fan. It's very overdone, it's a horrible song, and overall, nobody ever seems to do it a good job of it. Even Nirvana. Unless you completely change the arrangement of the song, it'll go over like a lead balloon.

Come As You Are would be an excellent choice, especially since it's still pretty well known, yet not anywhere near as overplayed.

How about Man in the Box by Alice in Chains? Alive or Even Flow by Pearl Jam? Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden?
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Last edited by Black Star at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by Black Star
^I'm actually very much a Nirvana fan. It's very overdone, it's a horrible song, and overall, nobody ever seems to do it a good job of it. Even Nirvana. Unless you completely change the arrangement of the song, it'll go over like a lead balloon.

Come As You Are would be an excellent choice, especially since it's still pretty well known, yet not anywhere near as overplayed.

How about Man in the Box by Alice in Chains? Alive or Even Flow by Pearl Jam? Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden?

OP, listen to this guy. He has some good suggestions. SLTS is the only song more off-limits than Stairway!
Quote by wardyh
so my band plays some heavy, some not so heavy stuff and at the moment were getting a few ideas for covers together for a gig at a pub soon. we've got purple haze down, and probably gonna do an acoustic version of creep and best of you by foo fighters. the set will be about half an hour long and we'll play about 3 of our originals which are heavy-ish.

so my question is this, with an acoustic cover of creep already, and best of you which is pretty soft i guess, would an acoustic version of smells like teen spirit totally ruin the feel of the set or would it actually be awesome? i don't want to kill the song and we don't particularly want to be recognises as a 'soft' band but it could be cool even so?

its up to you whether it's "awesome" or not. If you like the song, and think you do it justice.... go for it. It's a classic song.

Quote by Philbigtime
OP, listen to this guy. He has some good suggestions. SLTS is the only song more off-limits than Stairway!

^ neither are off limits.

TS.... Play what you want you play. If you guys like playing a song, chances are the audience will appreciate it. You're the one that has to play the songs..... you should choose them. That's better than letting some opinionated dudes on the internet create your set-list for you.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
its up to you whether it's "awesome" or not. If you like the song, and think you do it justice.... go for it. It's a classic song.

^ neither are off limits.

TS.... Play what you want you play. If you guys like playing a song, chances are the audience will appreciate it. You're the one that has to play the songs..... you should choose them. That's better than letting some opinionated dudes on the internet create your set-list for you.

As much as I agree with your post, Smells Like Teen Spirit is one of those songs that it's just not a good idea. Sure, it's possible to pull it off, but you'd be much better off with almost any other song. Especially for an acoustic performance of said song.
Quote by MuffinMan
Forget what these guys say they don't matter, as long as you like it and your audience likes it then it is ok. You are only playing for you and to put on a good show. I say go for it man and rock on!
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
for the love of GOD, DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by atlasguitar
Forget what these guys say they don't matter, as long as you like it and your audience likes it then it is ok. You are only playing for you and to put on a good show. I say go for it man and rock on!

Yeah, but the point is that the audience isn't going to like it. When's the last time you heard a local cover of SLTS that you enjoyed? The odds of it happening are just too small.

Not to enter a huge controversy here, but I really don't buy the "if you love playing it and have a lot of energy, then the crowd will love it" idea. I've seen plenty of self-indulgent local bands that really love their music and get into it, but don't worry about trying to accomodate the audience. Many of these bands contain some great musicians, but that alone does not make a good show--not on the rock scene at least. You have to consciously work hard to convince the audience they will enjoy what you're playing and you have to be descriminating in song choices.

That doesn't mean being an elitist snob, but that generally means not playing SLTS.
Play "Territorial Pissings" instead.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
I'm not sure if you meant creep by Radiohead or STP. Either way, both those songs would be good songs to cover.
Quote by steelefor3
I'm not sure if you meant creep by Radiohead or STP. Either way, both those songs would be good songs to cover.

Although STP's song Creep is awesome, it's assumed that Radiohead is the one being referred to, unless specified.
Quote by MuffinMan