Well, Recently i've been looking a lot at guitars, I mean yeah... There are far better guitars out there than Dean guitars, but I think if you bought a Dean, you'd probably get a hell of a lot better prescence, cause you know instantly people would turn their heads to your guitar.

Do Deans play extremely bad?
What's wrong with them?

Just want to know, for future guitar search-age.. i know not to check / to check the Dean Website

Thanks a lot.
I've got 4 of them. Not a bad player in the bunch. Not a Dime fan so I stay away from the sig stuff, but Dean's on the whole are great. My next 1 will probably be a USA soltaro.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I like them, they make some decent stuff. I just don't like how they are milking Dimebag's name out of it.
Have you found anything wrong with them at all?

I've been looking at the Dime Razorback V, or one of the Razorbacks, maybe the slime bumblebee?
They play very nice, I have a razorback V, and it ranks as one of the best guitars I have ever owned and I have had many gibson,fender,ibanez,schecer,ESP,jackson exc.exc. But really I wouldnt look at the just a brand every good guitar line has the potential to be a great guitar just depends on how it sounds and feels to you. and people thinking Dean is milking dimes name is laughable every razorback was designed by dime the only thing dean changes is the paint schemes and the money goes to either Rita(dimes longtime GF/ commonlaw wife) or vinnie paul one of those 2 own rites to dimes estate. Its like saying Fender is milking SRV, or Jackson is milking Randy Rhodes.
Last edited by DimeLvR at Jan 25, 2009,
That is true,

And it's good to know you've ranked it so highly, it means that it has to be pretty damn good in your eyes.
Yeah, some people don't like the feel of certain guitars. It depends on the player and how it fits you.
Well..

I'm a metal head, so i'd say it'd fit me perfectly fine.

I know what you mean though, you wouldn't exactly turn up to a jazz gig with a Dean V :P.
Not a big Razorback fan, but if that's what floats your boat go for it. best bang for buck in my opinion are the 79 series. Also the black gold series are really nice and come stock with some of the best sounding pickups I've heard in a low cost guitar. Also look used. Some of the older models are really nice. My Icon has a floating piezo bridge that really makes for a unique sound. I haven't been able to find one I like better for less then $1500. Look around. There are some great ones to be had.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Chasing Shadows
Well..

I'm a metal head, so i'd say it'd fit me perfectly fine.

I know what you mean though, you wouldn't exactly turn up to a jazz gig with a Dean V :P.

If I was playing a jazz gig and I made a dean V good for Jazz, I WOULD go toa jazz gig with a Dean V

Anyway, I've played a couple, they weren't bad, but I find you can get so much better for the price, for instance, if you're after a trem, a £300 guitar fromDean with a trem, will be awful, but then look at Ibanez, their trem guitars for that price are top notch. Then say you want EMG pickups, you'd be better odd getting a guitar from Jackson for around £500, than one from dean at £1000, yakno.
But play around and find what you like, don't let my words discourage you if you want a dean.
well pretty much any guitar with a floyd for 300$ wont be much good.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Some of them are good, but when you spend over a grand for a guitar, I think you deserve an OFL and not a ****ty licensed one. It's usually the ones with Dime on the headstock as well that aren't worth the money. I mean.. the owner of Dean quit because of the direction the company was going in or something like that. Their regular V's are really nice though.
Quote by scott58
I've got 4 of them. Not a bad player in the bunch. Not a Dime fan so I stay away from the sig stuff, but Dean's on the whole are great. My next 1 will probably be a USA soltaro.

This man knows what he is talking about. I second this opinion and direct anyone who has anything to say about deans to this quote. Solteros are better than LPs
UG's Prodigal Son
Quote by gorkyporky
well pretty much any guitar with a floyd for 300$ wont be much good.

My Japaneese made 1988 washburn G5-V begs to differ.

oh and TS look here.

http://www.carlinoguitars.com/index.html

biggest and bestest dean dealer on the east coast
UG's Prodigal Son
Last edited by lunaticfringe93 at Jan 25, 2009,
Any model your looking at in particular?

razorbacks are great guitars, get them set up to your preferences and they play like butter.

i love ml's more, the 79s are great guitars for the money
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
As long as it isn't a Dime signature and you like the feel of V necks, then they're good guitars. The Mustaine sig has a D neck if you prefer the flat, thinner necks too. Personally though, i tried a Dean from Hell and i'd say the name suites it... in the bad way. Everything about it felt and sounded cheap but idk. Maybe it was just that one.
Feel is important and they've just never really felt right to me. In fairness, I may be a little biased as to me they're pig ugly and have the most ridiculous headstock I've ever seen. I just wouldn't even consider one but beauty is in the eye of the beholder so if it's what you want; good luck to you.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I've played my friend's razorback and while I don't play metal, it played pretty ok for that genre I guess. Just don't buy anything with "dime" on it.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
I like the head stock on the razorback. on the V's kinda makes it look like its flowin. But I prefer a reversed headstock of ibanez, jackson, ESP's and 7 strings.

to be honest for the price of new razorback you can get a c7fr loomis and that is a great guitar for the $ it sounds and plays nice.

I bought this new local for $900 its a nice guitar I love the color of it and the inlays. Plus it has a OFR 7
i have a black gold ML and although im not that experience its an absolute brilliant guitar, cost me $649 and its brilliant, the tone is great, the neck is nice and thin so its great for fast fretting and all that shreddy stuff (concidering i dont have huge hands so the small neck helps)
the headstocks a little big in my opinion, but that doesnt matter
but yeh dont get a dimebag signiture, they milk his name far too much
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
Another multiple Dean owner here- mine are an EVO Special Select and a Time Capsule Cadillac (3 humbucker).

Never had a problem with either one besides a burr on the bridge that caused some string breakage. 1 trip to the guitar tech and that was over. Since then, I've enjoyed several years of blissful playtime.

I love 'em both, and was recently offered a used (but pristine) Hardtail for $1100 by Satan...er...the owner of my FLMS (see my sig). If I wasn't in the process of buying an amp, I'd have jumped on it. The Solteros and Vendettas also look pretty good.

Love them though I do, I personally wouldn't buy any of their "artist" or "pointy" guitars because:

1) While they're pretty, I don't care for the feel of pointy guitars in general. In addition, Dean (as well as other manufacturers) are getting a "kewl" premium for those styles because their popularity with metal bands translates pretty well into popularity with metal fans. Almost regardless of brand, you should be able to find a similarly equipped guitar for a cheaper price if you avoid the "pointy" guitars- IOW, more bang for the buck.

2) In any given brand or line, the artist models probably have about $300 or so in royalties built into their prices, meaning that you can do better with a non-endorsed model.

3) The entry-level Deans have been getting a little of a bad rep, ESPECIALLY the ones aimed at the metal crowd- V's, MLs, Zs etc.

That said, I've heard nothing but good things about their '79 reissues (regardless of type) which supposedly are made to the specs of the guitars that made Dean a force to be reckoned with in the first place.

And if you're still skeptical about Deans in general, check out DBZ guitars, Dean Zelinsky's new line that features some similar styles, but

http://www.dbzguitars.com/web/collection.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Royalties= the only reason to buy a Dime. The person who recieves that $ Dime cared about most and prob. took care of. He was an inspiration to millions we need to as fans help take care of that person best we can by buying albums and gear that his Estate endorses and gains royalties from.
Quote by DimeLvR
Royalties= the only reason to buy a Dime. The person who recieves that $ Dime cared about most and prob. took care of. He was an inspiration to millions we need to as fans help take care of that person best we can by buying albums and gear that his Estate endorses and gains royalties from.

That's such a horrible reason to buy a Dean.

The Dimes are usually sub-par guitars with his name, or sometimes even face ffs, slapped on so people will buy it.
Quote by Pac_man0123

That's such a horrible reason to buy a Dean.

The Dimes are usually sub-par guitars with his name, or sometimes even face ffs, slapped on so people will buy it.

+1
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
i dont like razorbacks because they are HUGE and uncomfortable to play because of their awkward form. the ones i have access to are of nice quality (1000$+).

i keep my guitar up high though, so if yours is by your knees it probably wouldn't be so much of a problem.

as for the neck, im really biased cause im too used to the neck on my guitar, and i always end up disliking the neck on anything else i play.

they don't feel bad though, id just always rather be playing my guitar.
Last edited by SpeedLives at Jan 26, 2009,
In a nutshell, it depends on the specific model. I had a Dean ML79 and it wouldn't be set up. I left it at several shops and they couldn't set it up with low action and no fretting out. I tried out a Chinese Razorback and thought it was uncomfortable and cheap-feeling. My opinion of Dean was pretty dire then, until I tried out a Dave Mustaine VMNT. It felt quite similar to my ESP LTD V-500 but somehow better in every possible way. As soon as I had the cash I bought one, and it arrived with an amazing set up

Moral of the story; try before you buy
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by DimeLvR
I like the head stock on the razorback. on the V's kinda makes it look like its flowin. But I prefer a reversed headstock of ibanez, jackson, ESP's and 7 strings.

to be honest for the price of new razorback you can get a c7fr loomis and that is a great guitar for the $ it sounds and plays nice.

I bought this new local for $900 its a nice guitar I love the color of it and the inlays. Plus it has a OFR 7

Where might you live hm?

*sharpens knives*

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by DimeLvR

Sweet Jesus I hope that was a joke.Dime was a good guitarist,but anyone else notice how he's idolized way more in death than he ever was when he was alive? Seeing all these 15 and 16 year old kids obsessing over him seems kinda weird to me,because most of them didn't know anything about him until he was shot and Dean started turning out new dime models on a weekly basis.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

MLs are great, and they do have a pretty loud appearance if thats what youre looking for. Your tag says 'shredder' so I'm guessing you play metal, but its also more versatile than you'd think.
ippon you have a ****ing sweet guitar man!
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
Quote by Pr0gNut

Sweet Jesus I hope that was a joke.Dime was a good guitarist,but anyone else notice how he's idolized way more in death than he ever was when he was alive? Seeing all these 15 and 16 year old kids obsessing over him seems kinda weird to me,because most of them didn't know anything about him until he was shot and Dean started turning out new dime models on a weekly basis.

I dont know back in 88-89 when I was 11 I heard a song powermetal and it got me to want to play guitar. Whats funny is all these little kids now days with bad japan style hair cuts and who wear girls jeans and shirts that fit a 6yo thinking playing fast and sweep picking is what makes you a good guitar player even though they dont even have an ounce of soul behind their riffs.

If you count paint schemes then yes there are alot of models if you count overall body styles theres less than a dozen. Lets see theres the razorback, The razorback 255, razorback 7 string, Razorback V, Razorback V 255, then the normal dime ML, Not counting Paint jobs is there more I should be aware of?
Last edited by DimeLvR at Jan 27, 2009,
ive heard nothing but really good things about them and I really wanted one for a while but then I saw it in a store and just didnt like the finish on it. I would just go and play one (because they have weird neck shapes from what I remember) and see if you like it.
Multi-Dean owner right here, and endorsed by the company. Most people on UG give Dean a bunch of **** for the overdone Dime thing. Dont' get me wrong I think there's too much Dime stuff but Dean makes some great players.

My favorite Dean is the 1984 ML by far. If you EVER find a vintage Dean like that, grab it. They are by far the best sounding guitars made in the last 30 years
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]