That depends what you define as "tonal difference" and also on each guitar. Two guitars of the same make and model can have completely different tone. The material is unique and so is the sound it produces.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
The first one. A solid top combined with a solid back will give you the best resonance over anything else laminated or otherwise. The back of a guitar is nearly as important in the creation of the sound as the top is. Try this as an experiment. Play an acoustic by holding the guitar out away from your body, so that nothing is touching the back. Then bring it up to your belly and strum the same stuff. You should notice a difference immediately in the volume. This is similar to the difference between solid back vs. laminated, it's just more subtle is all.
Correct. The sides, while they do contribute to the overall tone of a guitar, do it only marginally as compared to the top and back. They are more structurally important than tonally. You would have to have a very discriminating ear to notice the difference between lam sides or solid.
As a side note, another area of an acoustic that is critical to tone, besides the strings of course, is the material of the bridge saddle and nut. If these are low grade plastic say, they won't impart the strings vibrational energy to the guitar near as well as bone or ivory material will. Just a bit more info for you to digest.
i beg to differ, my 600$ martin is laminated sides and back, and it sounds 10X better then my buddies 1000$ full wood Simon and Patrick
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
^ That model Martin isn't even real wood. It's HPL, high pressure laminate. It's a grey syrupy goop that is pressed into a mold to form the shapes for the vairous components of a guitar, then covered with a thin veneer sheet of whatever wood is desired for the final appearance. It also won't change it's tone over the years as true wood guitars will. 20 yrs from now that Martin will sound the same, while an all solid wood version of the same guitar will have matured and sweetened. Plus it won't hold it's value either.
Try your comparison against a Martin HD-28 next time.
Quote by Jiro from GLAY
Another thing, if a guitar says it is 100% figured koa does it mean its completely solid?

That kind of depends on the guitar. See typically when you get into something like figured Koa, you will either know immediately whether or not the wood is solid based on the price. If the guitar is less than... at the VERY LEAST... $1200, then it is definitely not solid figured Koa. Whereas you might find listings for like a Taylor Presentation series guitar that might not even say that it's "solid" Koa, because they expect that everyone knows it is because of the brand reputation and because of the $4000 price tag.

So which guitar are you talking about?

My guess is you are looking at the Takamine EG530SSC (solid top and back, laminated sides) and the Takamine EG544SC or the EF508KC (koa guitars)... or some similar Breedlove models.
Those are sweet guitars. I personally like the EAN10C, EAN20C, and EAN70C better. I like the more traditional body shapes better than the NEX, but that's just my opinion.