I'm looking to tune my Yamaha RBX270 to Drop C and similar drop tunings (like C and D standard) to play some Metal. What I really need to know are which string guages I should look at, which will be able to handle the drop tunings but wont put too much tension on the basses neck.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jan 25, 2009,
You will want the largest string gauge possible really, like 50-110's or your strings are going to be really sloppy.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
get some baritone strings (5 string bass strings) and just lose the thinist guage string
A B string would be a bit thick for D standard. You'd have humongous amounts of tension on the neck by tuning it 2 steps higher.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
A B string would be a bit thick for D standard. You'd have humongous amounts of tension on the neck by tuning it 2 steps higher.

So what guage of a standard 4 set should I look for

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I'd look for a .125 gauge set.

Go to your local guitar store, see what they would recommend.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Quote by tastes_of_ink
get some baritone strings (5 string bass strings) and just lose the thinist guage string

thats just a 5 string bass, not a baritone bass
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by sloasdaylight
How often are you changing your strings/tunings on the same bass?

I'm planning on leaving it in Drop C for the most part, maybe brining it back up to D standard and down to C standard if the strings'll allow it

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You're gonna be ****ing your strings hard if you change often. Personally I'd put the Stingray in drop C and leave it there with a B string at the bottom and then an A, D, and G string dropped down a whole step, and then use the Xplorer you've got for D and standard.
Quote by sloasdaylight
You're gonna be ****ing your strings hard if you change often. Personally I'd put the Stingray in drop C and leave it there with a B string at the bottom and then an A, D, and G string dropped down a whole step, and then use the Xplorer you've got for D and standard.

Tuning the B string up a whole step is a really bad idea, do you know how much tension that's gonna cause?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Except you're tuning it up a half step, and if you're playing on that yamaha, which has a 34" scale neck, the tension won't be so much more that you're going to kill it.
Quote by sloasdaylight
Except you're tuning it up a half step, and if you're playing on that yamaha, which has a 34" scale neck, the tension won't be so much more that you're going to kill it.

Perhaps, but for the mo I'm buying a 50-110 set of Elites, I tried drop C with a set of 45.-105 Roto's and it took Drop C alright, so I'm hoping that the 110's will take Drop C well and might just managed C Standard.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Like I said, its something to try out, if it doesn't work it doesn't work, but personally I am not a fan of slack tuning anything to the point to where you're tuning down past a whole step because of how I set my actions.