Hello everyone!

Firstly, something I noticed while typing the title... Is it bar or barre chords? I have read both on this site?

Anyways, when I do bar chords on guitar, it always seems that the G string it muted, instead of played. This is because of the part where your finger curves in (to be able to bend). How can I flatten this bit out and acutally play the chord?

Cheers!
Move your thumb further down on the back of the neck.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
^+1

Quote by The Gore Child
Firstly, something I noticed while typing the title... Is it bar or barre chords? I have read both on this site?
It's "barre", because it comes from the French.
Quote by gudinge
Wasn't there a thread about this like yesterday?
Quote by ivan_2894
This guy knows what he's talking about
(Ab)using:
* Ibanez PF5 acoustic * Gibson '08 LP Classic * Schecter Damien FR *
* Marshall JCM 2k DSL401 *
* Boss OS-2 * Boss DD-7 *

Eyes on Wah & SD pups
Bar is just an abbreviation, both are correct as they have the same meaning.
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
I have the same problem when I've tried them, and there's little you can do about it initially. The muscles in your finger will eventually adapt to it, but 'til then you'll be playing ghost/muted notes quite often. I don't use bar chords because they're not used at all in the style of music I play, but my brother used to play alot of Nivana/Foo Fighters and he was great at bar chords in a matter of months because of it.
technically and if you want to be anal about things, Its Barre chords but who is going to argue the point really. You need to work on your finger strength so you can press a bit harder or alternitively you can experiment with adjusting your hand slightly so that the "raised" part of your finger is between string. Good luck and Rock Hard
Ah, for stuff like Muse and Radiohead (Creep being a main example) you're arpegiating a barre chord.. And it really sucks when you're going through it really well and you hear that dud note... Putting my thumb lower down? Right, I'll try that.

Cheers for the replies!