Page 1 of 2
I've never really enjoyed the blending of politics and heavy metal, but I was just thinking... with America's Most Hated Citizen out of office and the new media darling taking the seat, how do you foresee the future of any politically charged rock music? I do realize that this topic is mostly covered by "punk" bands, but I'm sure there are some political metal bands out there.

Personally, I think the Obama administration is going to try to please everyone. The thing I liked about Bush was the "love me or hate me, this is what I do" attitude. Obama seems like the kind of guy who wants the whole world to love him and America. He preaches "change" and everyone goes along with it 'cuz it's a nice idea. But people don't want to change **** about themselves, so what makes them think the country is going to change? Anyway, I'm getting off-topic...

In the '90's, the most peaceful decade in American History, we had RATM, probably the most politically charged band in Major Label Rock Music ever, so we had a bunch of copy cats. So the question is...

How do you think metal music/culture will be impacted by this "new era of change?"
didnt understand half of that,,,,

+1
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
Political bands aren't just influenced by the president. I think the credit crunch/world wide reccession will be plenty inspiration
Well, politically charged music is always better when you've got a republican retard in power (nixon, bush) because the musical masses have got a common enemy - But under a liberal I think people will just be bored (don't take that the wrong way, I'm actually jealous that you yanks have got someone competent in power!).

If you're not infuriated by the system then why bother making angry political music, unless you're some angry right wing survivalist who hates liberal politics. I think It'll be a pretty bad 4-8 years for politically charged music, simply 'cus there's not much to be pissed off about... That is, providing Obama delivers - He may be nice and liberal but you have to remember he is a politician, afterall.
Quote by decayingdave
Well, politically charged music is always better when you've got a republican retard in power (nixon, bush) because the musical masses have got a common enemy - But under a liberal I think people will just be bored (don't take that the wrong way, I'm actually jealous that you yanks have got someone competent in power!).

If you're not infuriated by the system then why bother making angry political music, unless you're some angry right wing survivalist who hates liberal politics. I think It'll be a pretty bad 4-8 years for politically charged music, simply 'cus there's not much to be pissed off about... That is, providing Obama delivers - He may be nice and liberal but you have to remember he is a politician, afterall.

Unless they are racist McCain supporters.
Quote by decayingdave

See, I just think that Obama is telling America what they want to hear. As it's been said, he's a great ORATOR. No one has said he's a great leader, because he hasn't led anything to victory. I think he sells "change" very well, but seriously, you think a significant amount of people are going to change their daily routines? If anyone wanted to change ****, they'd quit watching stupid MTV reality shows, turn off their TV, stop text messaging everyone they know and maybe perform one small act of kindness, like I dunno... hold the door open for a senior citizen. This whole "we can change" thing really just pisses me off. It's like hearing your step-mom say on New Years "I'm gonna lose all this extra weight this year, this is the year to do it." And come September, the fat cow added 20 lbs, all on her thighs 'cuz she didn't do a damn thing but watch The Biggest Loser while stuffing her face with popcorn and ice cream all night.

And just you watch... come 2011, America will seem to have gotten a face lift, but we'll still be the same fatasses watching the beatiful people on TV.

Ain't NOTHING gonna change.

Keep It Metal edit: Korina- yes, 'deth's new album will be a politically charged ripper for sure. Mustaine for ****ing President. Now THAT would be change, mother****ers!
Last edited by guitgrinder at Jan 25, 2009,
It's all the news media. They get people in the mind-set that we have a HUGE "economic crisis," so then people stop spending their money, even though they would normally have spent it, therefore people can't make any money, therefore actually weakening the economy. People think that America is in a desperate situation, and when this happens, people like the good speaker that talks about "hope" or "change."
^In a way, the economy is a media construct. LONG LIVE THE FREE WORLD.

Anyway, I don't think you understand the principles of political influence in music. As long as there is an uneven playing field with people in control (some having more power than others, some having less etc) there will be people to bitch about it.
And I agree with both of you. How is money supposed to work when McBillionaire is letting 676 million dollars are just sittin' there in the bank?

And as far as this whole "bailout" thing goes... it's a freakin' joke. How about putting some regulations on the amount of interest credit card companies can charge? Or doing a massive consumer credit reevaluation so that people pay significantly less than what their credit company says they do. Even making the process for getting a credit card should be harder. At least more of a standardized qualification, rather than 30 companies sending everyone Pre-Approval notices.

But yes, Magero is correct... until there is a balance in power, people will bitch.
But then we'd basically be Communist and people would bitch about that too!
Quote by guitgrinder
How about putting some regulations on the amount of interest credit card companies can charge?

How about teaching people to read the small print and not pointlessly overspend on their credit cards?
I'm pretty sure that the entire reason this crap is happening is because Americans are idiots.
American banks hand out huge loans that the average person has no fucking chance of paying back with huge interest charges on top, and when they repossess the house, they're left with a house and none of the money they needed for it.
The consumer is an idiot and the supplier is too short sighted to fix anything.
Quote by guitgrinder
Ain't NOTHING gonna change

Obama's already set in motion his plans to close Guantanamo bay and had stem cell research OKed so it's only been 5 days and things have already changed.

And lol @ pretty much everybody misunderstanding Capitalism in this thread
Well, that would work... but it's kind of late for that now, eh? Also, most credit cards start out somewhere like 18-22%, but if you even accidentally miss a payment, ya get bumped up to 25-35% interest rates... and it's not like they take you back down to 18% the next month when ya get your payment in on time. Then that creates a cycle... do I want to buy diapers for my kid, or do I pay my card back? Should I pay my card and buy more diapers with it, thus exacerbating the problem? Reading the small print on a credit card isn't quite the same thing as reading the small print about new thread posting here on UG. I'd need a financial advisor to truly understand the credit card agreement, and they know that... they rely on people's lack of financial knowledge to get their money.

Anyway, we're supposed to talking about metal, so maybe we should just close this thread...
Quote by Magero
I'm pretty sure that the entire reason this crap is happening is because Americans are idiots.
American banks hand out huge loans that the average person has no fucking chance of paying back with huge interest charges on top, and when they repossess the house, they're left with a house and none of the money they needed for it.

you're an idiot...
Quote by kirkhammett09
you're an idiot...

He's an idiot? For being realistic about finance?
Quote by Magero

That's why I proposed the idea of making credit and loan approvals more difficult to receive... like you have to qualify to a higher standard for large amounts of money, rather than banks handing out Pre-Approvals.

But I agree that, people, especially many American's are retarded. My friend Pete and I were talking about this the other day... how people bitch about their high cost insurance deductible or their car payment, but their perfectly OK with a $200 bar tab every Friday night, or their $6 caffeine and mochanated bull**** drink every morning before work... oh, and cigarettes... gotta have those $6 on coffee and $4 on cigs = $10 x avg. 20 days (work week per month)= $200. Two hundred a month on smokes and coffee. But why? Why must my hi=def plasma screen cost so damn much? Why God? I thought you blessed America! We're a free country. This should be like... free!
Quote by Magero
Yes.
Of course I am.
That's why my country is in a rece-...
Goddamnit, I can't even use sarcasm.
MY COUNTRY IS WANGED THANKS TO YOURS.

lmao, calm down.. I'm just kidding
Quote by webbtje
He's an idiot? For being realistic about finance?

exactly, now you've got the hang of it.. double post ftw
When luxury is the norm, responsibility and rationality are lost.

I must say though, that even in an "economic struggle" I'm doing OK. I never really liked the idea of credit cards, but life circumstance forced me to get them at two points... very small amounts, but still... I paid one off a couple of months ago. I've only got $500 left on this other one, and I'm closing my account. Also, with my tax return, I'll be able to pay 6 months of rent in advance. I also plan on paying my phone and auto ins. ahead for the same amount of time... which will achieve me 6 whole months of financial immunity, essentially. I'll have little to no monthly bills... all that I make will be mine to spend as I see fit. eating, gasoline, iMac, truck repair... all I can do right now though is hope nothing ****s this up for me!
Quote by guitgrinder

But I agree that, people, especially many American's are retarded.

lol
yeah, yeah... that apostrophe isn't supposed to be there. It's 8:30AM and I'm baked. In any case, I do think that someone can still be highly intelligent (in certain areas) even if they aren't great with grammar.
Last edited by guitgrinder at Jan 25, 2009,
hopefully, politically charged bands will sing about whatever topics they happen to feel strongly about and wont be lost now that the cliched punching bag has been taking away.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by guitgrinder
yeah, yeah... that apostrophe isn't supposed to be there. It's 8:30AM and I'm baked. In any case, I do think that someone can still be highly intelligent (in certain areas) even if they aren't great with grammar.

I question the common sense and restraint of anyone who's high at 8.30 AM, if I'm being honest.
Quote by webbtje
I question the common sense and restraint of anyone who's high at 8.30 AM, if I'm being honest.

Ain't no thing but a wake and bake. Ja?

Obama is going to do a damn fine job. "Political" bands will continue to cry and whine and bitch and throw hissy fits without ever once offering a single hint of solution or progress.

Its the nature of these things.

And of course America sucks with money. We are a rich nation of rich luxuries who's dream consist of the biggest house possible filled with chocolate covered playboy bunnies and a hamburger vending machine.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
This thread implies that all metal bands are liberal, and that you can only preach Left-Wing ideals if writing politically themed lyrics. Boo! Hiss!

The surveillance culture, and the sense that you are continually being watched - something that is increasing vastly across the world - has inspired and will inspire some metal bands - mainly Thrash by my guess - to write some politics shiz. As will the ongoing pointless wars which are ocurring. The threat of nuclear war - not a right or left wing thing - can inspire metal bands, too.

Just because a Democrat is in the White House doesn't mean everyone will be happy about the current situation the World is in.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by decayingdave

It has to be 'good' before it can be 'better'.

Political music sucks, IMO. I feel that if you have something political to say, leave it out of your music, because you're ruining art with the purest form of evil, politics. But also, I feel that musicians should stick to music and leave politics to the politicians. I mean, look at Bono. People hate him more than ever because of his overzealous, pretentious knobbery in the political arena.
Quote by The Kreator
Unless they are racist McCain supporters.

Yeah, because not supporting Obama's bull**** makes you racist...
Obama's bullshit has already signed orders to shut down Guantanamo. He reversed Bush's policy of not giving money to foreign establishments which promote abortions and OKed stem cell research, at long bloody last.

Bit better than McCain and co's bullshit, which consisted of waiting for him to die so a clinically insane person could go out and ruin the world even more.
Last edited by webbtje at Jan 25, 2009,
We'll have a white 'Public Enemy' in a couple years, so maybe we'll get something descent to come out of politically charged music (not counting Nevermore).
I like what The Evil Hat said about bands jsut writing about what they are passionate about when it comes to polotics. And anyway, there are way more things than jsut america and all that money **** to complain about. There are ways more people living ****ty lives in third world countries and **** than people getting poor in wealthy parts of the world.
lol @ all you people thinking there is no grounds for politically motivated music just because we have obama in office,
as long as we're in iraq, the drug war continues, there are poor people, there are greedy people, there is corruption, darfur continues, people are starving, etc. there will be plenty of ground for music to cover

I think it's true: your abilities and personality determine how you vote. You may be hardwired to be more conservative or more liberal no matter which party you're in, but nature's secret is that those attributes reflect the kind of role in which you're comfortable.

If you've got true leadership potential, meaning that you can go into an unknown situation and figure out a strategy and see it to completion despite unexpected twists and turns, you'll think like a historian when it comes to politics.

If you're a hard working, clear-thinking person, you'll do your best to defend society and always be from the Don't Fix It If It Ain't Broke camp.

But on the other hand if you can't stop spending your money and time on distractions, and therefore are always beneath the wheel, you're going to get defensive and join the It's Not My Fault horde, and want handouts, special permissions, exceptions, etc. on a constant basis because you'll see yourself as the perennial victim.

I bet this applies to music, too, but not musical genre per se (although all nu-metal fans are drones).

From this article which has offended 6,173 people so far.
Page 1 of 2