i'm in need of new strings can anyone tell me what is the best kind of strings you can get for an acoustic guitar.
D'ADDARIO 12's > all
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
i love my martins sound amazing on the acoustic, for elec i like daddario so id suspect their acoustic strings are nice too
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I've tried John Pearse strings. Very nice sound, but they didn't last. Died within 2 weeks.

My current all time favourite strings are...

Non-coated: Martin Eric Clapton Signatures

These strings have a very good balance of bass and treble, which I find to be rare. Most strings I come across are much more trebly an bright. These gave a lot of warmth, but at the same time a lot of definition.

Coated: Cleartone EMP

These strings have lasted. For those of you who don't know about me and my hands... My sweat is VERY acidic. I corrode through strings like no tomorrow. Elixirs, which everyone praises for long life, die in the same period of time as any other strings. These cleartones that I have on right now haven't even started to change colour. That's quite impressive/amazing to me.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
i love Elixir acoustic strings. Ive tried some Epiphone ones before too.. they were Okay.
Quote by captivate
I've tried John Pearse strings. Very nice sound, but they didn't last. Died within 2 weeks.

My current all time favourite strings are...

Non-coated: Martin Eric Clapton Signatures

These strings have a very good balance of bass and treble, which I find to be rare. Most strings I come across are much more trebly an bright. These gave a lot of warmth, but at the same time a lot of definition.

Coated: Cleartone EMP

These strings have lasted. For those of you who don't know about me and my hands... My sweat is VERY acidic. I corrode through strings like no tomorrow. Elixirs, which everyone praises for long life, die in the same period of time as any other strings. These cleartones that I have on right now haven't even started to change colour. That's quite impressive/amazing to me.

If I remember right, you once described it as "like a fat boy working his way through a twinkie"

I'll have to give the cleartones a look. Although, coated strings kind of scare me after seeing the ones on my DCE's guitar. The coating was hanging off of the strings.......gross.......

Anyway, my personal favorites (right now at least) are D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Light. Nice, bright sound, and just enough bass to get me by.

Of course, I like a brighter, more trebly (that a word?) sound, so what I like might not be what you're looking for.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by Natrone
If I remember right, you once described it as "like a fat boy working his way through a twinkie"

I'll have to give the cleartones a look. Although, coated strings kind of scare me after seeing the ones on my DCE's guitar. The coating was hanging off of the strings.......gross.......

LOL. Yes, I also believe I said that.

As for the cleartones, I think they coat the winding and core separately and then put them together, unlike Elixirs, which are definitely coated after they are wound together(I would know because when I used the elixirs, I shredded the coating off). Also, the B and high E strings on the cleartones are coated, unlike elixirs.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
^Awesome. I'll have to see if my local shop has them. I get all of my accessories and such from them since I hate GC. In fact, if at all possible, I buy all of my gear from them. I think it should be a law that all guitar gear should be bought from local shops rather than crappy chain stores.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Do not buy any Elixir strings. They always seem to break within a week or two of putting them on. All the customers at the local guitar shop have the same problem with them. I prefer DR Strings, or Dean Markley Blue Steel.
eh, your strings aren't really going to give you a decidedly country or bluesy or rock or metal or anything else tone. that is more determined by the guitar itself and your playing style.
I personally hate Elixir strings. They keep the new string sound for too long and in my experience, they're too slick.

I've been using ClearTone EMPs and they definitely due keep for a long time but I'm thinking about trying out the Martin SPs.
Quote by captivate
For those of you who don't know about me and my hands... My sweat is VERY acidic. I corrode through strings like no tomorrow.

Takamine EG341SC
Godin Freeway Classic -> Boss TU-2 -> Fulltone OCD -> MXR M173 -> Boss RC-20XL -> Traynor YCV50 Blue
I like my d'addarios
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
martin makes great acoustic strings, i've been using elixir strings for the past few pairs and they really arent worth the extra money, you can get 2-3 packs of martin strings for the same price of one set of elixirs, i like the sound of the martins better too, just got a few packs of elixirs for christmas and havent gotten through them yet. They dont last that much longer either, and they dont feel the same, i'm really not impressed by them, yeah they dont get "dirty" but the sound isnt that great, they stay new sounding for like 2-3 weeks and then completely die, while martins have a really annoying new sound for like a few days, but then get that warm sound that you love and keep it.
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
I find the cheaper D'Addarios sound good for the first few days then die off. Now my classical guitar sounds muffled. Time for a string change I guess. I use mediums on it.

I find Martin SPs and D'Addario EXPs to be way to bright and trebly for me. I'm still waiting for that 'warm' sound to come along. To the person who stated he liked bright and trebly guitars, want to buy mine? ;].

Elixirs are expensive and confusing. What are polywebs and nanowebs? Sounds too Marvel for me.

I've never seen DMs before. Any thoughts on their Gold Bronze Alchemy strings? Someone here recommended them to tame my tinny sounding Takamine.

I heard Martin Clapton's Choice are bright instead of 'warm'. Phosphor bronze again right? I'm trying to avoid them. Any other thoughts?
Well...I kind of like the bright sound of Takamines. I don't really consider it "tinny" though.

Anyway, that being said, here's a link to D'Addario's website. They have a meter for brightness on their strings.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I've seen that and they weren't kidding about the brightness of the phosphor bronzes but aren't regular bronzes supposed to be mellower?

I'm also thinking of putting Silk and Steels on it in the future to try and tame it but I've never seen it either.

What about flat-wound strings?
Well, I just use phosphor bronze strings because I like the bright, chimey (not tinny! tinny is bad!) tone I get out of my Tak with them.

There's a link to something like an ultimate string review thread in one of the stickies
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
d'addarios lights (phosphor bronze I think are the ones I use)
Last edited by Gilpet at Jan 27, 2009,