I only know two scales, Blues and Minor Pentatonic, and I figure I should learn more.

What scales should I learn, and where can I find the "tabs" for these scales?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
You don't learn scales from tabs, you learn scales by, well, learining scales...learn the notes and intervals of a scale then locate it on the fretboard, if you don't know the notes on the fretboard then you need to learn those first.

As far as what to learn goes you need to start with the major scale, everything else refers back to it - have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Learn how scales are constructed and learn the major scale fingering all over the neck. Because then you can just use the major scale to build your other scales. Then you'll end up developing your own fingerings for them.

Try and learn where notes repeat on the neck too so you can play the same scale all over. I know people say don't "memorise the fretboard" but it's something you sort of have to do and it'll start happening naturally. I almost know what notes all the dotted frets correspond to.
Quote by steven seagull
You don't learn scales from tabs, you learn scales by, well, learining scales...learn the notes and intervals of a scale then locate it on the fretboard, if you don't know the notes on the fretboard then you need to learn those first.

As far as what to learn goes you need to start with the major scale, everything else refers back to it - have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.
One question. Wouldn't it be helpful to look at the tab while learning the notes? What i'm still doing is constructing the scale in my mind with the whole half step method (still learning the circle of fifths and intervals part) and i try to spread the scale differently throught the strings but run into octaves. (still practicing remembering the notes on the high strings at 5th fret +)

and yeah TS http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html this helped me a bit and i'm still learning, quite fun.

Edited: Doh there's a scale tab in lessons i could use to practice with.
Last edited by Mix Master at Jan 27, 2009,