I use my acoustic for 2 things. Blues, and playing rhythm. By blues I mean anything by John Lee Hooker, BB King, Clapton, etc. And by rhythm I mean playing a bunch of chords (any song basically).

I currently have a mansfield guitar my uncle bought me when I first started learning guitar. I put fender acoustic strings on it about a year ago. It's not a bad guitar at all, except it doesn't have a cutaway and the B and e strings are not pleasant to play. They are really shrill, almost sharp compared to the rest of the strings. It could be any number of things, but it's a pain, especially when trying to play a blues melody.

I've decided to get a new acoustic because my uncle wants this one back, so I've come to you guys for advice on what to get.

I'm tempted to go real high end and get a Fender or Gibson but I'm also not willing to pay much more than a grand. Still, I'm open to advice. I need a guitar with a cutaway, a pickup, and really good tone throughout (especially on the B and e strings). If such a guitar exists, let me know and I'll gladly go test it out at my local store.

I'm more partial to Fenders than Gibsons as I play a strat with the band. No real reason, it was cheaper than a Les Paul and sounded about as good, so I've branded myself a Fender man.
try out some acoustics at a shop, and tell them what you're looking for and hope that they are helpful.

you might consider getting a 2nd hand acoustic - i bought one a few months ago and i love it. you can get a really good 2nd hand guitar for a lot less than its RRP, which could make the difference if you don't wanna spend more than a grand on one.

i wouldn't restrict myself to one particular brand - try others and see what you like. if you like the sound and feel, and you're happy with the build quality, does it really matter what brand it is?

as for strings, i recently put Martin light gauge on my acoustic and i like them a lot better than the D'Addarios i was using; the Martins sound warmer and not so shrill. this depends on the guitar you get, though - for example, my guitar has a naturally big sound, so bright sounding strings tend to make the sound a bit mushy if you're not careful. you'll just have to experiment with strings once you have your new guitar.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Try looking for at the Taylor 100 and 200 line, great guitars for the money.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Quote by FMNStratGuy
Try looking for at the Taylor 100 and 200 line, great guitars for the money.

I'll disagree with you on this one. The 100 and 200 series Taylors are good guitars, yes. But they're overpriced by quite a bit, imo. I think you could do better for an even lower price.

Some brands to look into would be Takamine, Epiphone's Masterbilt series, Guild GAD series, Seagull Performer and Martime series, and Alvarez's MD line of guitars. The MD90 should be within your range of <$1000.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Well, first of all, unlike the electric world, Fender and Gibson are not considered the supreme overlords of the acoustic world. Those would be Martin and Taylor.

As far as suggestions for guitars go.....just listen to captivate. He mentioned everything I would have suggested, except for Washburn.

Oh, and I would suggest having an open mind to buying used. Doing so will give you a wider range of guitars, and some nicer guitars to choose from.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Thanks for the replies, I'll probably post back after I've had a chance to browse my local store.

I'm a fan of used guitars, of course, but living in Canada means that the lack of humidity in winter could have easily ruined guitars that weren't taken care of well. Not everyone takes care of their guitars as well as we do.

But I will keep and open mind about it and play test some at the very least.
Quote by Rykoshet
Thanks for the replies, I'll probably post back after I've had a chance to browse my local store.

I'm a fan of used guitars, of course, but living in Canada means that the lack of humidity in winter could have easily ruined guitars that weren't taken care of well. Not everyone takes care of their guitars as well as we do.

But I will keep and open mind about it and play test some at the very least.

Where abouts in Canada do you live?
Equipment:

Sweet! haha. Yeah, you need to be careful of buying used guitars. Even my Martin when I bought it new had a little bit of a dip in it caused by low humidity. It's not a problem because I keep it at the right humidity, but it's just something to watch out for.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
I'll disagree with you on this one. The 100 and 200 series Taylors are good guitars, yes. But they're overpriced by quite a bit, imo. I think you could do better for an even lower price.

Some brands to look into would be Takamine, Epiphone's Masterbilt series, Guild GAD series, Seagull Performer and Martime series, and Alvarez's MD line of guitars. The MD90 should be within your range of <$1000.

Your absolutely correct, the Takamine's sound great as well as the Masterbuilts, I just happen to own a 200 series and I gave the best suggestion from my own experience.

Side Note: How well is that pickup system working in your Martin?
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
^ The LR Baggs M1? It's quite nice. The sound is quite realistic to the actual sound of my guitar through a PA. It's also extremely sensitive. If I'm wearing a buttoned shirt and tap my guitar against it, you'll hear it through the PA. All in all, I'm very satisfied with it. I'm probably going to get a transducer system next time though. Can't replicate that nice thud that they give with the M1.
Equipment:

i have a takamine EG544SC that is awesome. it has a cutaway, pickups, onboard eq and tuner. the tone is mind blowing. the cedar top and koa sides and back are gorgeous. you know this is a top of the line instrument because glenn frye played it at the last eagles concert. my aunt was third row center stage and she recognized it and got me a pic. i mean glenn frye dude, the freakin eagles and in front of like 15000 people.
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
Quote by uncboy19
i have a takamine EG544SC that is awesome. it has a cutaway, pickups, onboard eq and tuner. the tone is mind blowing. the cedar top and koa sides and back are gorgeous. you know this is a top of the line instrument because glenn frye played it at the last eagles concert. my aunt was third row center stage and she recognized it and got me a pic. i mean glenn frye dude, the freakin eagles and in front of like 15000 people.

I love that guitar. I played it at GC once

Couldn't believe it was one of the G Series guitars. It could have easily been one of the more expensive ones.

Now.....about the Glenn Frye thing.....I find that kind of hard to believe when the man has his own signature guitar. <---That's a link by the way. I didn't underline for emphasis

<_<

>_>

<_<

It looks really nice.......
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jan 26, 2009,