ok... my 2nd guitar is a hard tail and i put a set of 11's on it cuz i usually tune it to DGCFAD one whole step down...

now my question is ... can i tune this to a regular Drop D tuning if i wanted or will it hurt my guitar ????

it's an Ibanez RG series btw!

Thanks for any help!
GETCHA PULL MUTHAFUKA!!
i dont think so
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
i have my sg with .11s on it tuned in standard. you should b fine, might have to adjust the truss to deal with the extra tension but i doubt it would b a problem
just let it acclimatize for 15 minutes or so, just to be on the safe side
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
I use exclusively light-top, heavy-bottom strings (like .10-.52) for my Schecter, which is always in drop D or drop C. I use regular strings (usually .10-.46) for the LP, which is in standard or Eb tunings.
EDIT: however, both types can be used for either type of tuning.
Quote by gudinge
Wasn't there a thread about this like yesterday?
Quote by ivan_2894
This guy knows what he's talking about
(Ab)using:
* Ibanez PF5 acoustic * Gibson '08 LP Classic * Schecter Damien FR *
* Marshall JCM 2k DSL401 *
* Boss OS-2 * Boss DD-7 *

Eyes on Wah & SD pups
Last edited by tickler444 at Jan 25, 2009,
If you are going to be switching back and forth between "D" and "Drop D", I would advise going with something like a 10 through 52 set. You won't get as much change in the action or tension that way. It's not usually recommended not to go more than a half step either way with large gauge strings. Not so much for the guitar, but playability and comfort. I use 10 - 48 Standard, Drop D and Half step down and 10 - 52 half step down, whole step and Drop C.

Both guitars are SGs and play exactly the same as far as action, tension and tone.

A 10 will go from 16.2 lbs at E to 12.9 lbs. at D.
An 11 will go from 19.6 lbs. at E to 15.6 at D.

A 48 will go from 18.9 lbs. at E to 15.0 lbs. at D.
A 52 will go from 22.0 lbs. at E to 17.4 lbs. at D.

I recommend a tension that keeps you as close as being between 15 an 19.5 lb.s from High to Low.

Wound and unwound strings react to changes in tension differently. Unwound strings are more forgiving, allowing you to use the same gauge for several different tunings. Wound strings are a little more picky, they sweep very quickly from floppy to tight in just a few semi tones. As well as the size of the lower strings, the actual note comes into play. Lower notes require the string to travel in a larger arc to produce the note; that's where the problems start; your action will go down as you lower your tuning, but the string wants more room at the same time, to produce the lower notes.

There is plenty of info on the internet to help - good luck!
Last edited by tahwnikcufos at Jan 27, 2009,