Ok, so i want to learn this song really bad, but there's a problem with the arpeggios, i know they aren't sweeped, but hoy do i alternate pick something like this:
Q=130

|----------------8-12-8--------------|------------------------------------|
|-------------10--------10-----------|---------------9-12p9---------------|
|---------5-9--------------9-5-------|-----------7-9--------9p7-----------|
|-------7----------------------7-----|-------6-9----------------9-6-------|
|-----7------------------------------|---5-7------------------------7-5---|
|-5h8----------------------------5h8-|-7----------------------------------|

|--------------------------------------|
|-----------------8-10-8---------------|
|---------------9--------9-------------|
|----------7-11------------11-7--------|
|-----7-10----------------------10-7---|
|-5-9--------------------------------9-|

|------------------10-13-10------------------|
|---------------10----------10---------------|
|----------7-10----------------10-7----------|
|--------7--------------------------7--------|
|------8------------------------------8------|
|-5h10----------------------------------10---|

For example at the first part, when you play 5h8 on E and then go 7 on A and D, do i economy pick it or do upstrokes and downstrokes in every string? (It would be very similar to this warm up exercise in John Petrucci's Rock Discipline). Also, is there an alternate way to play that?
Quote by MuffinBrain
hoy do i alternate pick something like this:

Do just that, alternate pick.

Quote by MuffinBrain
For example at the first part, when you play 5h8 on E and then go 7 on A and D, do i economy pick it or do upstrokes and downstrokes in every string? Also, is there an alternate way to play that?

Do what you feel most comfortable with. I alternate pick ETB when I play it. Vai probably does too.

If you economy pick these arps, you'll pretty much be sweeping anyway.

I wouldn't hammer 5h8 on the bottom E as it'll throw your alt picking rhythm off right from the very beginning.
Last edited by mdc at Jan 25, 2009,
Side note - Vai recorded this picked at a slower tempo and then had it sped up afterwards.

And you certainly can alternate pick stuff like that, just takes practice - feel free to pick it how you will as goes little legato touches, etc. Sweep it if you want.
Quote by Freepower
Side note - Vai recorded this picked at a slower tempo and then had it sped up afterwards.

Source?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
I got a recording of it on my profile 100% Alternate picked ( A bit slower then the original, to keep the dynamics better). And 100% clean tone, so it's less responsive. Can play it up to speed with overdrive/distortion, but Imo tone is nicer when clean.

Then again, I didn't know what sweeping was, so I used to alternate pick "sweep shapes", ending up with almost effortless technique in alternate picking through string skipping and multiple strings.

It's just practice really.

Al Di Meola is the alternate picking master. He can alternate pick "sweep patterns" with sickly ease, and string skipping faster then anything. All this on acoustic guitar, which is harder (clean tone is less responsive then a gain tone, so to keep it dynamics while playing fast is harder, yet it seems he has no problems with it).

Lesson of him in alternate picking;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkqWn-MLGQ0&feature=related

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 25, 2009,
Ok, but how do i alternate pick it? it would be something like E: upstroke downstroke then A: upstroke then D: downstroke G: upstroke downstroke, something like that?
Quote by MuffinBrain
Ok, but how do i alternate pick it? it would be something like E: upstroke downstroke then A: upstroke then D: downstroke G: upstroke downstroke, something like that?

yes

down/up/down/up etc. etc.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
yes

down/up/down/up etc. etc.

thank's, ill give a try, hope it's not too hard for me, i've been playing for 9 months , i just wanna test my abilities as i've been doing frank gambale's alternate picking exercises
The sheet I have for that song has fingerings I wouldn't have thought of, but they seem to work:
|-------------------8-12-8----------------|----------------------------------------------|
|---------------10---------10-------------|------=-----------9-12p9-------------------|
|-----------5s9---------------9s5---------|----=-------7-9----------9p7-------------|
|---------7-------------------------7------|--------6-9---------------------9-6----------|
|------7-----------------------------------|---5-7-------------------------------7-5-------|
|-5h8-------------------------------5h8-|-7-------------------------------------------|
1 4 2 3 1 1 2 1 4 1 2 1 1 3 1 4 | 3 1 3 1 3 1 3 2 4 2 3 1 3 1 3 1
Quote by Freepower

Just the arps at the beginning, or the whole thing?
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Al Di Meola is the alternate picking master.

Another guy who really is sh1t hot at alt picking on an acoustic is Lee Ritenour.

Don't hear too much of him here on UG, not even in the other forums here. If anyone has come across a thread here let me know!
Last edited by mdc at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by Freepower
Just the arps.

My vast collection of guitar trivia. Unfortunately, it seems my brain didn't remember where I read it.

I can't remember where, but there was something about the tuning of the notes is too high or something, implying it had been sped it. It went for the picking too.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.