I've converted my TS9 to a TS808 and it sounds better than it did, imo. But that mid hump is just so annoying. I'm also looking for a mod to increase the gain a little bit. So how would I make it more transparent and increase the gain?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

the silver mod from Analogman cuts down the mid hump a little bit. or you could try the keeley baked mod. 2x more gain.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Swap your stock op-amp for a Burr Brown (OPA2134). They are really high fi opamps, cost $3.50 each but totally worth it. Makes the pedal so clear and dynamic sounding. Also cuts down on noise.

In your first op-amp feedback loop...see that resistor, cap in series going from the clipping loop to Vref? This is what really defines the sound. Stock the you will have a 47nF cap and a 4K7 resistor.

Increase the cap to 100nF for a fuller less middy sound. For a fat boost you could have a 330nF cap there.

Depending on my much gain you want change that resistor from 4K7 - 2K7. The lower you go the more gain you will get and the nosier the pedal will be. Imo the Tube Screamer should not be used for high gain stuff, I don't push the drive control hard when it's stock! I would try 3K9 first, that will give you a bit more grit and gain. If that's not enough try lowering the resistor to 3K3 or 3K.
Quote by Jhachey22
the silver mod from Analogman cuts down the mid hump a little bit. or you could try the keeley baked mod. 2x more gain.

Better to learn how this basic circuit works and make a few simple cheap changes yourself, imo. These inverting opamp clipping circuits are all the same, once you know your way around one you know them all.

I would rather do that then send out big bucks to those guys.
Quote by Jhachey22

Where can I find what Keeley does for the baked mod? I've googled it but all I came up with was places selling it.

Thanks Kurtlives. When you say a "fuller" sound but less middy what do you mean by that? Do you think I could swap the cap for a 100nf but then wire it up to a SPDT switch with a 330nF cap so I could turn the fat boost on or off?

If I increase the gain how could I cut down on noise? I wasn't looking to push it for high gain stuff, I just needed a little more dirt.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Of course you could have a switch to select between caps. Many commercial pedals have just this.

By increasing the cap you sound is less mid peaked, frequency response is more even. Try it yourself, you'll see.

If you need just a bit more gain you could make the changes like I suggested. If your just increasing the gain a bit noise wont be too bad. What do you expect though, increasing gain adds more noise, just something that happens. A good quality op-amp will cut down on noise though like I said. You could do lots of fancy little **** to reduce noise but I don't think its worth it. This is a Tube Screamer not some thrash pedal.

Keeley and Analog Man are doing exactly what I am telling you. Ya they do a few little other things that aren't all that important but generally they are doing the same stuff as I told ya.
Sweet thanks alot. I'm going to get right on those today.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.