There are the simple power chords which vocalists play and sing at the same time but then you get vocalists who do more than the chords.

Matt Heafy, Matt Tuck, Alexi Laiho and Muhammed Suicmez are examples of what I'm on about. These musicians can play complex riffs and sing at the same time which amazes me. I'm becoming the vocalist + lead guitar of my metalcore band which plays fast/complex riffs and I'm just wondering are there any special techniques these guys use to be able to do so?

Thanks
Last edited by reverend_jake at Jan 25, 2009,
id say there are some techniques but id say for the most part its just repetition. know your songs like the back of your hand and practice them over and over.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

practice, practice, practice.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
You must learn your guitar part perfectly, I mean, until you can play it without thinking ( ****load of pratice )
after that, start to play it while humming the lyric. Only humming.
then after, start to sing only the first line, and humming the rest
at each repetition, you add one line that you sing instead of humming
give it a try, it worked pretty well for my friend
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Ah ok; but do they do anything special while practicing? :P

Something I've came up with (I dunno if it works) is try play the riffs sub-consciously and say read some text on the net while practicing the riff.

A song I'm trying to do vocals + lead guitar (cover) is Darkest Nights by As I Lay Dying... It's the first riff which kills me.

Edit:

Quote by bender424
You must learn your guitar part perfectly, I mean, until you can play it without thinking ( ****load of pratice )

Didn't see your message; thanks a lot I will try it out then!
Last edited by reverend_jake at Jan 25, 2009,
those players are able to do all that from days of practise oo i guess even more
Try thomas erak and claudio sanchez who can play like hell over singing and screaming.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Quote by metal4ever6328
I can sing over 5 string arpeggios easily, its when the riff has an odd syncopation that I get confuddled.

Yeah that's what I find really hard as well. For instance The Darkest Nights by As I lay Dying I can do vocals over all riffs (including the main chorus riff), it's just the first riff which has an odd rhythm to it I can't get the hang of with vocals.
like some guy said in here, you have to practice until you don't really think about what your hands are doing.
A fool is not one who makes a mistake, a fool is one who does not learn from it.
-me HAH!
Quote by reverend_jake
There are the simple power chords which vocalists play and sing at the same time but then you get vocalists who do more than the chords.

Matt Heafy, Matt Tuck, Alexi Laiho and Muhammed Suicmez are examples of what I'm on about. These musicians can play complex riffs and sing at the same time which amazes me. I'm becoming the vocalist + lead guitar of my metalcore band which plays fast/complex riffs and I'm just wondering are there any special techniques these guys use to be able to do so?

Thanks

practice really. some people can do it more naturally. everyone is different though. some people are stronger than others. but does that mean that you cant be an athlete if you arent like them? no not at all. you just need to train. and some need more training than others.

so just keep working at it. try and do it more often. its important to have the guitar part down really well. i find for me if there is a song that have the vocals and guitar in different confilicting timings, then i just really try to focus on what the two parts together sound like. like where does this certain guitar part overlap this word and stuff like that. then i just try to think of my playing as someone else playing for me. i find that kinda helps too.
Obviously you have to learn the guitar part spot-on.. like as in REALLY well.. and since you mentioned Alexi Laiho, try learning to sing and play the lead guitar part at the same time.. it will give you something to work on. I've found that the best way to do that kind of stuff is to just try and find a link in the pattern between the rhythm of the vocal line, and the rhythm of the guitar line, and try and (as weird as it may sound) put the vocals.. into the guitar melody. The thing is, the screaming is monophonic, single line melody, so that when screaming is used over a lead guitar part, the lead guitar acts as a melody for the monphonic screaming. As the guy above me said, find out where a certain word overlaps a certain note. Play it all along to the track until you can do it, but it can require alot of patience.
Quote by bender424

This and alexi is a godly FIn thats why he makes it look so easy.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Im so wierd with this

I can sing while playing the epic solo to This Godless Endeavor
but I cant with the simplest power chord progression
i hate my voice anyway. but i can only sing and play if its something original.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.