HI, im looking for a new amp in the $400-500 price range. I play mostly classic rock. It would have to be loud enough to be heard over a drummer and easily transported by foot across the street. Small gig ability would be nice also.

Here is what ive been looking at:
Peavey Vypyr 100w
Line 6 spider III 120w
Raven RG 200w
You can get WAY better amps for that price if you are willing to go used.

Check out some Classic 30's, and maybe some Blues Juniors. Do you have any pedals?
soo many choices dude but for your price i suggest these babies
Fender Blues Jr.
Peavey Classic 30.
Blackheart Handsome devil (combo or head)

or some used vox on ebay
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by Highwaytohell
can you give us your location? than we can find you some **** on craigslist

New Jersey
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
I'm not so sure it's that simple. The amps that have been mentioned as alternatives are good amps but possibly not for the style of music he wants as the possibilities he's mentioned seem to be more Metal amps. As I'm in the UK, can you give me a link to an online store you could use and then I'll no any ideas I have are actually in your price range.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
yeah, look around on your local craigslist for a decent tube combo, like the mentioned peavey classic 30, a crate v-series or palomino, fender blues jr, or a crate vintage club. if you want to go new, check out blackheart amps and the epiphone valve jr
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by Doadman
I'm not so sure it's that simple. The amps that have been mentioned as alternatives are good amps but possibly not for the style of music he wants as the possibilities he's mentioned seem to be more Metal amps. As I'm in the UK, can you give me a link to an online store you could use and then I'll no any ideas I have are actually in your price range.

Agreed, guitarcenter.com or musiciansfriend.com (same company)

I got a blues jr. and absoulutely love it. If you dont want to go down that path, look at like a vox. Don't get a Marshall SS combo just because of the name, it really is a horrible amp. Most modeling amps will be okay but will be hard to gig with with using mics.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Vox AD50VT-XL.
It plays ANYTHING.

EDIT: ...with some gain.
Originally Posted by Demon Wolf
one dream of mine is to play baroque and roll.

i dont quite know what it is, but i assume it involves plenty of harpsichord solos and medieval chanting.

Quote by alfonzo99
Vox AD50VT-XL.
It plays ANYTHING.

EDIT: ...with some gain.

He can do SO much better for the price, and the XL line isn't that great. And Vox said it was specifically made for metal players who wanted more gain from the Valvetronix. He plays classic rock.

TS: Just thought of another amp that would probably be good for you, a used Vox AC15. They are $600 new, so used they would probably be in your price range if you could find a good deal on one. If you need more distortion than that, just save up for an overdrive like the Tubescreamer, or something like that so that you can use it as a boost.

Good luck!
thanks a lot this helped a whole lot =]

Thanks for the links and here's some ideas:

Peavey Valve King = $419.99
A decent enough tube amp that will take upgrades well on the valves and speaker.

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w = $449.99
A tube amp with all the versatility of a modeller. Expect it to be similar to the Spider Valve only much better quality amp models. This could be a great buy for you as it should do a range of styles well. Personally I'd have this before any Valve King and I think you'd be better off with this than the 100w solid state version you mentioned above. Clearly the Vypyr appeals to you and they are excellent but there is simply no reason to get the solid state 100w when you can get the tube version, which will probably produce a much better tone.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
i hadn't noticed they had a tube version, looks very interesting thanks