Hello folks...

I'm 28 years old (unfortunately.. I think its harder to learn the older you are!) and I suddenly have enough spare time that I think im going to finally pursue my lifetime desire to learn to play guitar and just maybe even learn to sing!

I'd love any advice you can give.. starting with what to buy (used preferably) to learn on....

I definitely want electric, not acoustic.

I'm planning to try learning via DVD.. but there is also a good music "school" just a couple miles away.

I'm quite un-coordinated.... so this may be a total failure.. but I'm determined to try.. I definitely have enough time for it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ray

Hello and welcome to UG, Ray!
Any Guitar-related questions should go here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

But since you're here, I'll help you out.

You'll want to buy a relatively cheap guitar that suits your playing style. Comfort is extremely important.
You're not going to get a perfect sound out of your first guitar, but they're for learning.

Make sure you have the neccesary accesories. i.e, picks, capo, chromatic tuner, etc.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Yeh, just buy a cheap guitar, like a Squire Strat. You can usually buy a pack and you get an amp etc with it.

Make sure your guitar is in tune before each time you play it, don't mean to sound condescending but, being a noob, you probably won't notice if it's out of tune.

As for actually learning to play, a lot of people will just sit and learn all the basic chords first, which I think is why a lot of people give up. I just used tabs to learn songs, and just learnt the specific chords for that song.
Fender US Standard Strat '07
Epiphone Les Paul '94
Marshall MG100FX
Dunlop Cry Baby
Boss ME-70
Boss TU-2