in order to save myself from a lot of hassle and spending even more money i dont have on a 7 string, is there any way i can just pop a 7string pack on my 6er (so i wouldnt have the high e string), and be able to effectively play them without the fear of warping my neck or damaging my guitar in any way?
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
would be easier just to buy some standard set heavy gauge strings and tune it down to B standard imo
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Shredx
would be easier just to buy some standard set heavy gauge strings and tune it down to B standard imo

This

You dont know how much harder it is to get hold of 7-string sets... at least where i live anyway
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Uh...no. Your neck tension isn't set for that. Neither is your intonation...or your bridge. It won't hurt anything except the ears of everyone in a ten mile radius. Don't be cheap.

No... not quite

If he uses heavier strings but is tuning down to B then tension should be fairly consistent, he might have to tweak the bridge tension a little bit but then most string changes seem to warrant this anyway. Only thing i can think of is slight intonation and action adjustments
Quote by Shred Head

Quote by StrayCatBlues

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
i had a buddy who used to use 7 string packs.
couldnt tell you if it warped his gear or not. but i know he used it to help him tune super low.
well you could do it, but you'll have to get your neck readjusted and a bunch of other stuff witll need to be fixxed on your guitar in order for 7 string strings to fit your guitar, a better bet is to get really thick 6 string strings you'll still have to adjustyour tension or hatever but it will feel like you in standard tuning tension ulike droping all that way down. or you could just buy a new guitar buy selling your old one
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
They should be fine, as long as you're detuning in accordance with the gauge being used. Some minor adjustments will need to be made, like action, pickup height etc, but apart from that you should be fine.

Bear in mind you will have a wound G string, making soloing a little bit harder. If that's not your thing then i would recommend a standard set of 12's/13's for somewhere around B standard tuning.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Right...heavier strings, not 7 string strings. There's a difference. One is a good idea, the other is not.

Fail

Ive tuned to B standard on a 6 string before using a spare 7 string set. It worked (and just to mention i prefer the feel of wound strings so the G wasnt a problem) and barely any adjustments needed.

Using the bottom 6 strings of a 7 strings set is pretty much like using any 6 string set that has its heaviest guage in the 50s, i dont see what the problem is.
Quote by Shred Head

Quote by StrayCatBlues

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
Quote by chimpinatux
Fail

Ive tuned to B standard on a 6 string before using a spare 7 string set. It worked (and just to mention i prefer the feel of wound strings so the G wasnt a problem) and barely any adjustments needed.

Using the bottom 6 strings of a 7 strings set is pretty much like using any 6 string set that has its heaviest guage in the 50s, i dont see what the problem is.

Well said
Quote by theoreticmusic
Right...heavier strings, not 7 string strings. There's a difference. One is a good idea, the other is not.

My god you are dumb!
The tension will still be about the same as if you were tuned in E with say a .46-set.
¯|(°_o)/¯
So lets have a look at this:

Chucking away the spare 10 there.... can anybody see any difference?

Also, who cares if there need to be minor adjustments, it will work. IT will not screw up the neck. There is no need to fiddle wityh the truss rod or anything
Quote by Shred Head

Quote by StrayCatBlues

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
Last edited by chimpinatux at Jan 25, 2009,
yea i guess it would of helped before that i play in drop-B 95% of the time
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Quote by chimpinatux
So lets have a look at this:

Chucking away the spare 10 there.... can anybody see any difference?

Also, who cares if there need to be minor adjustments, it will work. IT will not screw up the neck. There is no need to fiddle wityh the truss rod or anything

Thank you for clarifying my point!
¯|(°_o)/¯
Yes, I'm dumb. I was arguing something completely different....in my mind (for some reason) I was thinking .10-.46, not .13-.56. Of course the latter is the same thing.

You're all right, and I feel like an idiot for not thinking that through.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.