I'm writing a report on some scales and need to know the name of this one:

A A# C# D F

One example of this being used is in All Nightmare Long by Metallica.

What sort of scale is this?

Thanks guys!
well thats only part of it....

by the looks of things youve given us part of the d harmonic minor
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe
LTD EX-400BD
LTD EC-1000
LTD V-500
Zoom 707II Pedal
Vox Satchurator Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Slash
Marshall MG100DFX...
^Yes, same notes as D harmonic minor, but knowing Metallica and with the order of the notes, I guess it would be the A phrgian dominant mode, which comes from D harmonic minor. This gives you theses notes:

A Bb C# D E F G

Yes, not A# but Bb
There's not enough notes to tell - what are the chords of the song?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by zObiPhiOn
^Yes, same notes as D harmonic minor, but knowing Metallica and with the order of the notes, I guess it would be the A phrgian dominant mode, which comes from D harmonic minor. This gives you theses notes:

A Bb C# D E F G

Yes, not A# but Bb

ah yeah because the relative major to d minor is f, which would make it a Bb....

also i agree about the metallica thing, like most heavy metal music they use a lot of modes
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe
LTD EX-400BD
LTD EC-1000
LTD V-500
Zoom 707II Pedal
Vox Satchurator Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Slash
Marshall MG100DFX...
Quote by zObiPhiOn

A Bb C# D E F G

Yes, not A# but Bb

Ah, I think this is right. Thanks very much! As you can probably tell, I've only really began with the theory of scales. Does anyone recommend a good site to help? I try those ones which show the fretboards but I just get confused . A site which goes through with you how you work them out etc.?

Cheers guys
Last edited by acidicerock at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by Nothing's_Free
ah yeah because the relative major to d minor is f, which would make it a Bb....

also i agree about the metallica thing, like most heavy metal music they use a lot of modes

Really it's because you're supposed to use ever letter name and use each one once, if you can.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Quote by acidicerock
Ah, I think this is right. Thanks very much! As you can probably tell, I've only really began with the theory of scales. Does anyone recommend a good site to help? I try those ones which show the fretboards but I just get confused . A site which goes through with you how you work them out etc.?

Cheers guys

Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section, they cover the stuff you're looking for.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com