Hi,

I have a serious problem with choosing an amp that will be mostly used to play black/gothic metal. In order to use it at home and some stage performances (I suppose ~50 wats should be ok). In case of not efficient drive channel or lack of it I could use distortion pedals (so if it occurs please reccomend the right ones becouse some pedals works better with certain amps).

My price limit for this purpose is about 450-500$.

My other questions are: How to set EQ to reach a black metal sound (bands like Vlad Tepes or Darkthrone). Which distortion/boost/overdrive pedals or preamps are most common in black metal?
UMmmm...... you will not find a good BRUTAL amp with your price range
the decent ones start at about $1000

but the new 6505+ 1x12 combo will come out late may-early august and it can do brutal metal easily.

Eq settings
ummmm 0 mids?? full bass,treble @4 o' clock ???
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

ummmm 0 mids?? full bass,treble @4 o' clock ???

Do you even know what black metal is?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8bt62d1LPxY

TS, in all honesty, BM isn't really a genre in which you need a good tone. All you need to remember is that the treble should basically be maxed out, if you're after the classic raw tone.
Last edited by webbtje at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by webbtje
Do you even know what black metal is?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8bt62d1LPxY

TS, in all honesty, BM isn't really a genre in which you need a good tone. All you need to remember is that the treble should basically be maxed out, if you're after the classic raw tone.

NO...... cuz i dont like the C00kie M0nstr metal.
feel free to add me
Peavy amps are quite regular in the black metal scene
Alot of bands I know use them, so does abbath
Mesa/boogie might have something
When I play black metal I play through a line 6 (Ihsahn is endorsed by them) but if I was to take it seriously would probs use a peavy

Distortion pedals depend on what tone your after (Same as amp)
Euronymous used to use a tube screamer and some other metal pedal to get his tone.
Your best bet for distortion is to go and test some out yourself, go see some local black metal bands and see what equipment they use to try and get ideas.
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'd call you a crazy Brit, but your username seems to quite assure your sanity.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Epic username of pure epicness

To: Jesus=ConArtist
Quote by Jesus=ConArtist
Peavy amps are quite regular in the black metal scene
Alot of bands I know use them, so does abbath
Mesa/boogie might have something
When I play black metal I play through a line 6 (Ihsahn is endorsed by them) but if I was to take it seriously would probs use a peavy

Distortion pedals depend on what tone your after (Same as amp)
Euronymous used to use a tube screamer and some other metal pedal to get his tone.
Your best bet for distortion is to go and test some out yourself, go see some local black metal bands and see what equipment they use to try and get ideas.

I hope you dont play a spider III because that wouldnt sound too good.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
NO...... cuz i dont like the C00kie M0nstr metal.

If that sounds like the cookie monster to you, you need your ears syringed.

Regardless, if you don't know the genre that's being asked for, I don't know why you even bothered answering. If you're going to generalize and call it 'C00kie M0nstr metal', then how the fuck are you qualified to recommend anything?
Quote by John5rules125
I hope you dont play a spider III because that wouldnt sound too good.

I could see some black metal guitarists considering that as a positive lol
I'm not one of them

EDIT: Thanks to the guy above, Been wondering what amp he used for a while now just never got around to finding out, you saved me the effort

Dark Funeral own
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'd call you a crazy Brit, but your username seems to quite assure your sanity.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Epic username of pure epicness

To: Jesus=ConArtist
Last edited by Jesus=ConArtist at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by webbtje
If that sounds like the cookie monster to you, you need your ears syringed.

Regardless, if you don't know the genre that's being asked for, I don't know why you even bothered answering. If you're going to generalize and call it 'C00kie M0nstr metal', then how the fuck are you qualified to recommend anything?

im joking god dammit.
im more of a classic rock, hard rock,thrash and metal core kinda guy.
and i dont like anything that comes heavier than BFMV.
and i have experienced different kinds of amps in my 2 years of playing guitar and from my experience with a 6505+ i know that they can go higher gain than metalcore and can easily reach the heaviness of Black metal.

and what i mean about cookie monster metal is the lyrics i cant understand anything they say, the singing or growling is harder to understand than a screamo singer screaming a screamo song.
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
im joking god dammit.
im more of a classic rock, hard rock,thrash and metal core kinda guy.
and i dont like anything that comes heavier than BMFV.
and i have experienced different kinds of amps in my 2 years of playing guitar and from my experience with a 6505+ i know that they can go higher gain than metalcore and can easily reach the heaviness of Black metal.

and what i mean about cookie monster metal is the lyrics i cant understand anything they say, the singing or growling is harder to understand than a screamo singer screaming a screamo song.

BMFV? Shouldnt it be BFMV?
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by John5rules125
BMFV? Shouldnt it be BFMV?

fixed
feel free to add me
Seriously, Digitech Death metal, full mids, no bass/treble into any amp. Its the only thing this pedal is good for.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by webbtje
Makes a good paperweight.

I just tried that, it gave my desk a bad tone
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
My personal favorite settings for BM on my Line6:

Channel: Metal or Insane
Drive: 8-10
Bass: 9-10
Mid: 2-3
Treble: 7-8
Reverb: 2-3

From my guitar I turn up the tone just a little bit and turn the switch down.