So i recently bought a pretty nice les paul for 5 bucks from a friend of mine. It's black with creme binding all around the body and neck. The neck is bolt on, and the headstock ressembles the shape of a gibson guitar. The body is also solid mahogany, and the neck is maple with rosewood fingerboard.

The only problem is that on the headstock, and also anywhere on the body,. there is no name of the brand nor the model. The only hint is that the truss rod cover says "custom"

My friend believes it could be the ibanez les paul copy from the 70s prior to the lawsuit (does anyone remember that??)

here's some pics that maybe could help anyone help me figure out what guitar i have!

Edit: The bridge is missing in the pictures because when i got the guitar, my friend sold me the bridge without the saddles which made no sense so i just took it off.
Last edited by BH7697 at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by BH7697

did someone bite the headstock?
Guitars:
Jackson JS30KE Kelly
Jackson RRX10D
Fender Telecaster American Standard
Epiphone Acoustic
Amps:
Vox DA15
Marshall G80RCD
Pedals:
Boss GT-6
Boss MT-2
who cares, its 5 bucks. for that you cant go wrong.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by lefthandman9876
some generic jappy les paul copy for cert, i have one and i love it

there plywood but there pretty nice, i doubt thats an ibanez though

worth 50-100 bucks at the most

just keep it, there pretty nice guitars

yeah im definatly keeping it, its close enough to a real les paul im probably gunna get. ive played my friends epiphone les paul custom and this guitar is heavier and has a better feel than that.

Also, it does have plywood but the guitar body is 80% mahogany, the top is plywood, but it doesnt matter to me.
Quote by Flaming Chaos
did someone bite the headstock?

i have no idea lol but thats funny. Oh, i wanted to mention that the tuning pegs are grovers too, before them they were a vintage style tuning pegs, like they matched the binding which was cool but they were plastic.
Quote by NightEmbers
No it cant be a copy the whole headstock and the inlays in it give it away

IDK why it dont say gibson on it but if someone started producing these as a copy Gibson would have a bitch fit and go on a sueing frenzy

Google "Ibanez Gibson lawsuit"

Also, Gibson LP bodies aren't as wide.
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Jan 25, 2009,
Look at the catalog I posted. The early Ibanez copies did not put their name of the headstock.
If you bought that for 5 bucks, be very happy about it! Any serial number anywhere on this?
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
5 bucks .. you're kiddin rite?? i woulda payed 50

nice LP, dont sell it, you wont get much.. if i were you i'd refurbish it, it seems sturdy although its bolton which sucks a tad.

maybe new gotoh tuners, gotoh bridge, new pickups, full setup, then itll be a gem
Quote by jimithrash
5 bucks .. you're kiddin rite?? i woulda payed 50

nice LP, dont sell it, you wont get much.. if i were you i'd refurbish it, it seems sturdy although its bolton which sucks a tad.

maybe new gotoh tuners, gotoh bridge, new pickups, full setup, then itll be a gem

funny you'd say that, i went to guitarfetish.com and got me some parts. I have a GFS VEH pickup in the bridge, a GFS crunchy pat in the neck, and one of their tune-o-matics. i have the grovers and they keep it in tune.

I have a small problem though, i had to raise my bridge up so that the studs are approx. 1/8 inch over the body to eliminate the fret buzz. its very high action which im not used to so i dont know if thats right or not. Also, my bridge pickup is also raised u 1/8 inch over the pickup rings itself because the strings are so far from the body that the pickup doesnt make a sound lol.

ill get a picture of it up soon, but is this normal for a les paul? i play a schecter so its different to me and i dont know if its "normal"
Fake LP is Fake. It's supposed to look like an Gibby, the 3 screw head cover pins it as a chinese wanna be. Doesn't mean it's not a bad toy. i've got a Gib-baldwin music appreciation lp juniory thing (called a 'talent) that i garbage picked, it's in pieces at the moment (sanding, painting, installing new hardware, buying a nice Dirty fingers hum for it) but it should be fun.

Always nice to have a ****e guitar around that you can afford to abuse and remake to your own specs.
Only $5! Why not just give it to you for free?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Darkflame
i got an ibanez pre-sue thing, doesn't look like it
headstock doesn't have the diamond and has the vintage ''ibanez'' on the top
tuners are bell-shaped
buttons don't look like this

=)

(oh and mine has a set neck)

cool cool. ive changed all the parts on the guitar because the knobs and tuners that were on it were rusted or broken (top hat knobs were broken in half).

now its fixed up i think it sounds decent, heavy as hell but thats what les pauls are all about.