how many cans of spray paint and cans of clear coat do i need to paint a strat body?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Ash Lite Stratocaster
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
planet waves tuner-ts9dx tubescreamer-metal muff-boss ce-5-delta labs dd1 delay
One can of primer, one or two of colour, and two of clear coat, or up to three depending on how glossy you want it.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Probably just one of each should do it...maybe a second can of the color. One can of clear should do it.
Quote by Øttər
One can of primer, one or at least two of colour, and two of clear coat, or up to three depending on how glossy you want it.
*fixed*

Spraycans are so inexpensive anyway. I'd bump the clearcoat to at least 6 ... I usually stop when it's 3/4 empty to avoid spitting, etc.

6 cans of clearcoat?

What?

Damn!

Thanks for fixing it though Ippon, you're the paint masta!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
ok cool thanks guy, also do i need to do any sanding between cans if the coats look smooth?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
It depend's, if you're spraying a guitar that has a few layer's of paint, I.e. a EVH styled paint job where you can see the hieght between the paint layer's you'll need enough can's of clear to give upto (and beyond) 20 coat's of clearcoat, plus additional coats if you run into any problems when wet sanding.

What painting scheme/ colour are you doing by the way?

EDIT: No, dont sand between coats, once you apply the clearcoat and leave to dry you'll notice an orange peel type affect, just wait until the paint as cured for 1 month (yes you'll have to wait that amount of time, or else it'll be ruined) after it's cured when you start wet sanding, you'll get rid of the orange peel affect and you'll have a perfectly finnished glossy paint job, after finnishing with buffing compound and buffing ofcourse

*it'll go dull when you wet sand the clear gloss, but buffing will bring the shine back
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Last edited by Daniel8488 at Jan 25, 2009,
awesome, i'm just doing a solid red color
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr