When alternate pick between two string next to each other, do you pick them on the outside or the inside? Im asking cos im used to pick the inside of the strings, but for example paul gilbert teaches to pick the on the outside a lot O: so is there any written rule about this or is it a case of what ever pleases you?
I find picking the outsides more natural because you're using the motion of bringing the pick back between the strings to pluck a string whereas picking on the inside is like twice the work because you have to pick and then move back while trying not to hit the string again.

Either that or I've got it all wrong
Sometimes I do them all downpicked( for that nice metalcore sound), sometimes I downpick the low one and uppick the high one. That gives it a nice, flowing sound.
That's just what I prefer though. There's no 'must do'.
Quote by Superbeasti
When alternate pick between two string next to each other, do you pick them on the outside or the inside? Im asking cos im used to pick the inside of the strings, but for example paul gilbert teaches to pick the on the outside a lot O: so is there any written rule about this or is it a case of what ever pleases you?

The only rules is "EVERYTHING NEEDS CONTEXT!"

Seriously man, you can't just say "I'm always going to outside pick everything" because it's just not possible.

For the record though I prefer outside picking because I suck at inside picking.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I know the picking style depends on what you play...buuut... in so many licks, if you start with an upstroke or a downstroke changes the picking pattern...and returning to my original question, is there anything wrong to learn to use more inside picking just because my hands do that naturally :O
Quote by Superbeasti
I know the picking style depends on what you play...buuut... in so many licks, if you start with an upstroke or a downstroke changes the picking pattern...and returning to my original question, is there anything wrong to learn to use more inside picking just because my hands do that naturally :O

Ideally you should be able to do both but I do apppreciate that there are a few licks down the line (like the PG ones) that lend themselves more to outside picking.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.