Hello

Well i recently bought a Tokai S48 Standard Les Paul. it was about £300. i'm happy with the guitar its self. im a huge fan of metal and all the bands i like use Drop C. the guitar doesn't have a floyd rose system so i was wondering could i just put thick strings on and tune it to drop C or would i have to take it to a shop and get them to mess with the settings on it?

http://www.expressmusicstore.co.uk/products.asp?code=79303 (guitar)

Thank you for your time

Rock On

Edit: ahh! sorry, lol im right handed... i got the wrong guitar. everythings the same.
Last edited by misunderstood12 at Jan 25, 2009,
the truss rod and action would need to be adjusted along with having thicker string gauges put on.

then again you could probably do it yourself easily.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
It's such a tripout to see a left-handed guitar when you're expecting a right-handed guitar... You should be okay to use 10's or 11's for Drop C, Depending on the strings you use.

I personally like the Dean Markley Nickelsteel .11-.52 set. Very straightforward, optional wound G string (comes with both ) and they last for quite a while. Those or some Ernie ball Beefy's.

EDIT:

With the increase of gauge, one would think there'd have to be a large adjustment made to the truss rod. Because he's downtuning, however, he'll compensate for the increased gauge of string's excess tension and nearly no adjustment at all should have to be made (If it were a floating trem it'd be otherwise). You might want to adjust your intonation, but that's about it.
------

Shwiggity.
Last edited by deftonesordie at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by deftonesordie
It's such a tripout to see a left-handed guitar when you're expecting a right-handed guitar... You should be okay to use 10's or 11's for Drop C, Depending on the strings you use.

I personally like the Dean Markley Nickelsteel .11-.52 set. Very straightforward, optional wound G string (comes with both ) and they last for quite a while. Those or some Ernie ball Beefy's.

EDIT:

With the increase of gauge, one would think there'd have to be a large adjustment made to the truss rod. Because he's downtuning, however, he'll compensate for the increased gauge of string's excess tension and nearly no adjustment at all should have to be made (If it were a floating trem it'd be otherwise). You might want to adjust your intonation, but that's about it.

^^This. Be forewarned, some bridges literally do not have the capacity to allow dropped tunings as far as "perfect intonation" is concerned. That is why some bridges are designed specifically with large amounts of travel in the saddles for low tunings, like the Gibraltars.

Changing from something like 9's to 11's and then downtuning to drop C would require a relatively large change in saddle position, and some saddles just won't travel that far. Yours might though, so just give it a try, and if they don't, get it as close as possible and see if you're willing to bear the dodgy intonation. Some metal riffery doesn't even travel far enough up the neck for the issue to be that major. Just depends.