i can write lyrics and guitar parts just fine and i have a pretty good voice but I really just can't come up with a melody at all. Every time i think of one I subconsciously have copied a song. do you have any tips on coming up with good melodies? i am begging you.
Quote by loudog93
i can write lyrics and guitar parts just fine and i have a pretty good voice but I really just can't come up with a melody at all. Every time i think of one I subconsciously have copied a song. do you have any tips on coming up with good melodies? i am begging you.
Get out your guitar, noodle around until you've found something good. Find the scale this is in (study circle of fifths) and find which chords fit into this scale

Then phrase is. Read my blogs to learn how to phrase singing melodies.

After that, you need to apply it to the lyrics. Make sure every syllable has a note assigned to it. You may need to remove a few notes or words to make it fit. You might even need to assign two or three notes to a single syllable, which is fine and is used in some classic metal.

Some more advanced tips, you might want to make sure you use chord tones for the first note of every bar. This is a bit harder, but makes your melodies sound alot better.

You might also want to make sure you use a stressed syllable on the first note of every bar. Every syllable in a lyrical stanza is either stressed or unstressed, it's sort of like a rhthym but not really. Stressed syllables are longer and louder than unstressed intervals.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
I have the same problem. I just can't come up with melodies.
everything turns out like the bands i listen to too much...
a s h l e y + s t r a n g e