Ok, so I want to buy a new guitar and amp. At the moment i have a Stagg flying v and a microcube. I only ever practise at home, and probably won't be gigging for another couple of years, seeing as im still pretty young and don't have a band or anything. I'm currently pretty disappointed with my tone. I keep being told that I should spend more on an amp than a guitar, but the thing is, I don't really need an amp over 15 watts, or anything, do i? So the thing is, does the rule 'spend more on an amp than a guitar' still apply? Cause I want a decent guitar and everything but I dont exactly need a 50 watt combo.
Curses...i have nothing of interest to write in this here place.
if i were you, id still spend more on the amp, and even if you dont need 50 watts, it doesnt mean you cant get an amp that you like. whats your budget? and also, what are your microcube settings?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
if i were you, id still spend more on the amp, and even if you dont need 50 watts, it doesnt mean you cant get an amp that you like. whats your budget? and also, what are your microcube settings?

Well, my budget for a guitar is like £300-£450, and I'll probably get an amp for my birthday, which means £500, maybe just about £600 at max. And what do you mean by my microcube settings?
i mean the settings on your microcube.... as for the amp, im not sure what would be best to get seeing as you live in england, but im sure someone could help you out
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
i mean the settings on your microcube.... as for the amp, im not sure what would be best to get seeing as you live in england, but im sure someone could help you out

Well...I vary the settings depending on what I want, if i want hard rock/metal, i use the rectifier setting with loads of gain, if i want cleans, i usually put it on the Jc Clean or Acoustic setting...

EDIT: Also, seeing as i wont really be able to crank a 20-50 watter, would it still sound good, or would the sound be poor?
Last edited by GunsN'tallica at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by GunsN'tallica
Well...I vary the settings depending on what I want, if i want hard rock/metal, i use the rectifier setting with loads of gain, if i want cleans, i usually put it on the Jc Clean or Acoustic setting...

try the brit combo and classic stack for the hard rock stuff.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
I've tried those settings, I can get a decent ACDC sound from the brit combo, but the classic stack doesnt sound great to me...and also, I've been trying for ages to get nice slash/joe satriani tones...
i think that for your next amp, you should look into some marshall JCM's.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
*quickly searches marshall site* Hmm..yeah I like the look of the JCM 2000 DSL401, but I'm still not sure whether I need that many watts, and whether it will still sound ok really quiet..
While it's certainly true to say that most of your tone comes from your amp and therefore you spend more on that, in this case I think you're dead right and you should spend more on the guitar but still get a new amp that will give you better tone. For an amp, get a Peavey Vypyr 30w as that will give you loads of possible tones that are high quality and will be easily loud enough for the foreseeable future. What's more, it will only cost you £149

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/77819

This will still leave you £450 to get a very good guitar and you should find it a joy to play compared to your Stagg. Some guitars I'd strongly suggest you consider are:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=66779
This is an Ibanez RGT42 and is superb value at only £395 or you could get one with a flame maple top for £439 if you think it's important. This guitar benefits from a pickup upgrade as the stock ones are mediocre but you get a mahogany guitar with a neck-thru and an Edge Pro II bridge which is better than the Edge III that is on many of the other RG models at this price point. The neck-thru is incredible and this is the only guitar at this price point with such a feature.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=10988
This is an Ibanez S-470 and is a steal at only £399. Similar to the RGT, you can get one with a quilted maple top for £429. Like the RGT it has a mahogany body with a Wizard II neck, though this one isn't a neck-thru and has 22 frets instead of 24. Nevertheless, access to the upper frets is excellent and the H-S-H layout offers more tonal variations than the RGT. The body is wafer thin at the edges so it's very comfortable to play and the ZR trem system is superb. If it hadn't been for the fact that I wanted a neck-thru guitar I'd have certainly bought this one as it's just incredible.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=1254
A Jackson RR3 here and it's about the only pointy guitar I'd consider but as you're somewhat younger than me it is likely to appeal to you more. This is a brighter sounding guitar than the Ibanez models, partly because it uses an Alder body instead of mahogany. Mahogany guitars offer a thicker and more organic sound (think Gibson Les Paul which is mahogany) while the Alder on a Jackson reminds me more of a Fender Stratocaster, which is also usually Alder. The pickups are better on this Jackson than on the Ibanez but the trem system is certainly no better than the RGT (possibly worse) and certainly worse than the S-470. Which neck is best is up to you. I prefer Ibanez necks but than that's what I'm used to. Nevertheless, this is undoubtedly a very good guitar for the money.

For your budget, these are all excellent options for guitars and for my money they represent the best value available at this price point. Out of these three it is down to personal preference and I wouldn't have an issue with any of them, though obviously I have my own favourite. Love to know how you get on but I'm sure you'll be very happy.

EDIT: The Marshall DSL401 is very good and sounds OK at bedroom levels, though it's better cranked. You can also get some decent used ones on Ebay as I did but I still just don't think you need it at the moment and therefore it would be a waste of money. You're not talking of gigging for a couple of years and in that time your musical tastes may change and other alternatives will be available. There's just no point! Stick to the Vypyr 30w and a really good guitar.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Last edited by Doadman at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by Doadman
While it's certainly true to say that most of your tone comes from your amp and therefore you spend more on that, in this case I think you're dead right and you should spend more on the guitar but still get a new amp that will give you better tone. For an amp, get a Peavey Vypyr 30w as that will give you loads of possible tones that are high quality and will be easily loud enough for the foreseeable future. What's more, it will only cost you £149

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/77819

This will still leave you £450 to get a very good guitar and you should find it a joy to play compared to your Stagg. Some guitars I'd strongly suggest you consider are:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=66779
This is an Ibanez RGT42 and is superb value at only £395 or you could get one with a flame maple top for £439 if you think it's important. This guitar benefits from a pickup upgrade as the stock ones are mediocre but you get a mahogany guitar with a neck-thru and an Edge Pro II bridge which is better than the Edge III that is on many of the other RG models at this price point. The neck-thru is incredible and this is the only guitar at this price point with such a feature.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=10988
This is an Ibanez S-470 and is a steal at only £399. Similar to the RGT, you can get one with a quilted maple top for £429. Like the RGT it has a mahogany body with a Wizard II neck, though this one isn't a neck-thru and has 22 frets instead of 24. Nevertheless, access to the upper frets is excellent and the H-S-H layout offers more tonal variations than the RGT. The body is wafer thin at the edges so it's very comfortable to play and the ZR trem system is superb. If it hadn't been for the fact that I wanted a neck-thru guitar I'd have certainly bought this one as it's just incredible.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=1254
A Jackson RR3 here and it's about the only pointy guitar I'd consider but as you're somewhat younger than me it is likely to appeal to you more. This is a brighter sounding guitar than the Ibanez models, partly because it uses an Alder body instead of mahogany. Mahogany guitars offer a thicker and more organic sound (think Gibson Les Paul which is mahogany) while the Alder on a Jackson reminds me more of a Fender Stratocaster, which is also usually Alder. The pickups are better on this Jackson than on the Ibanez but the trem system is certainly no better than the RGT (possibly worse) and certainly worse than the S-470. Which neck is best is up to you. I prefer Ibanez necks but than that's what I'm used to. Nevertheless, this is undoubtedly a very good guitar for the money.

For your budget, these are all excellent options for guitars and for my money they represent the best value available at this price point. Out of these three it is down to personal preference and I wouldn't have an issue with any of them, though obviously I have my own favourite. Love to know how you get on but I'm sure you'll be very happy.

Wow, thanks a lot for the reccomendations! I quite like the look of those Ibanezes, but not so much the Jackson, I'd like to steer away from flying v's lol As for the amp, I'd prefer it to be tube, maybe a Valveking 112 or something if i were to stick to a lower budget. Cause basically, what'll happen is if i get a guitar thats cheaper than the amo i want, ill ask my parents for the amp for my birthday, and vice versa.
Obviously the Ibanez guitars would be my choice and they're both fantastic value, though the RGT is getting more difficult to locate as it's on runout now due to the introduction of the RGT6EX which is worse in my opinion and a damn site more expensive!

As for the amp, I'd refer you to the edit on my last post. Valve amps do offer superior tone generally but it's not as simple as you might imagine. The Valve King is a cheap valve amp but it's cheap because it's nothing special. I understand it takes upgrades to valves and speakers well but that's more expense and when I tried it in stock condition it really was nothing special. In all honesty, for that money I'd rather get either a Peavey Vypyr 75w or a used Marshall DSL401 (which is what I did). The other thing to consider is that valve amps sound a hell of a lot better when they're cranked while a solid state or hybrid amps will sound great at bedroom levels as well as useable for gigs. If you buy something like a Valve King now with a view to possibly gigging in a couple of years time, I guarantee you that in two years time you'll still buy a new amp because you'll have more money available to get a decent valve amp and you will have far more choice available to you. It's your money but I REALLY think that getting a big valve amp now would be a mistake. Get the Vypyr and put the balance into a savings account ready for a really good amp when you are ready to start gigging. In the meantime, the Vypyr 30w is very loud and could possibly still be used for small gigs if needed.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by GunsN'tallica
As for the amp, I'd prefer it to be tube, maybe a Valveking 112

a marshall dsl401 has less wattage than a VK112
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jan 25, 2009,