So I was on guitarcenter.com and came across the Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plain top) in ebony. I then checked out the gibson pickups and realized something. For 300 dollars less than a Les Paul Studio, I could get an Epi and put a gibson 57 classic plus and a 57 classic in it and have a better pickup selection than on the Gibson les paul studio. Is there a flaw in my logic or for 800 dollars can I get a better guitar than one that costs 1100?
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Don't do it.. Epi's lose their value no matter what pickups are in it.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

Quote by guitar99099
Don't do it.. Epi's lose their value no matter what pickups are in it.

When was he asking about re-sale value?
I don't mind the sound that I can get out of epiphone les pauls, I just can't get over the feel of them. The whole thing feels cheap compared to a Gibson.
Just look for a used studio. Much better choice
So you think a guitar is all about pickups... why dont o buy a lame ass stagg and put some gibson pickups in it....
How about the wood/neck/electronics/painting?
That's why gibsons are more expensive... not because of 100$ pickups...
+1 on used studio if you really want one, otherwise I would look to other brands.
" different guesses, both have duds made under their name, the gibsons are overall better put together, better fret job, finish, electronics, but the wheight relief makes down for a would-be good guitar, the body can't resonnate like a les paul should, depends on your tastes maybe...

If you take time to wisely pick an epiphone with no fret buzz, have it set up properly, and swap the electronics for a good rig you would have a preatty sweet guitar, the extra 100$s spent on a gibson would be better off by sitting in your wallet.

If you're cranked enough sand down the finish on the epi, and repaint it, with the poly finish gone, the wood will be able to breathe and air out like vintage gibsons, but that's a bit more complex in an applied situation, check out more info on the web.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Quote by JessicaGonzo
How about a esp ltd Ec and change the pickups. They are cheaper and are made better.

That's pretty objective...

TS, i wouldn't put gibson pickups in any guitar unless they were burstbuckers because most people end up replacing the stock ones...
if you go the epiphone route, I suggest putting seymour duncans, dimarzios or any other brand of premium pickups, rather than gibsons. The actual gibson pickups are just nicer versions of the epiphone ones these days, so, I suggest getting something more specialized.

Also, look for a used epi. I've got a '96 epi that I absolutely love and it impresses a lot of people when they play it. And if you do go Epi, make sure you play it first, they QC isn't that great, and a lot of duds slip past the line.

edit: typo, sorry, it's hard to type with a wrist brace.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by Pac_man0123
That's pretty objective...

TS, i wouldn't put gibson pickups in any guitar unless they were burstbuckers because most people end up replacing the stock ones...
I'll second this. BurstBucker #1/#2/#3s are great but that's it. Every other pickup that Gibson makes is done better and cheaper by other brands.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I'll second this. BurstBucker #1/#2/#3s are great but that's it. Every other pickup that Gibson makes is done better and cheaper by other brands.

I would say it's the most prominent case with the BBs.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SEMANTHUM
Which are slightly cheaper than the Gibsons, and for the same price of the BBs, you could pick up a set of either Wolfetone Dr. Vintages, or WCR Crossroads, and then there are High Orders which pretty much put any pickup to shame in terms of a pure value standpoint.
Quote by al112987
I would say it's the most prominent case with the BBs.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SEMANTHUM
Which are slightly cheaper than the Gibsons, and for the same price of the BBs, you could pick up a set of either Wolfetone Dr. Vintages, or WCR Crossroads, and then there are High Orders which pretty much put any pickup to shame in terms of a pure value standpoint.
As far as the SD goes, it's higher-output than even the BB#3. Can't speak on the others 'cause I've not even heard of them.

Speaking of which, that's the main thing the Gibsons have over every other brand; variety. Most other brands offer one pickup made in this way, but Gibson offer thrre different versions.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Alright thanks and I found this really cool site called Stewart MacDonald at Stewmac.com They sell these 50 dollar pickups called Golden Age anyone tried em? Ive seen some good reviews but im worried it might just be someone who is just braggin about their new pickups.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Quote by Dirty_Civilian
Neither. Get a ESP/LTD.

This.
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Get an elitist epiphone.

Gibson minus the (stupid) nitro finish.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by MrFlibble
As far as the SD goes, it's higher-output than even the BB#3. Can't speak on the others 'cause I've not even heard of them.

Speaking of which, that's the main thing the Gibsons have over every other brand; variety. Most other brands offer one pickup made in this way, but Gibson offer thrre different versions.

A lot of makers do, as far as PAF pickups go, High Order handwinds "PAFs" anywhere from 7k to 10k, with either A2, A3, A4, or A5 magnets (all of which were used in PAFs), either symmetrically or asymmetrically wound, and all for $70 USD a pop. And this is the case with just about any hand winder as well, from WCR to Bareknuckle, to WB to Lollar... etc, Even Seymour Duncan has their own variations on the PAF, whether it's the Seth Lover model, '59, Pearly Gates, or Antiquity. I mean, the "PAF" tone is so variable that it's impossible to say what is authenetic and what isn't. I've heard of original A5 PAFs wound to the 10.5K range, which is really beyond what most people would consider "vintage output."

I know it sounds like I'm playing devil's advocate here, but pickups are one of the areas that I really see no point in buying a Gibson.
i have an epiphone les paul ultra with a burstbucker pro in the neck and a gibson dirty fingers in the bridge. if money wasnt an option i would still choose MY epi over almosty any other gibson. and dont say "oh well you havent played any good ones". iv played ones that you cant find in guitar centers at a local music shop that some asshole named tom murphy aged and set up personaly and there all over rated. long live epiphine.
Pearly Gates isn't actually made to PAF standards. It's purposefully made a slittle snappier.

But no, fair enough, I see your point on the hand made brands.

Thing is for me in the UK, the only two hand made brands that are viabale are Bare Knuckles and Swinesheads (even when others can ship to the UK, by the time we add on our VAT and import tax plus the customs handling - yes, even on something as small as a pickup - it becomes too expensive). I've had bad experinces with Bare Knuckles in the past and they cost more than the Gibsons now and Swinesheads are fine but they don't make anything remotely like a PAF-copy.

So for me, the BurstBuckers are the cheapest PAF copy I have access to. Considering they sound more than good enough and I have easy cheap access to them... well I have no reason to look elsewhere.
Quote by brownsfan456
So I was on guitarcenter.com and came across the Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plain top) in ebony. I then checked out the gibson pickups and realized something. For 300 dollars less than a Les Paul Studio, I could get an Epi and put a gibson 57 classic plus and a 57 classic in it and have a better pickup selection than on the Gibson les paul studio. Is there a flaw in my logic or for 800 dollars can I get a better guitar than one that costs 1100?

that still doesnt make it a gibson...sorry lol... dont waste your time, save your money for the real **** and youll be much happier in the long run
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by willieturnip
Get an elitist epiphone.

Gibson minus the (stupid) nitro finish.

What's so stupid about a nitro finish?

Have you ever played a twenty or thirty year old guitar that has one? The wood breathes with the nitro and ages with the guitar. Making for one beautiful sounding instrument.

Its not all emgs and metal around here.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
that still doesnt make it a gibson...sorry lol... dont waste your time, save your money for the real **** and youll be much happier in the long run

Just because it doesnt say Gibson on the headstock doesn't mean it's not "real" or a waste of time and money.
Quote by MrFlibble
Pearly Gates isn't actually made to PAF standards. It's purposefully made a slittle snappier.

But no, fair enough, I see your point on the hand made brands.

Thing is for me in the UK, the only two hand made brands that are viabale are Bare Knuckles and Swinesheads (even when others can ship to the UK, by the time we add on our VAT and import tax plus the customs handling - yes, even on something as small as a pickup - it becomes too expensive). I've had bad experinces with Bare Knuckles in the past and they cost more than the Gibsons now and Swinesheads are fine but they don't make anything remotely like a PAF-copy.

So for me, the BurstBuckers are the cheapest PAF copy I have access to. Considering they sound more than good enough and I have easy cheap access to them... well I have no reason to look elsewhere.

You might want to look at Shed pickups which are based in the UK, I haven't tried them myself but I've heard great things about them; they look like they have tons of mojo as well. I'm particularly interested in their PAF Daddys and Shed Zeppelins.

http://www.shedpickups.com/

But if the BBs work, then there is really no change in fixing what isn't broke. And I agree about Bareknuckle, Imo they're overrated, yet people talk about them around here as some sort of holy grail.
Quote by boxcarmonument

Its not all emgs and metal around here.

Nah, I'm not a metalhead, I just like the ESP LP-shaped guitars (the ones with passive pickups anyways, I hate EMG's)
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
TS look at this, this LTD has a great rep and IMO well kill any Epi and probably any Gibson LP studio although this is the "old" model ESP is coming out w/ a "401" version of this and all their "400" series guitars so keep that in mind.
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by brownsfan456
Alright thanks and I found this really cool site called Stewart MacDonald at Stewmac.com They sell these 50 dollar pickups called Golden Age anyone tried em? Ive seen some good reviews but im worried it might just be someone who is just braggin about their new pickups.

The golden age pickups are ok, not great, from what I understand, the GFS pickups are about the same and go for less. They'll probably give you about the same sound as the new Epiphone pickups (they do use Alnico these days, instead of ceramic), so, I'd suggest springing for SD's, personally. Depending on the sound you're going for, you can get anything.

I used a JB/59 combo in my paul with a coil split on the bridge and I get great tone and versatility. If you want some strictly vintage, 59's and Seth Lovers would work great. Or even antiquities if you want to really spring the cash.

If you want something totally nasty, Super Distortions by dimarzio, Invaders, Full Shreds, JBs and Distortions from SD are great.

You can even get HB sized P90's if you wanted.
with epiphones...you can put some gibson pickups in it and make it sound good...but the problem is that you can never make the epi sounds AS good as the gibson. Granted the quality of gibson is slipping...it would be more cost effecient to go the epi route if you dont care about resale and the name. Its all what you want to do...but if you want to make an epi sound like a gibson....it can never be the same thing. But it will def sound better
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Orange Tiny Terror with 1x12 cab
Big Muff
Vox Clyge McCoy Wah Pedel
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by Led Zeppelin 67
with epiphones...you can put some gibson pickups in it and make it sound good...but the problem is that you can never make the epi sounds AS good as the gibson. Granted the quality of gibson is slipping...it would be more cost effecient to go the epi route if you dont care about resale and the name. Its all what you want to do...but if you want to make an epi sound like a gibson....it can never be the same thing. But it will def sound better

I don't know, my Epiphone sounds better than most low end gibsons with the duncan pickups in it. It definately doesn't feel like it's as well made and doesn't look as nice, but it sounds and plays as nice, if not nicer, than most special, studio or standard gibsons I've played, but... I did swap the pickups, new nut, fret work, tuners, electronics and put a gibson bridge and stop-bar on it... so, litterally, the neck and body are the only things epiphone on it.

it even has a gibson pickgaurd and knobs on it...
^ yeah true...but on the whole epiphone is lower than gibson. At least with the new pups the guitar will be almost to its full potential...just also need change some of the other electronics
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Orange Tiny Terror with 1x12 cab
Big Muff
Vox Clyge McCoy Wah Pedel
Holy Grail Reverb