Page 1 of 2
I am a Fender bass player just curious to see which bass more people like; the Precision or the Jazz bass. Please tell me why you like it, and the style of music you play on it.
Jazz, so versatile and sounds good to my ears. you can play pretty much any genre on a jazz.
I don't have a fender bass, but i have tried both out, and i personally prefer the P bass, nice versatile tone. The style i'd use it to play would vary a lot, but i find you can get a nice post rock tone out of them
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Well, I've only played a Jazz...
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
I reallt like them both, but would in the end choose a jazz, most likely an american deluxe.
I would if i could also have a p, they are both great bass's. Niether is better than the next.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I prefer jazz's to be honest, but you just cant get the same thick bassyness on a jazz that you can get on a Precision =P
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Lakland Joe Osborne

So basically a Jazz. I play a lot of reggae, jazz, hiphop, and alt-rock.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
I like and own both - however, the both I own are quite different than what some would consider a Jazz or Precision. The '51 Precision has a voice of its own, and an active 5-string Jazz with noiseless pickups is quite different than a '62 reissue.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I love standard p-basses. 2 knobs, 4 strings. simple.(like me ) love that punch too. and the chunky neck is lovely. never been a fan of the jazzes, they dont really do it for me. not saying there bad, just not for me.
Last edited by The 7.18 at Jan 25, 2009,
i have both and like both. if i had to keep only one of them i would keep my jazz as it is a lot easier to play and is more versitile.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I prefer P basses. Despite having only one pickup, I find them to be much more versatile than jazz basses. Js sound so thin, there's barely and lo mid response. That's where the P excels. I prefer P necks, too.
That being said, they are both great styles of bass. I would take the lowliest Squier over the most expensive Warwick or Ibanez and day.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it's hard to find a fretless P. This pisses me off to no end.
Probably a jazz bass, I've never been too bothered by the P bass thump and that warm growl and fast neck is just beautiful.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
i'm getting sick of p vs j threads

you know what i'm gonna spice it up a little

I LOVE P BASSES!!!! THEY ARE AWESOME FOR EVERY CONCIEVABLE FORM OF MUSICAL EXPRESSION!!! I WANT TO OWN A FENDER P BASS!! WITH A ROSEWOOD FRETBOARD!!!

disclaimer: the views stated in this post are completely untruthful and should be taken as such
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
i'm getting sick of p vs j threads

you know what i'm gonna spice it up a little

I LOVE P BASSES!!!! THEY ARE AWESOME FOR EVERY CONCIEVABLE FORM OF MUSICAL EXPRESSION!!! I WANT TO OWN A FENDER P BASS!! WITH A ROSEWOOD FRETBOARD!!!

disclaimer: the views stated in this post are completely truthful and should be taken as such
The PBass necks are better for some people ... I prefer them to the JBass neck.

I'd have to say J, though I don't have a ton of experience with them. The neck on the J just suits me much better than does the one on the P.
I have a p bass but I've liked every j bass I've played much more than my p bass.
I Like Green!
Hot Rod Red Jaguar bass. All the way.

Anyway, on topic: I like P-basses better than Jazz. They look cooler, they sound nicer, they feel better, etc.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
urge 2. both. problem truly solved.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by food1010
Hot Rod Red Jaguar bass. All the way.

Anyway, on topic: I like P-basses better than Jazz. They look cooler, they sound nicer, they feel better, etc.

If you like P-basses better then why say a jag? Its basically a Jazz.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
They both have good qualities.

for Funk, Rock, Blues, Hard Rock and Punk I'd play a P bass, Maple fretboard.

for Jazz, Funk, Rock, Hard Rock and Punk I'd play a Jazz.

depends on what the song calls for.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by thefitz
I like and own both - however, the both I own are quite different than what some would consider a Jazz or Precision. The '51 Precision has a voice of its own, and an active 5-string Jazz with noiseless pickups is quite different than a '62 reissue.

I kind of feel the same way. But if I had to choose, the '51 P.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Well, I love the jazz's crisp, bright tone, but for pretty much all funk and soul I'd go for a P any day. I'm hoping I'll find a J-styled P/J config with five strings.

Fat chance
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
P basses to me seem like the mammoths of all basses, they seem so heavy and the necks are really wide.. I also agree with jazz basses being versatile, with a decent amp it's not too difficult to get the bassiness out of them
I have a Precision.

I don't like it.

Ergo, I must like the Jazz bass more.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Ergo, your logic... is just something else.

Anyway, the jazz is unarguably better so this question is irrelevant.

Don't you love my genius?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Page 1 of 2