Hey all,

Was browsing around and ran into Vaccaro aluminum guitars. Their guitars are machined completely out of aluminum and have ebonol (some type of plastic) fret boards. In the same place I saw guitars with carbon fiber fretboards. Would anyone please take the time to explain to me anything gained from these things, the aluminum neck and alternative fretboard materials?

Thanks
The only benefit I can think of is that if you go fretless you'll get a cool slide-y tone
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
It's different. Thats why I want to use glass in some build in the future as a fret board.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
The only experience I have with ebonol fretboards is on my Squier VM Fretless Jazz bass. And it plays nice, way smooth, course there are no frets, but I like it. I do miss the feel of wood under my fingers, I swear to god if any makes a joke..., but then i just go play my guitar. Ebonol's nice. I dunno in comparison to ebony.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Quote by JF-SH1
I do miss the feel of wood under my fingers

Wat?

OT: Ebanol might be nice for fretless basses and guitars, but that's the only thing that I think I would prefer it for.
Ebanol is a good alternative for wood and w/e you put over it for a fretless, as it doesnt wear alot. I would only use it for fretless stuff, nothing more. Ebanol, along with carbon fibre and Aluminum also wouldnt warp like normal wood could, and is also probably stronger than wood, which is why carbon fiber or graphite necks dont need truss rods, but as sooo expensive.
Quote by C/ruel
It's different. Thats why I want to use glass in some build in the future as a fret board.

That would be cool, but it would be a pain in the neck to cut fret slots in, since you can't really saw glass well.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
It seems to me that aluminum would fluctuate in size more with temperature than wood would.

I've seen a jazzbox with a wild acrylic-impregnated wood fretboard. Those are kind of cool.

If I remember right, there was something on Unfretted about a glass fretboard, but I don't recall.

Oh! I think the Ibanez Jem has a mother of pearl/abalone fretboard

I was working on a project with a polished-epoxy finish on a painted fretless fingerboard, but it stalled when the paint got ruined and I gave up. I've still got a mint fretless neck sitting at my friend's house waiting to have something done with it, now that I think about it. Maybe when I resolve some of the projects I've got going now I'll come back to that.

Anyway, I got the idea for the polished epoxy from a bass company that might have been named Thor or something similar. They would do huge inlays and then cover the whole thing in epoxy and polish it.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
It seems to me that aluminum would fluctuate in size more with temperature than wood would.

Nowhere near enough to make any kind of difference at all. Using these values for linear expansion coefficient for wood and aluminium, a scale length of 65cm, and a generous estimate for temperature range of 30 degrees Celsius, the wood would get 0.1mm longer (new length 65.01cm) while the aluminium would get 0.4mm longer (new length 65.04cm). Bearing in mind this is a generous estimate, it's safe to say temperature fluctuations will have no discernible effect on the neck length, regardless of whether a wood or aluminium fretboard is used.
Last edited by GelDouche at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by Invader Jim
His post involves maths. He must be right.

sigged.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
He's joking...

The way you went about explaining it was a bit comical, that's all.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by GelDouche
Nowhere near enough to make any kind of difference at all. Using these values for linear expansion coefficient for wood and aluminium, a scale length of 65cm, and a generous estimate for temperature range of 30 degrees Celsius, the wood would get 0.1mm longer (new length 65.01cm) while the aluminium would get 0.4mm longer (new length 65.04cm). Bearing in mind this is a generous estimate, it's safe to say temperature fluctuations will have no discernible effect on the neck length, regardless of whether a wood or aluminium fretboard is used.

Works for me! I'm glad I now know that.

All I know for sure is that if something doesn't move when you're trying to take it off an engine or wheel hub, the first step is to hit it with a hammer. That doesn't ever work but it makes you feel better. Then hold a propane torch on it for a while and hit it again. Sometimes that works.

I figured it was a bigger number
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...